Dolphins Scheme Packages And Roster Voids... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Scheme Packages And Roster Voids...

Eesti

Rookie
Club Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I believe there is a need for a pass defending LB. I think Anthony is (will be) better than Alonso in coverage and in run support. How they move this around will depend on what type of LB they draft (and where). If it's Roquan, then Kiko gets moved to MLB and Anthony is a nickel LB only or they leave Kiko in the nickel with Smith. If it's Edmunds then he goes to SLB as well as in the nickel with either Anthony or Alonso.

I don't see any of our DT's as full time starter material. Phillips had fewer tackles than William Hayes who missed 6 games. He also had fewer snaps and tackles than Godchaux. Believe it or not, Vincent Taylor had more tackles than Phillips in half the snaps. It will do NO good to fix our LB corp without addressing the DT spot.

TE is the other clear void.

OFFENSE

QB: Tannehill, Fales, Osweiler
HB: Drake, Gore, VOID
TE: VOID, Derby, Gray
WR: Parker
WR: Stills, Carroo
Slot: Wilson, Amendola

LT: Tunsil
LG: Sitton
C: Kilgore
RG: Davis
RT: James

Backup Linemen:
Larsen OC2, RG2, LG2
Smith OT2a
Young OT2

BASE DEFENSE 4-3-4

SDE: Hayes, Branch
DT: VOID, Phillips
DT: Godchaux, Taylor
WDE: Quinn, Harris

SLB: Anthony
MLB: McMillan, Allen
WLB: Alonso

CB: Howard, VOID
CB: Tankersley, Lippett
SS: Jones
FS: VOID, McDonald

NICKEL DEFENSE: 4-2-5

SDE: Wake
DT: Hayes
DT: VOID
WDE: Quinn

LB: Anthony
LB: McDonald

CB: Howard
CB: Tankersley
NCB: McCain

FS: VOID

SPEED PACKAGE:

DT: Harris

Of course we will also have other sub-packages like 3-3-5, etc. Maybe a 3-3-5 with a hybrid safety at OLB.

There seems to be a clear void at FS & Nickel LB. It also sounds like Burke is pushing for a hybrid player like Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick. This draft is stacked with safeties that can help in the middle of the field so we may be able to get on on day two.

Biggest needs: DT, NLB, FS, TE (in no order).

Hopefully we can add 3 starters in this draft as well as maybe a late season free agent signing. It is also possible to see a player trade. I heard we tried to claim TE, Clive Walford from waivers to no avail.

I think we have to go BPA from the positions listed above if you want to get better this year. These are the glaring holes in the roster as I see it right now.

They could also get cute and take a QB but only IF he carries a discernibly higher grade than the next available NON-QB.

Thanks for the update. Lots of voids in significant spots. Too many to expect to fill in one draft.

I really hope TBaum has a plan.

So whatever happen to Grant?

I didn't go into special teams or gadget players. He had 12.7% of the offensive snaps last year and with the addition of two receivers to replace one, he may see a slight bump in snaps but not that much IMO. Maybe a jump to around 20%?

As of right now he is still the #5 receiver.

Amendola is a also punt returner (27 last year) but I am not sure if Wilson will get a shot at KR or PR. Danny A is the safe choice (at PR) if Grant has more security issues.

How about offensive packages?

We don't have much for 12 personnel right now but we do have the roster for 4 wide or spread.

Someone mentioned on twitter today that Miami could benefit from an H-back type player like Jalen Ramsey. Someone who can line up and be a threat to run or catch. They may also use Wilson in a role similar to this as Gase has already mentioned his ability to run between the tackles.

If we can get better pass pro this year (I believe we will) then we can spread them out and work vertically. That puts 5 guys in patterns.

Stills
Parker
Wilson
Amendola
Carroo

That will be fun to watch with a LOT of mismatches.

Let me preface this by saying I believe there is a need for a pass defending LB. I think Anthony is (will be) better than Alonso in coverage and in run support. How they move this around will depend on what type of LB they draft (and where). If it's Roquan, then Kiko gets moved to MLB and Anthony is a nickel LB only or they leave Kiko in the nickel with Smith. If it's Edmunds then he goes to SLB as well as in the nickel with either Anthony or Alonso.

I don't see any of our DT's as full time starter material. Phillips had fewer tackles than William Hayes who missed 6 games. He also had fewer snaps and tackles than Godchaux. Believe it or not, Vincent Taylor had more tackles than Phillips in half the snaps. It will do NO good to fix our LB corp without addressing the DT spot.

TE is the other clear void.

OFFENSE

QB: Tannehill, Fales, Osweiler
HB: Drake, Gore, VOID
TE: VOID, Derby, Gray
WR: Parker
WR: Stills, Carroo
Slot: Wilson, Amendola

LT: Tunsil
LG: Sitton
C: Kilgore
RG: Davis
RT: James

Backup Linemen:
Larsen OC2, RG2, LG2
Smith OT2a
Young OT2

BASE DEFENSE 4-3-4

SDE: Hayes, Branch
DT: VOID, Phillips
DT: Godchaux, Taylor
WDE: Quinn, Harris

SLB: Anthony
MLB: McMillan, Allen
WLB: Alonso

CB: Howard, VOID
CB: Tankersley, Lippett
FS: VOID, McDonald

NICKEL DEFENSE: 4-2-5

DT: VOID

LB: Anthony
LB: McDonald

CB: Howard
CB: Tankersley
NCB: McCain

FS: VOID

SPEED PACKAGE:

DT: Harris

Of course we will also have other sub-packages like 3-3-5, etc. Maybe a 3-3-5 with a hybrid safety at OLB.

There seems to be a clear void at FS & Nickel LB. It also sounds like Burke is pushing for a hybrid player like Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick. This draft is stacked with safeties that can help in the middle of the field so we may be able to get on on day two.

Biggest needs: DT, NLB, FS, TE (in no order).

Hopefully we can add 3 starters in this draft as well as maybe a late season free agent signing. It is also possible to see a player trade. I heard we tried to claim TE, Clive Walford from waivers to no avail.

I think we have to go BPA from the positions listed above if you want to get better this year. These are the glaring holes in the roster as I see it right now.

They could also get cute and take a QB but only IF he carries a discernibly higher grade than the next available NON-QB.
I see it a little differently. Raekwon McMillan will probably be playing the MIKE LB role (provided he comes back fully healthy - and I fully expect him to). We do need a SAM LB and I think we are well placed to draft someone like Edmunds or Vander Esch for that task in the 1st round- (unless a player with perceived superior talent is surprisingly available at #11 eg a QB). I think Kiko Alonso plays the WILL LB role. I see Anthony and Allen as good prospects from the bench.
McMillan's physicality could be the key to significantly improving some LB teammates around him eg Kiko.

Last edited:
I like your thinking but thought you were going to expand on it further into the draft.

In my opinion this draft will come down to how seriously they plan on using TJ in the hybrid S/LB role.

By going the hybrid route I feel you must have a ball hawking Free Safety and a run stuffing Defensive Tackle.

If they are serious about it then I expect them to go some combination of Free Safety and Defensive Tackle in the first and second with the order coming down to who is available. If Minkah is there at #11 they run the card up and look for Payne to possibly drop if not then maybe Taven Bryan from Florida but now we get into a completely different type of player.

If Minkah is gone it will depend how they view James. I don’t like him in any way at Free Safety but what do I know.

With Minkah gone and let’s just say James is gone or they don’t see him as a FS then I think it is Vea who makes the most sense. He would certainly help to keep our smallish LB’s (again assuming the hybrid) clean. Vea requires constant double teams and I love the way he pushes the pocket on passing downs. There will be no stepping up to avoid our Wide 9 rush. I would like to see Vea use his hands more and he is on the ground more than I would like but I think that is in part to linemen cut blocking him as a last resort. I like Payne but I don’t think he can do for us what Vea can as Payne played on a very talented line so he wasn’t the main focus. For as strong as Payne is I also don’t think he anchors well against the double team either.

The problem as I see it with taking a DT in the first, and here is where I disagree with the OP, is that I feel there is a huge drop off at FS after Minkah. The only viable candidates I see are Watts from A&M, Bates from Wake Forest and possibly Whitehead from Pitt but they may all be a reach early in the second but might not make it to the third. Bates would be my personal favorite.

If they are not going to role with the hybrid role then I see us taking a LB in either Edwards or Smith.

Now they will probably go draft a WR and screw me all up!

I don't see how DT is a void in a 2-4-5.

Every team every year asks young players to step up. Miami's situation at DT is no different.

Great post @Eesti ! Very useful to illustrate it that way... I expect Grant to get more touches, and I believe DT isnt as urgent as you may think, but I pretty much agree with everything else...

I see it a little differently. Raekwon McMillan will probably be playing the MIKE LB role (provided he comes back fully healthy - and I fully expect him to). We do need a SAM LB and I think we are well placed to draft someone like Edmunds or Vander Esch for that task in the 1st round- (unless a player with perceived superior talent is surprisingly available at #11 eg a QB). I think Kiko Alonso plays the WILL LB role. I see Anthony and Allen as good prospects from the bench.
McMillan's physicality could be the key to significantly improving some LB teammates around him eg Kiko.

That's sort of what I said...I thought. Kiko moving to MLB would only happen if they draft a WLB like Roquan Smith.

Are you saying Kiko would stay at WLB if Roquan gets drafted?

Every team every year asks young players to step up. Miami's situation at DT is no different.

If we go into the season and stand pat at DT (assuming we draft a LB like Smith for pass defense) get ready to be run downhill on - alot

That’s the way I see it, and to me its a huge concern heading into the season, if this team gets gutted up the middle on dernese get ready for a horrid season.

I didn't list the lineup for a 2-4-5 so I didn't really call out a void for that sub-package. Not sure how much it is actually used but I'm guessing not a lot.

We've also been asking Phillips to step up for 3 years now and he was on the bench in favor of a rookie 5th round pick who dominated snaps. Maybe he does this year but I'm always leery about paying players after one good contract year. How many times do we have to ask him to step up?

I think Godchaux can make a jump but no one really knows how much. Right now he is our #1 DT. We ranked 14th against the run last year in yards allowed and were 22nd in rushing TD allowed with 14. I don't know of anyone who would project better results WITHOUT Suh.

I also don't ever remember having a good defense without 2 or 3 top notch DT's. We haven't had one since Soliai, Odrick & Starks.

Last edited:
I didn't go into special teams or gadget players. He had 12.7% of the offensive snaps last year and with the addition of two receivers to replace one, he may see a slight bump in snaps but not that much IMO. Maybe a jump to around 20%?

As of right now he is still the #5 receiver.

Amendola is a also punt returner (27 last year) but I am not sure if Wilson will get a shot at KR or PR. Danny A is the safe choice (at PR) if Grant has more security issues.

The understanding I get from what I've read about the changes this offseason is Grant will be more this season.

Back
Top Bottom