Dolphins set on WR in 1st round? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins set on WR in 1st round?

I agree OL is a greater need BUT ... in a draft that extremely weak by all expert accounts it's not the best time to take a leap in that area....especially at #20. IMO Andrews is a leap ... sure he's a mauler etc. etc. but his weight control problems and a sinus polyp condition that caused him, rightfully or wrongfully, to forgoe his team's bowl game is a big concern.

On the other hand, this is a extremely strong WR draft.... even without M. Williams, probably 10 deep with potential stars & strong starters in the NFL. A WR at #20 in this draft is more like a top #10 WR in most drafts so this is the year to do it.

gearhead said:
On the other hand, this is a extremely strong WR draft.... even without M. Williams, probably 10 deep with potential stars & strong starters in the NFL. A WR at #20 in this draft is more like a top #10 WR in most drafts so this is the year to do it.

Therefore, a 3rd rounder this year would be like a 1st rounder in most drafts!

Our bread and butter does not come from the passing game. Even if it did, without a line that can give the QB some time to set up and the WR's time to get open, it doesn't matter who the QB is or who the WR's are.

OL is the only way to gowith our first pick!!!!

It could be just smoke up our arses...but maybe he wants to get a quality # 2 for next season opposite of boston...so they can lock up wale for a long time...if that is the case then drafting a wr with our first pick would be fine with me...it doesn't look like they can lock up two pro bowl calibur players for long term.

BigFinFan said:
Therefore, a 3rd rounder this year would be like a 1st rounder in most drafts!

Our bread and butter does not come from the passing game. Even if it did, without a line that can give the QB some time to set up and the WR's time to get open, it doesn't matter who the QB is or who the WR's are.

OL is the only way to gowith our first pick!!!!

No what that means is there isn't much of a drop off from the end of the 1st round till the 3rd when we can pick up another guy for the o-line.

#1 rule of drafting is that you take the best person available and don't reach far because of need.

Any other year and Andrews is a 2nd round prospect. O-line is so weak that I'd rather we risk our 3rd rounder on a prospect before that. Even Andrews is a risk at 20.

If we can't nail Andrews I'd be happy in dipping into the deeper WR/DT pool or grabbing one of the pretty good LB's if they drop some.

Last edited by a moderator:
And BIG FIN FAN! I'm a san diego fin fan also...so i don't think you can say you're the only one now...haha its cool tho...growing up as a fin-addict i thought i was the only fan in SD too...so i can see where you are coming from...im from there too.

BigFinFan said:
But why would we waste a 1st round pick on a WR that will end up being our our 3rd WR? That has been my point all along! We have 2 Pro Bowl WR's, and we do not need a 1st round WR to "Ride the Pine". We have needs elsewhere - not glaring needs, but needs.

I cannot imagine us not being able to find a trading partner. If we offered the #20, we would be able to drop down and acquire at least 2 more picks - and still get the players that we need.

I truly agree that we should take the BPA - but there are certain circumstances in which we should drop down and pick up a few picks. There are a few areas that need addressing BEFORE any other area. At this time, I am least concerned about QB and WR - for once!

- If our pick comes up at #20 and the BPA is Rivers - do we take him? No, we drop down and acquire more picks.
- If our pick comes up at #20 and the BPA is a WR - do we take him? No, we drop down and acquire more picks.

***** These are the only two scenarios in which the BPA is not taken *****

The draft is very deep this year at WR, and we should look to take one in the 3rd or 4th round. I personally think that we will be able to get a Quality WR that will compete for the number 3 WR position with our 3rd or 4th round pick.

I am officially starting the

"Just Say no to a WR in the First Round Bandwagon"!

Jump aboard ckparrothead and Dr. Astrozoom!!!

With the exceptional depth at WR in the draft, i think it would be a little foolish to spend our 1st pick there, all things being considered. With OL being a need and lack of OLman in the draft, me thinks it would be better to at least concentrate there. Even this AMs SS article agrees with me !! :D BPA will be fine as long as it's OL !! :lol:

Unless it is Andrews or Smiley, an offensive lineman is a tremendous reach in the first round. You DO NOT reach for players just because you have a need at that position.

It might be worth noting that we really haven't had the best of luck drafting WR's in the first round (Randall Hill, Yatil Green, even OJ McDuffie)...I think that unless a solid OL is available @ 20, we trade down and obtain key players that we need in later rounds...

KBISBACK said:
Unless it is Andrews or Smiley, an offensive lineman is a tremendous reach in the first round. You DO NOT reach for players just because you have a need at that position.

I would say carey instead of Smiley, who's generally rated as a second rounder, that i've seen anyway. At least careyis one of thr 3 rated first rounders behind gallery and Andrews. But if not Andrews or Carey and we do not trade down, then my choice if there would be DJ Williams. He's probably the one there that could help us the most right now.

Just a few quotes from members IRT drafting a WR in the 1st round:

It would be asinine to take a WR in the First Round. We should trade down and acquire more picks

Drafting a WR at #20 is a wasted pick! If Andrews is gone, we should trade down and acquire more picks.

Using a 1st round pick to grab a WR that will spend 60% - 70% of the Offensive plays on the sideline is asinine.

How many teams in draft history do you see drafting a top 20 WR despite having two pro bowl caliber WRs locked into LONGTERM contracts?

