Dolphins set on WR in 1st round?

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This is from Pro Football Central(not the most reliable source):

Dolphins Possibly Coveting a Receiver in Round 1

Phil Gentles of ProFantasySports.com reported on last nights Pro Football Central Radio that the Miami Dolphins are looking for a Wide Receiver in the first round of the NFL Draft. Miami’s number 1 receiver Chris Chambers becomes a free agent after this season and some Miami executives feel his price tag may be too much to afford. One rumor that has been circulating today is the Chicago Bears trading there first overall pick (14) and there third rounder (78) to the Miami Dolphins for DE Adewale Ogunleye and there first overall pick (20). This would allow Miami to move up 6 spots to covet a receiver still available in the Draft and give Chicago Ogunleye and still a first round selection to draft a Linebacker.

The above story was before the latest articles that say the Bears have no interest in Ogunleye.

This is from Pro Football Talk:

FINS LOOKING TO MOVE DOWN?

Even if the Dolphins can land another first-round pick in exchange for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, we're hearing that the Fins might trade one or both first-rounders in an effort to snag some extra picks.

For their current pick, which is at the No. 20 spot, we hear that the Fins are interested in parlaying the selection into a second round and third round pick. They then would focus on landing multiple players (possibly along the offensive line) in the hopes that they'll secure via sheer quantity at least one solid starter for 2004 and beyond.

The Dolphins, we're told, originally were interested in Arkansas tackle Shawn Andrews. They're now concerned that he'll be gone before Miami picks. And even if Andrews is still on the board, word is that the Dolphins are concerned about his weight.

Is it possible that the Dolphins don't want Andrews and may take the best WR available?

Fat Hank said yesterday on his show that he and other guys in the South Florida sports media met with Spielman last Friday to talk about a few things including the upcoming draft and he said he didn't feel the Fins would be interested in drafting Carey at 20 if Andrews wasn't there. He also said he got the feeling that the Fins have been and still are interested in drafting a WR.

Could be Spielman using the media to keep the rest of the league guessing but take it for what it's worth...

I just did a thread about us not taking Andrews. Anything is posible. I can see us taking him and I can see us passing on him. I guess it'll all depend on who's there and what kind of trade we can get to move down.I like Evans and Wilfork at 20. I also like Smiley but don't think we'll take him there. I also don't think we'll take Carey at 20.

OZZY RULES!!

Let me see if I get this right? Chicago gets our #20, 1st round pick and Ogunleye and we get their #14 pick in the 1st round and a 3rd round pick? That doesn't sound like a very good deal on Miami's part. Other than moving up 6 spots in the 1st round we are are only getting a 3rd round pick for Ogunleye? Would this be Spielman's brain child or Wannstedt's? :shakeno: :yell: :fire:

I say no one knows. I mean hionestly do you think the Fins brain trust would make it known what they intend to do?

I heard Joe Rose on WQAM this morning, and Joe knwos the players well. He says no one has any idea what Miami is going to do. He said he believes OLine. Actually he said " if Andrews is there, don't you have to take him?" He said that the Miami coaches he has talekd to like Carey.

We can make ourselves crazy chasing every sound bite that some self glorified media source throws out. But in the end, no one knows. I eman who woudl have thought Eddie Moore last year?

fin-atic said:
I say no one knows. I mean hionestly do you think the Fins brain trust would make it known what they intend to do?

I heard Joe Rose on WQAM this morning, and Joe knwos the players well. He says no one has any idea what Miami is going to do. He said he believes OLine. Actually he said " if Andrews is there, don't you have to take him?" He said that the Miami coaches he has talekd to like Carey.

We can make ourselves crazy chasing every sound bite that some self glorified media source throws out. But in the end, no one knows. I eman who woudl have thought Eddie Moore last year?
Totaly agree with you here. Noone predicted Moore to us or even Fletcher for that matter. Of course that was mostly Wanny and now we have Rick but we could get a curve ball on this one. I think everyone's confused.I think for some reason that if Andrews is there we're gonna pass on him. Of course I could be wrong but it came to me, if he's such a great player, why would a big OT like that last to the 20th pick?Anyway, I'll trust Rick and he knows what he's doing.

Ozzy rules!!

I'll say this; although fat Hank is obnoxious as hell, he has been privy in the past to the Phins' inside draft thoughts. Assuming he wasn't lying, he was discussing one time that when he was doing the ESPN draft day gig, he had been told beforehand what the phins were going to do, who they were targetting, but he had to keep his mouth shut and not leak anything while doing the ESPN stuff.

He plays with the boys in the office. That's how he gets information; he's trusted by the office, and he provides disinformation as well. Which is my first impression of anything he would say with regard to spelling out what the Phins are thinking about going into the draft.

Nublar7 said:
Is it possible that the Dolphins don't want Andrews and may take the best WR available?

Man, i hope this is the Case.....Although I want Chambers to return and sign an extension Id love to see the Dolphins draft a WR in the first round!!!! Cmon Rick, pick a WR!

I still think that if they can trade down, whether Andrews is there or not, they do it and get the extra picks...If we only had one hole to fill, fine..take Andrews...but all we have heard from RS and DW is that they feel the OL will be good where it is...they see St. Clair as the RT, at least until McI returns and Whitley/Jerman at RG with veteran backup, perhaps S. Page. Even if they trade down 8-10 spots, they can still get a decent WR. (Clayton, Woods, Henderson-in the 2nd round) and then go with whatever floats their boat....DT, S, LB, OL)

Nublar7 said:
Miami’s number 1 receiver Chris Chambers becomes a free agent after this season and some Miami executives feel his price tag may be too much to afford.

:shakeno:

Fat Hank does have the inside and is often connected. I respect him. However, he was one of the peopel saying that Miami was going to try and trade for Peyton Manning. He is sometimes wrong.

I for one can't wait to see what happens. I just hope it make sense.

There has been much talk about us drafting a WR with our first pick. Personally, I think that this would be a horrible move by the organization. We currently have 11 WR's on the roster - R. Bellamy, N. Davis, C. Morris, M. Minnis, D. Boston, K. Newson, S. Simmons, C. Chambers, T. Wilkins, J. R. Tolver, and D. Thompson. Drafting one more would not be beneficial - regardless of whom it is!

We are aware that not all 11 will make the team, but more than likely we will carry 5 or 6. Of the 11 on the roster, for certain CC and DB will be the starters. That will leave 3 or 4 spots for the other 9 WR's on the roster to fill. DT will more than likely be the third WR. TW was brought in for his big play return ability. The final 1 or 2 spots should come down to M. Minnis, K. Newson, S. Simmons, and J. R. Tolver.

What would we possibly gain by drafting M. Williams, R. Williams, R. Williams, L. Evans, R. Woods, M. Clayton, or M. Jenkins? I agree that this is a very deep draft for WR's, but should we use our Number 1 pick on a guy that will be a number three or four WR? We do not have a glaring need for a WR, and I think that the pick should be used to add to the O-Line or to the LB's.

If we take a WR with our first pick, while having 2 Pro Bowl Caliber WR's on the roster, the WR that we pick will not crack the starting line-up and will probably only play 25 - 30 percent of the offensive plays. However, a quality OL would be on the field for 100 percent of the offensive plays. Shawn Andrews is a mauler, the best run blocker in the draft, and he will definitely have a friend in Ricky Williams during their first mini camp together.

It would be asinine to draft a WR at #20 when he will not be able to break into the starting lineup any time in the future. Why not just draft Philip Rivers if he is available at #20 - it equates to the same situation!

RS stole DB from the Chargers (Fletcher and a 6th round pick). By adding DB, we gained a tremendous amount of flexibility in the draft and are now in this horrible predicament. :roflmao:

Andrews would be a great addition for the 'Phins offensive line and he will fill our most pressing need.

ChambersOwnz84 said:

i know what you mean...

i got mad respect for chambers and if hes gotta go elsewhere to get his money, so be it... but why wouldnt this FO secure the only reliable WR weve had the past 3 seasons. I mean they guy has been on point since his rookie year...

Back
Top Bottom