Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014

"or have Tom Brady as your QB", I have heard he is a younger version. Again, I don't put it all on Ryan, I think he deserves less blame this year than last year BUT he doesn't go blameless.

SD had better record w/ similarly ranked D, KC didn't have great O and had some injuries and had better record, AZ won more games w/ al their injuries.

I do agree there were many factors and Ryan was not at the top of the list this year but failure is failure. Miller averaged 5.1 YPC(still 4.7 if you take away 97 yd run), how bad could the OL have been? I know they struggled after Albert went down, kind of oppiste of last year where they struggled early and got better late while this year were good early and got better late but the QB wasn't that good the 1st half the season when the OL was good.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

One thing I love about Ryan is his toughness. No one can question that.

Simply questioning how bad the OL could be is a clear indicator that a guy with your knowledge didn't watch many Dolphins games. Highlight reels and box scores severely limits ones ability to give concise evaluation.

the baltimore game was the "biggest" game of the season...not the patriots road game where we had no chance going there with that lb core...i mean no chance..so let's set that straight from the get go...even though tanny balled out in the first half vs the pats which also seems to go forgotten around here

and against balt other than one missed ball where his back foot hit to wallace in the corner of the end zone he overthrew with pressure in his face as he completed his drop even from the right tackle and the left tackle also back at him the qb had no chance in the 4th quarter of that game...i'm just gonna set this **** straight...i got the tape of the game...in the 4th quarter after we kicked that fg and it was 14-13 the balt o went back to back 80 yard td drives 4 minutes each long on our d...

the qb had exactly 2 plays in that fourth quarter from that point on he could even get to his second progression before contact...one down big late he tried to hit a crosser to hartline despite drop zone a lb almost got to trying to make a play and another...that's it...the rest the kids back foot couldnt even hit...the right tackle play from d thomas vs dumervil was horrific...and the interior also let him down with hits from #90 all in his legs and that dt #97 even hitting him late and landing his body weight on him

so really like i said fellas this is all blatant bs

as for the zone read that was put in motion to jump start the run game...period...they exposed our qb to more contact cause they wanted to establish the run and they knew the threat of his legs with the ball would help that...and it did

it had absolutely nothing to do with quality play by the oline up front in the run game...hell the right tackles run game work james was horrid...love the kid but he's awful in the run game...you played a finesse front and you got finesse results...and when you had a chance to install some pop and some thud you left it on the bench in shelley smith or played musical chairs with a pretty washed up colledge...not to mention your center has always been a soft player...

you got what you should expect return wise...if not for the read option this run game would have been tragic

how bout dallas thomas play at guard...i got ****ing harder pillows in my house than that

it's all bs fellas...the other thing that hurt miami is getting behind the sticks with presnap penalties and lost yardage on first down...it just helps a team expose your protection even more...rush 4 drop 7 and still get home in a nanosecond is a recipe for disaster on long downs and distances...i mean they just exploit your weaknesses and wait for your qb to force something...which i'm glad tannehill rarely does...just cause things around him are going to **** i dont want my qb developing bad "i'm just gonna throw it up there despite coverage and no wrs that can play the ball above their head anyways" habits

the only thing that would have happened different had he just forced things like that is people would be doing end of year qb comparisons like qbr etc and bitching cause his rating was lower as a result of it...i know the way things work around here...it's rediculous

when they get things figured out "around" this qb we will be legit...til then i can have patience despite all the noise here

did a quick lookup of presnap penalties on 1st down:

vs. NE: none
at Buf: 2 for delay of game- doesn't that usually fall on QB? false start on James
KC: none
Oak: 2, false start Thomas. Illegal formation Matthews. both w/ Miami having huge leads
GB: none
at Chi: none
at Jax: 1, false start James. again w/ huge lead
SD: none
at Det:none
Buf: 1, FS Satele w/ Mia down 6-3.
at Den: none
at NYJ: none
Bal: 2, both on same drive. FS Satele w/ Mia up 10-7 and FS Sims
at NE: 1, FS Pouncey trailing 7-0
Min: none
NYJ: 2, FS Fox in 0-0 game. Wallace FS 14-10 Jets lead.

this doesn't seem like an extraordinary amount and only a few were at meaningful times of games.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

We are the polar opposite of the jests during their much heralded AFCC game losses. We failed despite good QB play while the jests succeeded despite bad QB play.

:lol:

Last year the OL ranked #30 in run blocking. We ranked #16 in pass blocking Remember that Pouncey, Cog, and Jerry all played well on the pass but not the run. Our OT's were much better this year until Albert went down. After that, we were about the same as 2013.

One thing to hopefully look forward to is a healthy Albert and Pouncey with James back where they belong. Add in a real starting OG with Turner, Smith, or Thomas the other, and I believe the OL will FINALLY be good.

It doesn't take 3rd party eval. To know our line sucked.

Our guard play clearly sucked all season......And once Albert went down we had no right tackle....all of that is clearly obvious to a 5th grader.

Of course the haters are going to insist they didn't see it and blame the skill players........cognitive dissonance?

Simply questioning how bad the OL could be is a clear indicator that a guy with your knowledge didn't watch many Dolphins games. Highlight reels and box scores severely limits ones ability to give concise evaluation.

where did I say your OL was good?

the baltimore game was the "biggest" game of the season...not the patriots road game where we had no chance going there with that lb core...i mean no chance..so let's set that straight from the get go...even though tanny balled out in the first half vs the pats which also seems to go forgotten around here

and against balt other than one missed ball where his back foot hit to wallace in the corner of the end zone he overthrew with pressure in his face as he completed his drop even from the right tackle and the left tackle also back at him the qb had no chance in the 4th quarter of that game...i'm just gonna set this **** straight...i got the tape of the game...in the 4th quarter after we kicked that fg and it was 14-13 the balt o went back to back 80 yard td drives 4 minutes each long on our d...

the qb had exactly 2 plays in that fourth quarter from that point on he could even get to his second progression before contact...one down big late he tried to hit a crosser to hartline despite drop zone a lb almost got to trying to make a play and another...that's it...the rest the kids back foot couldnt even hit...the right tackle play from d thomas vs dumervil was horrific...and the interior also let him down with hits from #90 all in his legs and that dt #97 even hitting him late and landing his body weight on him

so biggest game of season led O to 13 pts. You are satisfied w/ that? it's a step up from his play in the 2 big games to end 2013 but you would agree he needs to do more, right?

I remember that pass to Wallace in the Baltimore game. A lot of the discussion on here was about the overthrow, Wallace's effort and the pass rush on that play.

NFL Playbook had a totally different perspective on that play that I don't think anyone brought up. They showed Clay wide open in a direct passing lane that RT could have dumped it too rather than holding it and trying to make the pass to Wallace. Clay might have scored or at the least we would have had a 3rd and goal at the one with two chance to run it in.

I'm not really blaming RT here as Wallace was open for the TD. But NFL Playbook crew was blaming RT on that play for holding it to long and not taking the easy completion to Clay.

I'm also in the minority on here in thinking that Pouncey isn't as good as everyone thinks he is around here.

Pouncey flat out sucked. And I don't buy that its because of the injury or the position change. He's completely whiffing on blitzing LB's, cant shift down the line, doesnt get low enough on short yardage....just about everything you'd expect a a vet to be able to do. These are technique and mental errors unrelated to injury or position change.

I remember that pass to Wallace in the Baltimore game. A lot of the discussion on here was about the overthrow, Wallace's effort and the pass rush on that play.

NFL Playbook had a totally different perspective on that play that I don't think anyone brought up. They showed Clay wide open in a direct passing lane that RT could have dumped it too rather than holding it and trying to make the pass to Wallace. Clay might have scored or at the least we would have had a 3rd and goal at the one with two chance to run it in.

I'm not really blaming RT here as Wallace was open for the TD. But NFL Playbook crew was blaming RT on that play for holding it to long and not taking the easy completion to Clay.

how is holding it too long on a back foot can hit only and release possible??? not to mention progression wise on that play he's got wallace then landry working a man to man inside outside pick play so to speak and once he holds that inside safety with his eyes in his drop he's got wallace...the other open guy was the 2nd progression landry but you dont bypass progressions...and he never had time to get to the 2nd one to begin with

clay was on the opposite side of the formation and further down the progression

Who was the 1st read? If Wallace was open and he's the 1st read you think Tannehill should have ignored him and gone to the 2nd read? That makes no football sense.

so now i'm being told this team didnt have presnap penalties on the offense that effected things late in the season and helped set up the opposition to play coverages right into our weaknesses??? i mean really...or we didnt lose a lot of yardage on first down either trying to work pa into blitz pressures or lose yardage running wide...i know what i saw

the offense lost its' discipline late in the season...

and this offense with the protection issues we had couldnt overcome those long downs and distances cause the ball had to come out quick or he got killed...with few exceptions...the denver game plan wasnt lets dink and dunk it for any other reason than we were deathly afraid of those 2 edge rushers ruining us...and for good reason

The OL blows, this isn't news.

I think you can pretty much sum up how absurd the argument otherwise is by looking at the people who are advancing that argument.

If he'd thrown short to Clay, they would have called him out for not going deep to an open receiver (not to mention Wallace would have probably thrown a hissy fit). He throws deep to Wallace and gets called out for not checking down from an open receiver (which makes no sense when you think about it).

Wallace was open, period. It was the execution that was lacking, not the decision. A better throw and better effort to catch it might have made a TD.

Back
Top Bottom