Dolphins poised to compete THIS year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins poised to compete THIS year?

In Saban's defense I trust. He gave them a pretty strong makeover during the offseason, all told. He pulled in Kevin Carter, Tebuckey Jones, Travares Tillman, Mario Edwards, Vonnie Holliday, Donnie Spragan, Matt Roth, Channing Crowder, Travis Daniels, and Kevin Vickerson. He got rid of Sammy Knight, Arturo Freeman, Patrick Surtain, Morlon Greenwood, Bryan Robinson, and Jay Williams.

I have a feeling that we're going to see a lot of rotation in this defense, a lot of creativity. Our D under Bates had pretty defined roles. Starters were starters. If we went to nickel packages this CB would come in and play here, this LB would come out, and same with dime. Ever notice how sometimes Belichick will toss in 6 linebackers and no down linemen? Could you imagine Bates ever even considering that? No, because all of our backup linebackers were the same type of linebacker as the starting linebackers except significantly worst, mostly just special teams guys.

Matt Roth as a DE/LB, JT as a DE/LB, Zach, Seau, and Crowder in the middle, Spragan playing OLB too, Kevin Carter, Vonnie Holliday, David Bowens, Tim Bowens, Larry Chester, and Jeff Zgonina all worthy of getting themselves onto the field. When was the last time that, from top to bottom, we had this many front 7 players actually worthy of putting out onto the field? Heck, Derrick Pope showed more than enough to be worthy of getting out there too, and maybe we'll get lucky and Eddie Moore will show he's not just a benchwarmer who gets beat up in bar fights.

With the way this D is shaping up, if the OL comes around I think we'll be in contention very quickly.

I don't trust AJ Feeley. He hasn't shown anything worthy of that trust. The improvement was from a god-awful quarterback to a bad one. He's got miles to go before he shows himself worthy.

But yes, Brown will help him significantly.

you all forget that we won 10 games two seasons ago, with f--ckin Dave Wannstedt at the helm. If Wanny can go 10-6 with an offense based on one player and a solid defense, Saban can easily win 9 or 10 games with a multi-dimensional offensive attack and a solid defense.

texasPHINSfan said:
i don't think so. we'll improve, but not like the chargers did a year ago.

we have too many question marks over our QB and our OL. we can't assume that with the same personnel, only new coaches that we will experience a complete role-reversal at QB and OL...

The exact same question marks San Diego had last year except we have a good defence while there's is brutal. And we have the coach that fixed their line last year!

We'll end up somewhere in the top 10 of the draft again. There's just no way we can compete a the highest of levels with a new coaching staff, a raw QB, a weak OL, no serious 3rd receiver, lack of depth at DT (Bowens is done), and our now weakened secondary.

I'd love to think we'll be great, but we will be better. That's what rebuilding is all about. We are in this for the long haul. It's imperative to put the building blocks in place now for the next 5 years.

JAREDMANN said:
The exact same question marks San Diego had last year except we have a good defence while there's is brutal. And we have the coach that fixed their line last year!

R. Brown = phin's version of L.T.?

If Feeley can play with poise and the offensive line plays decent, sure why not. I could see a 9 or 10 win season. The coaching is there, it's not like we were totally blown out in every game last year. The defense is still there, so any kind of improvement from the offense will make things interesting.

ckparrothead said:
I don't trust AJ Feeley. He hasn't shown anything worthy of that trust. The improvement was from a god-awful quarterback to a bad one. He's got miles to go before he shows himself worthy.

But yes, Brown will help him significantly.

Was last year fair enough to justify that? No. If it was then Saban would have gave him the boot.

Give me a QB and put them into that situation last year and see how they would have done. Awful, just like Feeley..

Right now I don't have an opinion of Feeley other than he wont be terrible.

Why? Because of this offseason, his situation with the coach last year, with ricky, with the line, with Fiedler.

I was not given the opportunity to succed but he still improved at the end of last year. Thats hard to do....

to hope this team loses 13 games, to get a high draft pick is shameful, and if you ever played sports you should understand that. there other ways to get a top pick if you want it, it's called trade some picks. it's funny that we gave two 1st and a 2nd for a rb. but were content with bringing in career back up qb's . this draft was no different than our last few a-- backwards ,we keep trying to build an offense around turds. and continue to stockpile the d hiding this fact. we keep saying we need to have a great rb and that will make our qb better or we need wr's and it's sure to make the qb better. how about lets get serious about trying to get a solid qb and then build a balanced team around him. not like when we had marino, and just focused on a high poward off same with the colts today, but model the teams who had great qb's like montana, elway, aikeman,farve, bradshaw,young,bob greise, they had balance

You don't give the keys to the offense to a guy just because he produced predictably bad. I stick by my statement, he has not shown anything POSITIVE that would have me saying ok this guy can be our QB.

You can put some good QBs in the situation we put Feeley in and they wouldn't look as good. Would they look as bad? We don't know, that is speculation, but you could also put some pretty BAD QBs in AJ's situation last year and they would also look bad, bad because they are bad QBs. Like I said, you don't just hand the keys to a guy just because he performed predictably bad.

jguig said:
We'll end up somewhere in the top 10 of the draft again. There's just no way we can compete a the highest of levels with a new coaching staff, a raw QB, a weak OL, no serious 3rd receiver, lack of depth at DT (Bowens is done), and our now weakened secondary.

I'd love to think we'll be great, but we will be better. That's what rebuilding is all about. We are in this for the long haul. It's imperative to put the building blocks in place now for the next 5 years.

No way we will be in the Top Ten of the Draft next year.

Saban doesn't know how to not succed.

The O-Line has been upgraded and looks bright.

Thompson is fine as a WR.. Also we have another 3rd WR. His name is Ronnie Brown.

Saban will take control of the Secondary along with Phillips... 2 of the best around.

Our corners look fine with Madison and Poole who has huge upside and shows tons of promise.

Safety- veteran leadership. Look for Bell to compete for FS. Bell also is one who shows plenty of upside, only needs a shot to play.

We have depth at D-line. Carter can play both DT and DE. Also Roth.

Aj is not longer a 'raw qb'.

He took his bumps last year

We arent rebuilding, we are retooling.

ckparrothead said:
You don't give the keys to the offense to a guy just because he produced predictably bad. I stick by my statement, he has not shown anything POSITIVE that would have me saying ok this guy can be our QB.

You can put some good QBs in the situation we put Feeley in and they wouldn't look as good. Would they look as bad? We don't know, that is speculation, but you could also put some pretty BAD QBs in AJ's situation last year and they would also look bad, bad because they are bad QBs. Like I said, you don't just hand the keys to a guy just because he performed predictably bad.

Your right you dont give them to him. You make him earn it, he was tough, showed he does have a strong arm and can make the passes that an NFL QB needs to make. Why the INTs... bad choices and a bad system with a coach and a bad cordinator. Also he was rushed into throwing many of those INTs due to a lack of line.

You still cant argue with that he wasnt given the opportunity to succed.

This is like saying that when you pick up a 2nd round QB, you dump him when he was given nothing at all to do anything productive in his first year as a starter.

All I am saying is that he deserves a chance.

We will be better than last year, not as good as next year, and will probably be looking to sign a solid, Veteran QB either before the season starts or next year in FA....My guess 7 wins (we have a brutal, brutal schedule this year), but a very bright future....

Back
Top Bottom