Dolphins request permission to interview Brian Dabol!!! | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins request permission to interview Brian Dabol!!!

I get the fear of another coordinator coming in with no HC experience. But every successful HC started as a coordinator at one point. Question is, would you rather have a hungry coordinator determined to prove himself and succeed, or a HC with experience who is currently unemployed. I mean, they're unemployed for a reason 🤷‍♂️......with the exception of Harbaugh, and he hasn't coached in the pros for some time now.
I want Pederson or Harbaugh over any coordinator at this time and I really don’t care that they were both fired as head coaches in the past.

Both of them were fired because of issues with their bosses and not because they weren’t good football coaches. Obviously after what just happened between Grier and Flores, there is no assurance either one or both of these coaches wouldn’t have the same issues with Grier.

I just prefer hiring experience over a coordinator who has never been a HC before. The Dolphins have been going down that road since Ross became the owner and it just hasn’t worked. Let’s try something different with this hire is my opinion.

I want Pederson or Harbaugh over any coordinator at this time and I really don’t care that they were both fired as head coaches in the past.

Both of them were fired because of issues with their bosses and not because they weren’t good football coaches. Obviously after what just happened between Grier and Flores, there is no assurance either one or both of these coaches wouldn’t have the same issues with Grier.

I just prefer hiring experience over a coordinator who has never been a HC before. The Dolphins have been going down that road since Ross became the owner and it just hasn’t worked. Let’s try something different with this hire is my opinion.
I get that. I really don't care who they hire as long as they succeed. All I'm saying is there is no recipe for success in this area, or crystal ball. As you pointed out though, since Ross, we suck at hiring HC's, so anyone they are interested in should be scrutinized to the fullest. Hopefully we can finally get it right 🤞

I understand everyone saying they want someone with previous HC experience and I don’t disagree. I’ve got a strong preference for Jim Harbaugh, although I’ve seen reports that indicate we shouldn’t be holding our breath. I also wouldn’t be upset with Doug Pederson. I think he got sewered with the Eagles and like the fact they incorpoated a lot of RPO concepts into their offense during his tenure.

But Brian Daboll is one of my top choices, despite his lack of previous HC experience. Here are some reasons why I think he should be under strong consideration.
  • He’s worked under some very, very good HCs, including Sean McDermott in Buffalo, Nick Saban in Alabama, and Bill Belichick in New England. Those connections should help him poach competent staff. And hopefully learning under those HCs has shown him how to develop a program.
  • He served as Tua’s OC and QB Coach in Alabama. Reportedly, Daboll was the one who was keen on developing Tua at Alabama. He pushed for him to be the starting QB as a freshman over Jalen Hurts. He has spoken glowingly about Tua’s skillset and ability, and knows how to run an RPO system that plays to Tua’s strengths.
  • Daboll knows how to develop young QBs. He’s demonstrated that in Buffalo with Josh Allen.
  • Hiring Daboll weakens the Bills. He also seems perfectly situated to know how to build a squad in Miami that can attack the Bills weaknesses.

I get the fear of another coordinator coming in with no HC experience. But every successful HC started as a coordinator at one point. Question is, would you rather have a hungry coordinator determined to prove himself and succeed, or a HC with experience who is currently unemployed. I mean, they're unemployed for a reason 🤷‍♂️......with the exception of Harbaugh, and he hasn't coached in the pros for some time now.
The next inexperienced coordinator we hire will be unemployed for a reason in 2-3 years, too.

I understand everyone saying they want someone with previous HC experience and I don’t disagree. I’ve got a strong preference for Jim Harbaugh, although I’ve seen reports that indicate we shouldn’t be holding our breath. I also wouldn’t be upset with Doug Pederson. I think he got sewered with the Eagles and like the fact they incorpoated a lot of RPO concepts into their offense during his tenure.

But Brian Daboll is one of my top choices, despite his lack of previous HC experience. Here are some reasons why I think he should be under strong consideration.
  • He’s worked under some very, very good HCs, including Sean McDermott in Buffalo, Nick Saban in Alabama, and Bill Belichick in New England. Those connections should help him poach competent staff. And hopefully learning under those HCs has shown him how to develop a program.
  • He served as Tua’s OC and QB Coach in Alabama. Reportedly, Daboll was the one who was keen on developing Tua at Alabama. He pushed for him to be the starting QB as a freshman over Jalen Hurts. He has spoken glowingly about Tua’s skillset and ability, and knows how to run an RPO system that plays to Tua’s strengths.
  • Daboll knows how to develop young QBs. He’s demonstrated that in Buffalo with Josh Allen.
  • Hiring Daboll weakens the Bills. He also seems perfectly situated to know how to build a squad in Miami that can attack the Bills weaknesses.
I'll repost this, since it got lost on the last page:

Resident Bills fan here. I came on to correct some of the Brian Daboll narrative I'm seeing.

Daboll coached in the nfl for many, many years prior to coming on with the bills. You can look it up - all of his offenses prior to Buffalo were in the bottom of the league. When the Bills hired him, fans were pissed because he never had any kind of success anywhere. At Alabama, he started Jalen Hurts (over Tua, more on that later) who couldn't seem to complete a pass that year. They were a running offense, even at QB, and could not throw the ball. Nick Saban finally overrules Daboll at half time of the national championship game and puts Tua in for Hurts. Tua lights it up and they come back and win. Questions loomed as to how Daboll could have seen and coached both qb's in practice all year long and decided not to play Tua. They placed the blame on Hurts, and said he wasn't good enough, because he couldnt throw the ball. Then Hurts transfers out of Bama and finishes 2nd in the heisman, throwing the ball all over the lot, something he couldnt dream of doing under Daboll. It seems Daboll was the one holding that offense back the whole time, not Hurts. An odd year for Daboll at Bama, to say the least.

Daboll then comes to Buffalo. We know the progress Allen made, but Bills fans, and people in the know, understand that Jordan Palmer and Josh Allen are responsible for the progress, and not anyone else (McDermott, Dorsey, Daboll). The difference in Allen's mechanics was night and day, which is something Palmer corrected, not Daboll. Add in the fact that Daboll never had success with a QB in his 20+ years prior, and we can see Daboll probably didnt have some magic turnaround all of a sudden.

Daboll has been criticized all year long by Bills fans (and McDermott) for his play calls and offensive philosophy. He refused to run the ball, at all costs, even when defenses dropped 9 back. It cost us games. McDermott had to step in and correct that personally, but its still been an issue until recently.

If Daboll takes a job, I dont think Bills fans will be sad to see him go. One of my pet peeves in NFL circles is when teams hire the coordinator of the offense who has an MVP type QB, as if they are responsible for the offense's success instead of the QB. Adam gase comes to mind. The chiefs OC is another one. Daboll gave 100% of his effort to Buffalo, so we wish him well wherever he goes, but I think if there's a team out there hiring him because they think he's some sort of "offensive guru," they are sadly mistaken.

While I understand your reasoning for wanting to hire Daboll. I have to wonder if he is responsible for the develop,of Allen or has Ken Dorsey been more responsible for Allen’s development.

Cam Newton had his best years in the league when Dorsey was his QB coach and Dorsey is Allen’s QB coach in Buffalo. So if it is all about developing young QB‘s Dorsey might be better than Daboll in that aspect of the game.

Of course I don’t think Dorsey is probably ready to be a head coach in the NFL but I would love to see him become the next OC at the University of Miami.

I'll repost this, since it got lost on the last page:

Resident Bills fan here. I came on to correct some of the Brian Daboll narrative I'm seeing.

Daboll coached in the nfl for many, many years prior to coming on with the bills. You can look it up - all of his offenses prior to Buffalo were in the bottom of the league. When the Bills hired him, fans were pissed because he never had any kind of success anywhere. At Alabama, he started Jalen Hurts (over Tua, more on that later) who couldn't seem to complete a pass that year. They were a running offense, even at QB, and could not throw the ball. Nick Saban finally overrules Daboll at half time of the national championship game and puts Tua in for Hurts. Tua lights it up and they come back and win. Questions loomed as to how Daboll could have seen and coached both qb's in practice all year long and decided not to play Tua. They placed the blame on Hurts, and said he wasn't good enough, because he couldnt throw the ball. Then Hurts transfers out of Bama and finishes 2nd in the heisman, throwing the ball all over the lot, something he couldnt dream of doing under Daboll. It seems Daboll was the one holding that offense back the whole time, not Hurts. An odd year for Daboll at Bama, to say the least.

Daboll then comes to Buffalo. We know the progress Allen made, but Bills fans, and people in the know, understand that Jordan Palmer and Josh Allen are responsible for the progress, and not anyone else (McDermott, Dorsey, Daboll). The difference in Allen's mechanics was night and day, which is something Palmer corrected, not Daboll. Add in the fact that Daboll never had success with a QB in his 20+ years prior, and we can see Daboll probably didnt have some magic turnaround all of a sudden.

Daboll has been criticized all year long by Bills fans (and McDermott) for his play calls and offensive philosophy. He refused to run the ball, at all costs, even when defenses dropped 9 back. It cost us games. McDermott had to step in and correct that personally, but its still been an issue until recently.

If Daboll takes a job, I dont think Bills fans will be sad to see him go. One of my pet peeves in NFL circles is when teams hire the coordinator of the offense who has an MVP type QB, as if they are responsible for the offense's success instead of the QB. Adam gase comes to mind. The chiefs OC is another one. Daboll gave 100% of his effort to Buffalo, so we wish him well wherever he goes, but I think if there's a team out there hiring him because they think he's some sort of "offensive guru," they are sadly mistaken.
Funny. I've heard, quite literally, the exact opposite.

While I understand your reasoning for wanting to hire Daboll. I have to wonder if he is responsible for the develop,of Allen or has Ken Dorsey been more responsible for Allen’s development.

Cam Newton had his best years in the league when Dorsey was his QB coach and Dorsey is Allen’s QB coach in Buffalo. So if it is all about developing young QB‘s Dorsey might be better than Daboll in that aspect of the game.

Of course I don’t think Dorsey is probably ready to be a head coach in the NFL but I would love to see him become the next OC at the University of Miami.
How about we split the difference? Daboll becomes HC and he brings along Dorsey as OC and we keep Charlie Frye as QB Coach.

Let's do it! So when building around Tua crashes and burns. There won't be anymore excuses. Maybe suck long enough and so badly that Ross sells the team.

Let's do it! So when building around Tua crashes and burns. There won't be anymore excuses. Maybe suck long enough and so badly that Ross sells the team.
Another high-effort, non-troll post from Delvin! Exactly what we've come to expect from our resident guru. Tell us more about Brissett's excellent pocket presence,

Last edited by a moderator:
Another high-effort, non-troll post from Delvin! Exactly what we've come to expect from our resident guru. Tell us more about Brissett's excellent pocket presence,
I'll tell you about Tua. He's bad and no coach will save him. Remember Charlie Frye was supposed to do that? 2nd year in the league. Healthy hip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom