Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
[h=1]2014 PFF Offensive Line Rankings[/h]Khaled Elsayed | January 8, 2015

• Share by Email
2014OL-1.png
In years gone by rush totals, sack numbers and reputation have been the largest factors in determining how good offensive linemen are in the public arena. We here at PFF like to think we’re doing something about that, isolating the play of linemen to assess their true worth.
So with that in mind, every year we unveil our yearly Offensive Line Rankings, and this year is no different. Intrigued to see which unit is the best or how you’re team match up? Well now you can.
(Last year’s rankings are in parenthesis)
32. Miami Dolphins (21st)
Pass Blocking Ranking: 32nd, Run Blocking Ranking: 31st, Penalties Ranking: 29th
Stud: When Branden Albert went down things did not go well. He was in All-Pro contention before the injury struck and it was a huge blow to lose him.
Dud: In preseason Dallas Thomas (-32.7) struggled at guard. So naturally, being forced to start at right tackle did not go well as he was overmatched and routinely beaten.
Breakdown: Just horrible. The 210 combined sacks, hits and hurries they allowed were most in the league and they weren’t much better in the run game. The musical chairs that saw Mike Pouncey to guard and Ja’Waun James to left tackle had a detrimental effect and it was brutal to watch them. It’s a young group that needs to play better

If this ranking is true to form it speaks volumes to tannehill and Lamar Miller's abilities

I don't think the run blocking was as bad as PFF ranks us. The read option helped us a lot in the OL department, but unless we get some better OL players I can't see us tossing out the read option section of our playbook.

If this ranking is true to form it speaks volumes to tannehill and Lamar Miller's abilities

The OL wasnt ranked last in 2013 and there is no chance in hell the 2014 OL was worse than the 2013 OL so with that being said PFF's grade is completely inaccurate, which isnt surprising given PFF grading system is crap to begin with.

No No No way that is possible. I just read the whole thread saying that our line and the Cowboys line were pretty much the same.

The OL wasnt ranked last in 2013 and there is no chance in hell the 2014 OL was worse than the 2013 OL so with that being said PFF's grade is completely inaccurate, which isnt surprising given PFF grading system is crap to begin with.

I don't know. A few less sacks, but I wonder if one of the research guru's on here has the stats on the hits/hurries/time to contact. I could be wrong but I see that being abysmal in 2014.

If you're comparing the Phins O-line year to year than perhaps not. But if you're comparing this years line vs the rest of the league this year, there's no reason to think this isn't accurate.

If you're comparing the Phins O-line year to year than perhaps not. But if you're comparing this years line vs the rest of the league this year, there's no reason to think this isn't accurate.

Good point

They were horrible at times but I find it hard to believe that a line standing in front of a 4000 yard passer and a 1000 yard rusher were the absolute worst.

I'll be shocked if those who live and breathe statistical data and blame the offensive struggles on the QB make an appearance to discuss this.

Really don't need statistical data to tell us what we all saw. The loss of Albert was a fatal blow.

Waiting for WV and junc to come running into this thread holding hands and pointing to Tanny as the cause of the terrible O-line play. :bobdole:

he's not THE cause but he is not blameless either and they ranked Miami 21 last year which I heard was the worst OL in the history of league. Not sure how we can trust all these rankings but either way the team at 30 won more games, the team at 29 won more games, 27 won more games, 24 made playoffs, 23 is 1 seed in AFC, 22 in div rd so apparently you are allowed to win even if the OL isn't great.

Back
Top Bottom