Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm

Nothing wrong with being a fan of any team. It had nothing to do with Oregon, just that sentiment/emotions usually creep in when looking at one's favorite team. For that matter, the same applies to rivals.
I already said I am biased, however, I have almost assuredly watched him more than anyone else on this forum, i.e. every snap he's had as a starter and backup. He does not have snapping issues and I have no idea how anyone could come to that conclusion. I also have no idea why anyone would come to the conclusion that he would not fit in Miami's scheme either as he moves very well for a lineman. Both are very poor takes for the Rimington winner and unanimous All-American. It is fair to say that you don't want to draft an IOL in the first round, I disagree with that take as it is arguably the team's most glaring need at the moment, but I can understand that perspective at least.

Nothing wrong with being a fan of any team. It had nothing to do with Oregon, just that sentiment/emotions usually creep in when looking at one's favorite team. For that matter, the same applies to rivals.
You seemed to diss WaddleDon'tRun's assessment of JPJ because he is an alum and fan of Oregon. That IMO is wholly unfair. I'm an Oregon fan too, but not an alum FWIW. I like Holland a lot, for example, but will criticize him for his penchant for shoulder tackles too often rather than wrap up. To imply we cannot be objective when looking at players on our favorite teams may apply to you and your favorite team, but that does not make it the same for everyone else.

You seemed to diss WaddleDon'tRun's assessment of JPJ because he is an alum and fan of Oregon. That IMO is wholly unfair. I'm an Oregon fan too, but not an alum FWIW. I like Holland a lot, for example, but will criticize him for his penchant for shoulder tackles too often rather than wrap up. To imply we cannot be objective when looking at players on our favorite teams may apply to you and your favorite team, but that does not make it the same for everyone else.
And you are conflating good natured banter with "dissing", IMO.

You are still making it about the Ducks", when I already explained the point has nothing to do with a specific team.

What, are you guys related or something? I'm sure he's more than capable of defending his posts if he desires.

You are still making it about the Ducks", when I already explained the point has nothing to do with a specific team.

What, are you guys related or something? I'm sure he's more than capable of defending his posts if he desires.
Hahaha, no clue who he is but cool to see a fellow Ducks and fins fan! Oh, and I already defended my stance, multiple times. I also understand your point and admit some bias while also whole-heartedly disagreeing that he has snap issues or that he wouldn't fit McDaniel's scheme. In both of those stances, I do feel that I am being objective in my analysis. For instance, I loved the Holland pick due to value but was concerned that he would struggle immediately due to sitting out the covid season. Additionally, I hated trading up for Dion Jordan as he was always viewed as athletic but with a lot of limitations. As previously mentioned, I really really wanted them to take Sewell since he was, in my view, the safest pick in the draft and we have struggled with the OL since Ricky Williams tenure. I won't touch much on the QB we drafted since that is such a sensitive topic on this forum, but I like(d) both Tua and Herbert, albeit for very different reasons.

Please let us know your favorite college team so we can diss you (good-naturedly of course) any time you speak positively about one of its players.
In this case it was about JPJ and the alleged shotgun snap issues, hence about the Ducks. I think we both claimed this narrative is false and your retort to him was he's a fan and an alum so not objective.

I think Lamm is insurance in case of injury. If Jackson, Armstead and Smith make it through training camp and preseason with no injuries, I could see Lamm going on the PS in 2024 or released and told we'll call you if we need you in the regular season.

Hahaha, no clue who he is but cool to see a fellow Ducks and fins fan! Oh, and I already defended my stance, multiple times. I also understand your point and admit some bias while also whole-heartedly disagreeing that he has snap issues or that he wouldn't fit McDaniel's scheme. In both of those stances, I do feel that I am being objective in my analysis. For instance, I loved the Holland pick due to value but was concerned that he would struggle immediately due to sitting out the covid season. Additionally, I hated trading up for Dion Jordan as he was always viewed as athletic but with a lot of limitations. As previously mentioned, I really really wanted them to take Sewell since he was, in my view, the safest pick in the draft and we have struggled with the OL since Ricky Williams tenure. I won't touch much on the QB we drafted since that is such a sensitive topic on this forum, but I like(d) both Tua and Herbert, albeit for very different reasons.
I agree about Jordan, first of all. I thought the Philbin clown show was handling him wrong regardless of the drug issues that later surfaced. His natural height/weight and athleticism made him an ideal 3-4 OLB. So those idiots were making him add weight to play a down DE role on a 4 man line.
Before that 2021 draft, I wanted Sewell badly too, over Waddle or anyone else available at 6, except Rashawn Slater, who due to his college RT experience I thought would have more seamlessly stepped in to cover Tua's blindside. About a week before that draft on another forum when everyone was posting their guesses for picks 6 and 18, I said Slater and Holland. lol. So when we got Holland at 36, I was stoked.
A lot of folks before 2020 draft seemed to be dissing Herbert as part of elevating Tua's status. Questioning his deep ball accuracy seemed to be the most frequent nonsense I saw. I did not believe the Dolphins fanbase, which was IMO about 75% -25% more for Tua over Herbert, would give Herbert a fair chance before complaining nonstop about him. Heck, some Dolfans still seem to delight over any bad game Herbert may have with LAC, and also downplay any good games for any reason they can invent. So while I'd have been fine had we taken Herbert, I was quietly hoping Tua would be the pick. Because Herbert would get a more fair chance with the Chargers from the fan base, IMO.

I think Lamm is insurance in case of injury. If Jackson, Armstead and Smith make it through training camp and preseason with no injuries, I could see Lamm going on the PS in 2024 or released and told we'll call you if we need you in the regular season.
With 9 OLs generally kept on the 53-man roster, they may only keep one OT backup and it could come down to Lamm vs Smith. Though last season we did carry both all season long. It was generally two OT backups and two IOL backups on the 53 along with the 5 starters. but as unreliable as Armstead is, health-wise, they may decide again to just make Lamm his designated backup, and the other OT backup would more or less cover for Jackson. It could be also either Lamm or Smith, with the versatile Driscoll being kept as an OG/RT backup. And the other IOL backup is an OG/OC type.

Agree about the snap issues. Disagree about the scheme fit as I've seen more than one respected analyst say he doesn't have the lateral quickness/speed to play in a wide zone scheme at the NFL level.

As to the rest, all water under the bridge.

Agree about the snap issues. Disagree about the scheme fit as I've seen more than one respected analyst say he doesn't have the lateral quickness/speed to play in a wide zone scheme at the NFL level.

As to the rest, all water under the bridge.
Fair enough, I still disagree and trust what I watched on some outside runs at Oregon over the analysts but that is reasonable enough. Good discussion with you.

Fair enough, I still disagree and trust what I watched on some outside runs at Oregon over the analysts but that is reasonable enough. Good discussion with you.
I'll just say that the NFL is notoriously faster than college. It takes time for almost all rookies to adjust in the best circumstances.

There's a bunch of similarly rated DL in this years draft, and the 2nd-3rd round guys are probably just as good of prospects as the 1st rounders.
Given what we've just gone through with CW and the inflated price of DTs compared to their value... investing a #1 on a DT... and then having to dramatically overpay when he comes up on a second contract... I'm not going to do it. I'm going to instead take an Orhorhoru or a Jenkins.... maybe a Fiske, Hall, or a Dorlus.

You can't say with a straight face that a second or third round DT is as talented or "probably just as good" as the first rounders.
Newton and Murphy clearly have attributes, namely pass rush ability, that Jenkins, Sweat, Hall, and Orhorhoru don't have, or at least not at the level Murphy and Newton do.

You're really worried about paying a first round DT his second contract? That would be a nice problem to have, imo.
Are you not worried that we'd have to pay a first round guard, on his second contract, the ridiculous money Rob Hunt got from Carolina?

Take the best player available at a position of need with 21. The board very much looks like that guy could be a DT or Edge player.

Just an observation.

It's great that we can have differing opinions and express them without descending into insults, childish name calling, etc.

Good thread for the most part, brothers.

I wouldn't go that direction, at least in rd1. I question if he has the lateral quickness to fit a zone scheme, particularly on wider run plays.

He chose not to run the the 40, 3 cone or shuttle so what do we really know about his relative athleticism.

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Quinn Meinerz
Overview
Broadly built center prospect with below-average length but above-average upper-body power. Powers-Johnson isn’t much of a knee-bender, which impacts his pad level and drive leverage, but he can torque and toss opponents around with some regularity at the point. Powers-Johnson is a fierce competitor with a salty disposition but needs to improve his first-phase technique to create more consistent block sustains. Despite average athleticism, he doesn’t seem to have many issues in pass protection, as he works with clear eyes, a wide base and good discipline to keep his weight back. His rookie season could be bumpy if he has to play early, but he should come out on the other side as a long-time starter.

Strengths
Carries broad chest, thick hips and meaty hands.
Heavy hands hammer A-gap threats when protecting the quarterback.
Processes gaming fronts without overreacting or lunging.
Plays with a rugged, disdainful attitude toward opponents.
Jolts defenders around with powerful upper body.
Plays with adequate footwork for double-teams and work-up blocks.

Weaknesses
Relatively limited experience as a full-time starter.
Would like to see better pad level and explosion into first contact.
Below-average body control to consistently square up moving targets.
Lacks lateral quickness to reach play-side defenders at a high rate.
Limited reactive quickness if he’s isolated against an athletic rusher.

Sounds to me like solid, to good.

You can't say with a straight face that a second or third round DT is as talented or "probably just as good" as the first rounders.
Newton and Murphy clearly have attributes, namely pass rush ability, that Jenkins, Sweat, Hall, and Orhorhoru don't have, or at least not at the level Murphy and Newton do.

You're really worried about paying a first round DT his second contract? That would be a nice problem to have, imo.
Are you not worried that we'd have to pay a first round guard, on his second contract, the ridiculous money Rob Hunt got from Carolina?

Take the best player available at a position of need with 21. The board very much looks like that guy could be a DT or Edge player.
Yes... I can.

I don't believe that the so-called 1st rounders are any better.

Back
Top Bottom