Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014

This really should not even be in discussion, whether Miami O-line is the worst, or among the worst, it's obvious this line after Albert went down, became atrocious.

There should also not even be any doubt Tannehill had a lot to do with the Offense still being somewhat successful in spite of the line, and some people just don't want to admit it, whether because they root for a rival and don't want to believe Miami might have found a franchise QB in the making or whether they just happen to root for another QB that needs talent around him to succeed and tends to choke in the playoffs.

And even before Albert went down....the guards sucked....Colledge was a turnstile....Thomas was so bad in replacing him he got caused Alberts injury getting manhandled into Albert.

They did not do an adequate job filling the O-line holes in free agency or this team probably slides into the playoffs.

They were horrible at times but I find it hard to believe that a line standing in front of a 4000 yard passer and a 1000 yard rusher were the absolute worst.
if those players got to those milestones, then imagine what those players would've done with a top 15 ranked o-line? those players did well DESPITE the oline.

I'm not really blaming RT here as Wallace was open for the TD. But NFL Playbook crew was blaming RT on that play for holding it to long and not taking the easy completion to Clay.

The same guys complain that Tannehill dumps it off too quickly..... Welcome to ESPN level commentary.....

Need to fix this once and for all.

I'm not sure about the rating of being last.......but we sure as heck weren't very good, especially after the Albert injury.

Time to make the offensive line a non-issue and get some corn feds in here to pass protect and open some holes

I'd like to hear WV tell us again how average corn-fed is all you need for an effective offensive line.
if we had an average line and an average performance from that line in the last half of the season, we'd be in the playoffs. so yes, WV is right about having an average line.

Meanwhile, in a discussion about how PFF thinks we have the worst OL in the NFL (a sentiment that is borne out by some actual statistics), we have a clown brigade even more ridiculous than the one in Vaark's signature here to turn this into a bash of the QB.

Which actual statistics would they be? According to Football Outsiders we were 9th in the running game and 21st at pass protection. We had one of the best running games in the league this season so I don't see how it would be possible for our line to be ranked near the last in run blocking. And if you just look at just the raw stats for sacks we're ranked 23rd. Put that all together and we're middle of the pack. What objective data do you have that shows we should be ranked near last overall?

I will say that we were top 10 in pass protection before Albert went down so the fact that fell all the way to 21st means our line probably was around near the worst in the league after the Detroit game, or most of the second half of the season.

And to be fair to Football Outsiders they actually did have our line as one of the worst if not the worst overall last season.

PFF stats are dumb. It is known. But to the people running with this ranking think about this:
- we changed the entire o-line
- we changed the o-line coach
- we changed the offensive coordinator
- we changed the scheme
- we spent vast resources on offense and added talent

The only constant was the QB...

People are seriously still arguing Tanne was the reason for the OL performance? Clownshoes...

Which actual statistics would they be? According to Football Outsiders we were 9th in the running game and 21st at pass protection. We had one of the best running games in the league this season so I don't see how it would be possible for our line to be ranked near the last in run blocking. And if you just look at just the raw stats for sacks we're ranked 23rd. Put that all together and we're middle of the pack. What objective data do you have that shows we should be ranked near last overall?

I will say that we were top 10 in pass protection before Albert went down so the fact that fell all the way to 21st means our line probably was around near the worst in the league after the Detroit game, or most of the second half of the season.

And to be fair to Football Outsiders they actually did have our line as one of the worst if not the worst overall last season.

PFF stats are dumb. It is known. But to the people running with this ranking think about this:
- we changed the scheme

You're at a point where to rationalize your puppy love for a mediocre coach who cost us at least 2 games this season thru boneheaded timeouts, a league condemnable clubhouse incident and studs like Vontae Davis who didn't pick up random gum wrappers, you're embarrassing yourself by skewering a QB who beat 9 winning teams in 3 years, stood tall behind terrible OLs and still managed to win half his games the last 2 seasons. If Philbin wasn't forced to fire Sherman, we would have been a 5 win team despite Tannehill's noble efforts. Stop skapegoating the best and most promising QB we've had since Marino to absolve the sins of a **** up of a HC

Last edited by a moderator:
he's not THE cause but he is not blameless either and they ranked Miami 21 last year which I heard was the worst OL in the history of league. Not sure how we can trust all these rankings but either way the team at 30 won more games, the team at 29 won more games, 27 won more games, 24 made playoffs, 23 is 1 seed in AFC, 22 in div rd so apparently you are allowed to win even if the OL isn't great.

Did their defenses regress at the end of the year like Miami's did? Were they as injured as Miami was?

- we changed the scheme

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

The Outsiders are ranking the run game, and NOT the OL as evidenced by #9 which is crazy for anyone who ever watched anyone block. They also rank pass protect by sacks only, which is something casual fans do.

PFF ranks the OL's on watching every player on every play, grading him on beating the man he is blocking, and sacks, hits, and hurries. You will not find any coach, GM, or analyst who rates them on sacks alone.

No comparison at all.

- we changed the scheme

I don't know if there is a more confusing poster on here. I've seen you in threads bashing RT and then in others (or sometime even in the same thread) praising him like you're in the pro RT group. It's very bi-polar appearing. Are you by any chance related to Zounds?? Very similar traits. Just curious

This line blocked for a 1000 yard rusher, and a 4000 yard passer. That's with Miller, who rarely breaks tackles, and Tannehill, who isn't the best at avoiding rushers. While I agree they need to play better, I don't see them as the worst in the NFL.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

The Outsiders are ranking the run game, and NOT the OL as evidenced by #9 which is crazy for anyone who ever watched anyone block. They also rank pass protect by sacks only, which is something casual fans do.

PFF ranks the OL's on watching every player on every play, grading him on beating the man he is blocking, and sacks, hits, and hurries. You will not find any coach, GM, or analyst who rates them on sacks alone.

No comparison at all.

I don't think there is any way to accurately rank o-line play in a vacuum, the best you can do is rank overall pass protection, and the QB is a part of that pass protection, a huge part actually. Its no coincidence that Peyton Manning's o-lines are always ranked near the top year after year regardless of the players or coaches or even the team. Clearly Manning is the common denominator there. The same goes for Brady, his line is ranked top 10 year after year except for the year he got hurt in 2008, that's not coincidence. If a QB can elevate the ranking of his pass protection to the top of the league then the opposite would have to be true also.

Our line was ranked top 10 at both run blocking and pass pro before Albert went down. I think that was fair. With Tannehill at QB I think being ranked around 10th is great. That's not really as insulting as it seems as most second and third year QBs have o-lines ranked near the bottom of the league. Again, not a coincidence.

And WTF? You criticize them for ranking run blocking by looking at rushing stats? How is that any different than ranking pass protection by looking at the number of pressures and sacks?

PFF is dumb. Yes you have a guy looking at each and every snap, but unless I'm mistaken the problem is its not the same guy. Me and hooops can both grade QBs but our grading is likely going to be very different, so how does that tell you anything? If one guy is grading everything that's one thing, but even then you have to account for biases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom