Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014

I think it's a feather in the staff's cap that they were able to get one of the best rushing attacks (in terms of yards per carry) in the entire league behind James, Colledge, Satele, Pouncey at RG, & Thomas.

I do wish they had been more willing to commit to running out of different looks and even when the numbers in the box weren't favorable, though. I felt like we got pretty predictable down the stretch until the Vikings game, when they mixed in some under-center stuff.

The fact that when we had to run, we failed, I think speaks volumes about this line.

The fact that when we had to run, we failed, I think speaks volumes about this line.

Running in the NFL when everyone knows you're going to run is tough. Teams with great lines and great RBs can do it, but that's usually it. It's not that we couldn't run when we had to, it's that we usually couldn't run unless teams gave us very favorable looks.

I stand by my contention that we do not need a GREAT offensive line. We just need a decent one. That's why I'm appreciative of Southbeach for posting this. He didn't just post the PFF ratings (which I agree are of dubious value), but he posted the total pressure statistics. You go back and look at games like Denver, you will see that we had pass plays in which the QB was able to complete passes and receivers able to turn 'em into something, in which Dallas Thomas is just getting smoked off the snap. The only reason the ball is completed is that it's thrown as soon as the QB hits the top of his drop. That's troubling stuff.

I know we all bash on Dallas Thomas, but the fact is that Pouncey was not good at guard and Colledge was truly awful as well. They ought to burn the film from the first half of the Jacksonville game.

millers production was also heavily scheme driven...very rb friendly scheme as a ball carrier...difference with miller this year though is he did run thru some contact and fell forward and he showed a little bit of backside vision that he didnt last season

but dont fool yourself this scheme makes rbs look pretty good unless they suck as ball carriers...it's more demanding of them as receivers though

was success w/ struggling OL in pass game also scheme driven?

that scheme being rb friendly also is why i think if you are miami you don't consider your top pick with any rb...even if that may be the bpa...as long as they keep working this read option like they have you dont need a stud ball carrier value

although i would like to see them have the oline personnel to move away from it and not get my qb hit unnecessarily more than he already does playing the actual qb parts that have the shelf life

Running in the NFL when everyone knows you're going to run is tough. Teams with great lines and great RBs can do it, but that's usually it. It's not that we couldn't run when we had to, it's that we usually couldn't run unless teams gave us very favorable looks.

I stand by my contention that we do not need a GREAT offensive line. We just need a decent one. That's why I'm appreciative of Southbeach for posting this. He didn't just post the PFF ratings (which I agree are of dubious value), but he posted the total pressure statistics. You go back and look at games like Denver, you will see that we had pass plays in which the QB was able to complete passes and receivers able to turn 'em into something, in which Dallas Thomas is just getting smoked off the snap. The only reason the ball is completed is that it's thrown as soon as the QB hits the top of his drop. That's troubling stuff.

I know we all bash on Dallas Thomas, but the fact is that Pouncey was not good at guard and Colledge was truly awful as well. They ought to burn the film from the first half of the Jacksonville game.

That's true but I watched a number of games this season where teams were successful running the ball to protect a lead. Happened against us once or twice I believe. While my memory on the exact circumstances of each is a bit fuzzy, I don't recall those teams as having especially stud O-lines.

the baltimore game was the "biggest" game of the season...

...in the 4th quarter after we kicked that fg and it was 14-13 the balt o went back to back 80 yard td drives 4 minutes each long on our d...

This was the biggest sequence in our season. I agree the defense let down and allowed the 1st drive to let Ravens take a 21-13 lead. But at this point the offense has to do something. They didn't and the defense gave up knowing the offense wouldn't score again on the next drive. When they scored to take 21-13 lead it was 3 TD for Baltimore and 1 for Miami. We really needed to score a TD on that drive after the FG. The TD drive at the end by Baltimore was basically garbage time.

But just yesterday the troll told me the read option, much like the wildcat, was no more than a gimmick and the only reason Tanny played well. :err:

bogus...he can play and make plays in a 3 5 and 7 step drop system and work off pa out of them and in shotgun...provided he has time...he is a pocket progression qb who makes sound decisions with the football and very good presnap reads...it's why his games not flash in the pan or short shelf life or driven by his legs

This was the biggest sequence in our season. I agree the defense let down and allowed the 1st drive to let Ravens take a 21-13 lead. But at this point the offense has to do something. They didn't and the defense gave up knowing the offense wouldn't score again on the next drive. When they scored to take 21-13 lead it was 3 TD for Baltimore and 1 for Miami. We really needed to score a TD on that drive after the FG. The TD drive at the end by Baltimore was basically garbage time.

i dont disagree we needed to make plays...but you cant make plays if you cant even set your feet before contact...but i dont agree that 2nd td was garbage time...the game was still reachable although unlikely given the horrible protection til that 2nd td was ringed up...then it was curtains and lets kill the damn qb til time expires or he leaves on a stretcher

This really should not even be in discussion, whether Miami O-line is the worst, or among the worst, it's obvious this line after Albert went down, became atrocious.