Its just not done. You don't draft a top 20 pick into a situation where he is not going to be able to break into the starting lineup any time in the foreseeable future. And with Boston locked for another 4 years or so, and Chambers to be extended, thats the situation a rookie WR would be stepping into.

I'd go Andrews...Here's why.

Ricky Williams.

You give RW a strong, athletic OL, and he'll run the like the wind blows. He's already the main focus of defenses, and if we add a guy like Andrews, he'll be very tough to stop.

We learned the hard way last year trying to get it done with average talent up front, and it cost us plenty. Our OL needs to be fixed, and Andrew will go a very long way in helping accomplish that...

Face it, Ricky and the QB are our most valued assets. You going to protect them with mediocre talent and watch them struggle, or you going to get them the beef they need and watch them flourish???....

It's like having a very rare, very expensive diamond. You going to get machine guns to protect it, or are you going to use a sling shot???...

Let me start off by saying having Chambers, Boston, and Williams in February 2005 (and all playing to their level of talent in '04) is about as nice dilemma as you can have.

But the odds are that you only keep them together one year. If all three show those wares, Chambers likely leaves via free agency. Can't keep them all. And while that would be ok for Chris, my little Dolphin heart probably couldn't take it.

As for a KC type of offense, you make a very interesting point. And we wouldn't even need Williams for that. Lee Evans and any of those "second tier" receivers would do just fine. And Derrius Thompson could be your Marc Boerigter. Maybe Tolver steps up too.

But it's worth noting that KC doesn't have a receiver the caliber of Chambers or Boston. So it's conceivable that with an improved OL, we could be even better than that KC offense.

Green - Feeley
Holmes - Williams
Richardson - Konrad

Kennison - Chambers
Morton - Boston
Hall - Evans/Woods/etc
Boerigter - Thompson

Gonzalez - McMichael

The OL is still heavily in favor of KC. But you can see what I'm getting at. Our WRs would be unquestionably better. And with a better OL, we could really be explosive.

Again, lots of ifs. Just dreaming here. It's the offseason. I'd still take Andrews.

So, you take Andrews despite questions concerning his weight, his nasal polyposis in the South Florida humidity, and a bulging disk in his back? The bulging disk is the biggest red flag at this point. You could get yourself into a Daryl Gardener situation where he has to have back surgery and misses 5 games every year due to his back.

If you absolutely have to go for an offensive lineman, I go with Justin Smiley. He's the best offensive lineman valued around the 20th pick that has the least amount of question marks. He's one of only two linemen in this draft that I have no doubts will be able to come in and start from day 1.

As far as taking a receiver goes, in today's game, you need three starting caliber wide receivers to have an effective passing game. Arizona had the rookie of the year at wide receiver last year and spent a 1st round pick on Bryant Johnson as well. What are they going to do in this draft? They are going to take Larry Fitzgerald to go along with Anquan Boldin and Bryant Johnson. It's the same thing Dennis Green did in Minnesota when he took Randy Moss despite having Chris Carter and Jake Reed established as his starting wide receivers.

Miami currently does not have anyone behind Boston and Chambers that can start if either goes down. They also don't have anyone that will give them much of a threat in the three wide sets. If you don't get that 3rd receiver to make the passing game go, you are once again limiting your offense.

Look at Kansas City's offensive line again.

The only player on that line that was a first round pick is Willie Roaf. John Tait was a first round pick, but he's gone to Chicago. Will Shields was a 2nd round pick when he was drafted out of Nebraska. Casey Weigman was an undrafted player. Brian Waters was not drafted. Chris Bober was not drafted.

Kansas City has a good offensive line because they didn't throw the players who didn't play much as a rookie out with the bath water after their first season. They drafted their linemen late and developed them. They were patient with their linemen.

BigFinFan said:
Just a few quotes from members IRT drafting a WR in the 1st round:

How many teams in draft history do you see drafting a top 20 WR despite having two pro bowl caliber WRs locked into LONGTERM contracts?

Its just not done. You don't draft a top 20 pick into a situation where he is not going to be able to break into the starting lineup any time in the foreseeable future. And with Boston locked for another 4 years or so, and Chambers to be extended, thats the situation a rookie WR would be stepping into.

]

Hmmm...this might be part of the problem with our disagreement. I do not think that the Dolphins are completely secure with the future of the WR corps. Chambers has not agreed upon any extension. I am sure the Dolphins plan on offering him one, but the situation is certainly not the slam dunk you make it out to be. He could get better offers from other teams and decide to move on. Another team could overpay for him.

Also, Boston, while under contract for the next few years, is certainly not a stable situation. He is flaky and has been inconsistent in his production. I think he'll do better now that he is in a winning environment and reunited with his coach, but that is not a given. That is part of the reason he was available so inexpensively. He is a risk.

I am hopeful that both of these situations work out for us. However, there is a need to upgrade our 3rd WR. There is also a need to secure ourselves at WR by having a starting-quality WR ready to step up in case everything doesn't work out just right with both Chambers and Boston.

Therefore, I think WR is a need and that we may address this need in the 1st round of this draft if a WR is the BPA available when we're on the clock. I do not think that would be asinine. I think it would be wise.

Back
Top Bottom