Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014

Considering what Tannehill had to cope with all last season and this one, especially after Albert went down, it's amazing he's still standing, let alone that he managed to win half his games including beating 3 winning teams last season and 4 in 2013 (add another 2 in 2012)

he's not THE cause but he is not blameless either and they ranked Miami 21 last year which I heard was the worst OL in the history of league. Not sure how we can trust all these rankings but either way the team at 30 won more games, the team at 29 won more games, 27 won more games, 24 made playoffs, 23 is 1 seed in AFC, 22 in div rd so apparently you are allowed to win even if the OL isn't great.
When you get good defensive play like the Bills, or have Tom Brady as your QB you can make up for deficiencies. A lack of depth, an equally critical injury to Delmas, poor ST play and questionable game management decisions were huge factors in our season going south.

Tannehill has some blame but not at the level a couple of posters would like you to think.

Tannehill must be wearing a Kevlar uni, dude is one tough sob

We were 2nd in the league with 4.7 yards per rushing attempt. Very hard for me to take that rushing grade seriously with such lofty running stats.

that rushing result for the year is completely scheme driven...completely

god knows the oline personnel wasn't driving it i can tell ya that...the best run blocker on the team was on the bench in shelley smith cause of pass pro inconsistencies early when he got looks

When you get good defensive play like the Bills, or have Tom Brady as your QB you can make up for deficiencies. A lack of depth, an equally critical injury to Delmas, poor ST play and questionable game management decisions were huge factors in our season going south.

"or have Tom Brady as your QB", I have heard he is a younger version. Again, I don't put it all on Ryan, I think he deserves less blame this year than last year BUT he doesn't go blameless.

SD had better record w/ similarly ranked D, KC didn't have great O and had some injuries and had better record, AZ won more games w/ al their injuries.

I do agree there were many factors and Ryan was not at the top of the list this year but failure is failure. Miller averaged 5.1 YPC(still 4.7 if you take away 97 yd run), how bad could the OL have been? I know they struggled after Albert went down, kind of oppiste of last year where they struggled early and got better late while this year were good early and got better late but the QB wasn't that good the 1st half the season when the OL was good.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Considering what Tannehill had to cope with all last season and this one, especially after Albert went down, it's amazing he's still standing, let alone that he managed to win half his games including beating 3 winning teams last season and 4 in 2013 (add another 2 in 2012)

One thing I love about Ryan is his toughness. No one can question that.

from week 4 on the qb was top 10 in the league...so all of this fails...even with albert going down...bottom line is when he had time to make plays he did guys...dont let anyone tell you anything different...

some people just are here to ruin the board...

Oh there is no doubt Tannehill polished that turd of a line and I have no qualms saying they were one of the worst. I just don't see them being THE worst.

whether they were worst or not i dont care...but when the teams offense struggled from week 4 on it was absolutely about the protections play...point blank...you can't always score 35 ppg fellas it doesnt happen like that...the d's playing also...

look at week 17 i watched philip rivers in a win and get in game have no damn chance cause of protection vs kc...did the qb fail??? hardly... watched matt ryan get pummeled for most of the panthers game win or go home and then he started feeling that pressure in his head and threw 2 pick 6's while that game was still in the balance

is what it is...quick immediate pressure before your back foot can hit or in your face up the middle ruins things...

tannehills no different that any other qb in that regard...only difference is he doesnt give away games despite it cause he's tough as nails and always always always stands in...most qbs would be mush if they took the contact that kids taken thru 3 years...they would be done or have sustained serious injuries

No one is here to ruin board, we are here to discuss. you feel one way and that's ok, others feel another way.

1)weeks 1-3 count
2) a top 10 QB from week 4 on doesn't lead his O to 13 pts in each of the biggest games of the season. you can use any excuse you want about OL, D, etc... when the season was over he didn't have a hard time leading O to 35 pts against Minnesota but in the biggest games 13 PPG didn't cut it. They may have lost anyway b/c of the struggles of the D but lose scoring 24-30, give your team a chance and he didn't do that. so top 5, 10, 15, 20- it doesn't matter.

whether they were worst or not i dont care...but when the teams offense struggled from week 4 on it was absolutely about the protections play...point blank...you can't always score 35 ppg fellas it doesnt happen like that...the d's playing also...

look at week 17 i watched philip rivers in a win and get in game have no damn chance cause of protection vs kc...did the qb fail??? hardly... watched matt ryan get pummeled for most of the panthers game win or go home and then he started feeling that pressure in his head and threw 2 pick 6's while that game was still in the balance

is what it is...quick immediate pressure before your back foot can hit or in your face up the middle ruins things...

tannehills no different that any other qb in that regard...only difference is he doesnt give away games despite it cause he's tough as nails and always always always stands in...most qbs would be mush if they took the contact that kids taken thru 3 years...they would be done or have sustained serious injuries

If there was a category for toughest QB, Tannehill would be top 3 right now for sure, if not number 1.

it's all bs fellas...the other thing that hurt miami is getting behind the sticks with presnap penalties and lost yardage on first down...it just helps a team expose your protection even more...rush 4 drop 7 and still get home in a nanosecond is a recipe for disaster on long downs and distances...i mean they just exploit your weaknesses and wait for your qb to force something...which i'm glad tannehill rarely does...just cause things around him are going to **** i dont want my qb developing bad "i'm just gonna throw it up there despite coverage and no wrs that can play the ball above their head anyways" habits

the only thing that would have happened different had he just forced things like that is people would be doing end of year qb comparisons like qbr etc and bitching cause his rating was lower as a result of it...i know the way things work around here...it's rediculous

when they get things figured out "around" this qb we will be legit...til then i can have patience despite all the noise here

No one is here to ruin board, we are here to discuss. you feel one way and that's ok, others feel another way.

1)weeks 1-3 count
2) a top 10 QB from week 4 on doesn't lead his O to 13 pts in each of the biggest games of the season. you can use any excuse you want about OL, D, etc... when the season was over he didn't have a hard time leading O to 35 pts against Minnesota but in the biggest games 13 PPG didn't cut it. They may have lost anyway b/c of the struggles of the D but lose scoring 24-30, give your team a chance and he didn't do that. so top 5, 10, 15, 20- it doesn't matter.

He does when he has one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.

that rushing result for the year is completely scheme driven...completely

god knows the oline personnel wasn't driving it i can tell ya that...the best run blocker on the team was on the bench in shelley smith cause of pass pro inconsistencies early when he got looks

Have to say some of the same on the pass. Without all the short throws, I could easily have seen RT being sacked as much as last year, maybe more.

I don't think the run blocking was as bad as PFF ranks us. The read option helped us a lot in the OL department, but unless we get some better OL players I can't see us tossing out the read option section of our playbook.

We were masking a lot of deficiencies with the read option. During the 4 minute offense when we really needed to run the football the O-line couldn't block anyone, then when we tried to pass in those situations the pressure got to Tannehill so fast he had no chance...the Green Bay and Detroit games really stand out to me and in both situations we didn't try the zone read. Green Bay game both Pouncey and Satele were terrible in the 4 minute offense. They got beat badly on the pass Tannehill tried to throw where he had two defenders on him before he could even set his feet and then both of them got beat badly on the Lamar Miller run where he gained only a yard.

Zone read masked the poor blocking from the interior of the line...when we lost Albert and had to bring in Dallas Thomas we could no longer block the edges either and the rushing offense got worse and worse...Tannehill was basically carrying the rushing offense through the zone read and how well he read the DE in those situations.

I'm also in the minority on here in thinking that Pouncey isn't as good as everyone thinks he is around here. He was bad as a RG, a position he played at Florida, and some might say he's a center but he was pretty bad last year and only made the pro bowl because of name recognition. How many offensive lineman make it to the pro bowl when their O-line lead the league in QB sacks and are 29th in rushing offense? None that deserve to go. His bother could go because of injury so they took the next Pouncey on the list.

Back
Top Bottom