There should also not even be any doubt Tannehill had a lot to do with the Offense still being somewhat successful in spite of the line, and some people just don't want to admit it, whether because they root for a rival and don't want to believe Miami might have found a franchise QB in the making or whether they just happen to root for another QB that needs talent around him to succeed and tends to choke in the playoffs.

Waiting for WV and junc to come running into this thread holding hands and pointing to Tanny as the cause of the terrible O-line play. :bobdole:
I'd like to hear WV tell us again how average corn-fed is all you need for an effective offensive line.

the baltimore game was the "biggest" game of the season...not the patriots road game where we had no chance going there with that lb core...i mean no chance..so let's set that straight from the get go...even though tanny balled out in the first half vs the pats which also seems to go forgotten around here

and against balt other than one missed ball where his back foot hit to wallace in the corner of the end zone he overthrew with pressure in his face as he completed his drop even from the right tackle and the left tackle also back at him the qb had no chance in the 4th quarter of that game...i'm just gonna set this **** straight...i got the tape of the game...in the 4th quarter after we kicked that fg and it was 14-13 the balt o went back to back 80 yard td drives 4 minutes each long on our d...

the qb had exactly 2 plays in that fourth quarter from that point on he could even get to his second progression before contact...one down big late he tried to hit a crosser to hartline despite drop zone a lb almost got to trying to make a play and another...that's it...the rest the kids back foot couldnt even hit...the right tackle play from d thomas vs dumervil was horrific...and the interior also let him down with hits from #90 all in his legs and that dt #97 even hitting him late and landing his body weight on him

so really like i said fellas this is all blatant bs

Regarding the Baltimore game, I will say what I said last Saturday Night: The Ravens defense made Ben Roethlisberger look just as bad as they made Ryan Tannehill look. The Anti-Tannehill crowd can make all of the excuses they want (BTW- Do You guys ever notice how they accuse Tannehill's supporters of making excuses for him, but the usual suspects always have the same excuses when you point out the flaws of their heroes, but I digress...), Yes Ngata was in the Pittsburgh game, but as hoops pointed out, the DT that played in his place completely owned the interior of our OL. Yes Big Ben didn't have Leveon Bell, but Tannehill didn't have Branden Albert. We can play this game until the end of time, but you can't have it both ways. I respect Big Ben, the guy has won two Super Bowls, but even he looks mortal when he doesn't have time to throw. I don't really care one way or the other about Matt Ryan or Mark Sanchez because I can make an argument that either one of those guys would not have been nearly as efficient behind the same O-Line that was protecting Tannehill by year's end.

millers production was also heavily scheme driven...very rb friendly scheme as a ball carrier...difference with miller this year though is he did run thru some contact and fell forward and he showed a little bit of backside vision that he didnt last season

but dont fool yourself this scheme makes rbs look pretty good unless they suck as ball carriers...it's more demanding of them as receivers though

Yeah, Miller did struggle some in receiving. He caught 38 of 48 for a good 7.6 average but, had 6 drops after only 1 in 2013. I think part of that was the shoulder, and expect him better this year. Did you notice any other problems he had in receiving?

Considering what Tannehill had to cope with all last season and this one, especially after Albert went down, it's amazing he's still standing, let alone that he managed to win half his games including beating 3 winning teams last season and 4 in 2013 (add another 2 in 2012)
This is why I've been calling our depth issues at offensive line critical and in need of immediate repair, if we want to protect our investment in Tannehill. To ignore it and refuse to put an appropriate amount of this off season's resources toward that goal would be criminal.

I'd like to hear WV tell us again how average corn-fed is all you need for an effective offensive line.

I can't believe I spend an entire year and half having to tell some that O-line was almost as important to the team as QB, and extremely important helping the QB be effective, while some here were wetting themselves over Matt Ryan, and how we did not take him.

Guess all of a sudden O-line has become pretty important, and not so easy to fix with average players.

Besides the OL opening up the gates for the defense, Wallace was the culprit here. Despite pressure and being forced to throw before being able to set up on a mere 3 step drop, Tannehill's pass was on point towards the far pylon. If you watch Wallace he undercuts his corner route to the near pylon, which is something that you would never do in a red zone situation. Just another example of his ineptitude in his lackadaisical route running which was followed by a bitch-like and anemic post game answer, "I'm not Inspector Gadget". Too bad he's not a real football player either.

Back
Top Bottom