Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014

I don't think there is any way to accurately rank o-line play in a vacuum, the best you can do is rank overall pass protection, and the QB is a part of that pass protection, a huge part actually. Its no coincidence that Peyton Manning's o-lines are always ranked near the top year after year regardless of the players or coaches or even the team. Clearly Manning is the common denominator there. The same goes for Brady, his line is ranked top 10 year after year except for the year he got hurt in 2008, that's not coincidence. If a QB can elevate the ranking of his pass protection to the top of the league then the opposite would have to be true also.

Our line was ranked top 10 at both run blocking and pass pro before Albert went down. I think that was fair. With Tannehill at QB I think being ranked around 10th is great. That's not really as insulting as it seems as most second and third year QBs have o-lines ranked near the bottom of the league. Again, not a coincidence.

And WTF? You criticize them for ranking run blocking by looking at rushing stats? How is that any different than ranking pass protection by looking at the number of pressures and sacks?

PFF is dumb. Yes you have a guy looking at each and every snap, but unless I'm mistaken the problem is its not the same guy. Me and hooops can both grade QBs but our grading is likely going to be very different, so how does that tell you anything? If one guy is grading everything that's one thing, but even then you have to account for biases.

Pats OL was #28 in pass block this year. PFF grades and ranks the guys on the OL only. They do not include how good or bad the RB or QB is and grade them separately.

It's a relatively easy process which many here can do if they had the over 10 hours per game to do so. It's basically if you beat the guy you're blocking or if he beats you and how badly. Simple but, a telling tale. I do not know of any coach or team's grading system for a player would be any different. You and Outsiders are looking at a team's combined success at running and passing, which is fine but different. PFF is just looking at the individual performance.

You and hoops may disagree but, can't see much of one in saying if a player had a good or bad play.

This is what many do not seem to understand.

I don't think there is any way to accurately rank o-line play in a vacuum, the best you can do is rank overall pass protection, and the QB is a part of that pass protection, a huge part actually. Its no coincidence that Peyton Manning's o-lines are always ranked near the top year after year regardless of the players or coaches or even the team. Clearly Manning is the common denominator there. The same goes for Brady, his line is ranked top 10 year after year except for the year he got hurt in 2008, that's not coincidence. If a QB can elevate the ranking of his pass protection to the top of the league then the opposite would have to be true also.

Our line was ranked top 10 at both run blocking and pass pro before Albert went down. I think that was fair. With Tannehill at QB I think being ranked around 10th is great. That's not really as insulting as it seems as most second and third year QBs have o-lines ranked near the bottom of the league. Again, not a coincidence.

And WTF? You criticize them for ranking run blocking by looking at rushing stats? How is that any different than ranking pass protection by looking at the number of pressures and sacks?

PFF is dumb. Yes you have a guy looking at each and every snap, but unless I'm mistaken the problem is its not the same guy. Me and hooops can both grade QBs but our grading is likely going to be very different, so how does that tell you anything? If one guy is grading everything that's one thing, but even then you have to account for biases.

if by biases you mean i'm not gonna crap on the qb for things that i shouldn't but grade him down when i should then yeah i think that's right...any time you want to grade a qbs play and break it down up against mine i'm in...if its miami related

that goes for anyone on this board...we can compare notes...

Pff stats are very misleading sometimes but I do agree our line was bad. Not as bad as 2013 but pretty close

Last year Tannehill was sacked 46 times, 3rd most of any QB. However, he dropped back 645 times. There is much more to pass blocking than the 48 plays when there was a sack. What about the other 597 ties he dropped back?

Last year Tannehill was sacked 46 times, 3rd most of any QB. However, he dropped back 645 times. There is much more to pass blocking than the 48 plays when there was a sack. What about the other 597 ties he dropped back?

Hurrjes and pressures....drops....short passes to mitigate the poor blocking....and of course....he completed 67% of them.

Hurrjes and pressures....drops....short passes to mitigate the poor blocking....and of course....he completed 67% of them.

RT had 29 drops, #13, but it cost him 299 yards (#5) and at least a few TD's.

Not moving Pouncey back at Center,not playing Turner and not signing Winston for Insurance our my PROBLEMS!!...Blame whom ever you want but these are no Brainers to do especially if Thomas and Coledge we're turn styles.

The Oline played like **** and we can Atleast thank Lazor for how well the offense did considering the disfunctional players we have on this team.

RT had 29 drops, #13, but it cost him 299 yards (#5) and at least a few TD's.

Drops are part of the game. If you are going to try to add them in then you have to count the dropped interceptions.
I subscribe to the pure stats angle.
Either you make the play or you don't. No excuses.
Brady and Manning and even Dan Marino make a very strong case that QB can make the line look much better than they are.

if we had an average line and an average performance from that line in the last half of the season, we'd be in the playoffs. so yes, WV is right about having an average line.
Disagree.

Yes, the depth can be average players. But, the starters need to be better than average, assuming you want to protect your investment in the only QB we've had since Marino who MIGHT become a franchise QB, if he isn't injured first. That, and also have a running game worthy of the appellation, and not stuck in the read option for every possible attempt.

It is critical that we make our lines on both sides of the ball just as important to our success as our QB has been. If we never do that, then we will be stuck right where we've been since Marino. NOWHERE.

Disagree.

Yes, the depth can be average players. But, the starters need to be better than average, assuming you want to protect your investment in the only QB we've had since Marino who MIGHT become a franchise QB, if he isn't injured first. That, and also have a running game worthy of the appellation, and not stuck in the read option for every possible attempt.

It is critical that we make our lines on both sides of the ball just as important to our success as our QB has been. If we never do that, then we will be stuck right where we've been since Marino. NOWHERE.

One constant I have seen from coaches and analyst in the playoffs if that these games are won or lost in the trenches. A friend described our OL and DL in the second half last year as "Stenches in the Trenches."

This needs to be fixed for us to go anywhere.

No surprise. Look at the playoff teams. No Dallas Thomases or Colledges or Columbos or Martins or Sateles. We continue to sign and draft bottom barrel linemen and it shows. The Ravens game was one of the worst offensive line performances I've ever seen in an NFL game.

The one excuse you can give to Pouncey (and I wouldn't) is that he missed all of camp and the first month of the season. Not a good excuse, but if you want to keep him you are going off of that.

As the year went on, Satele struggled more and more as well, and we saw what Colledge became as the year went on.

I think it's fair to say a healthy Albert (big if), healthy Pouncey, James, and hopefully a ready Turner makes the OL average, but we can't bank on that or we'll get a similar situation to Jon Martin being able to play LT

Back
Top Bottom