Dolphins set on WR in 1st round? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins set on WR in 1st round?

BigFinFan said:
There has been much talk about us drafting a WR with our first pick. Personally, I think that this would be a horrible move by the organization. We currently have 11 WR's on the roster - R. Bellamy, N. Davis, C. Morris, M. Minnis, D. Boston, K. Newson, S. Simmons, C. Chambers, T. Wilkins, J. R. Tolver, and D. Thompson. Drafting one more would not be beneficial - regardless of whom it is!

We are aware that not all 11 will make the team, but more than likely we will carry 5 or 6. Of the 11 on the roster, for certain CC and DB will be the starters. That will leave 3 or 4 spots for the other 9 WR's on the roster to fill. DT will more than likely be the third WR. TW was brought in for his big play return ability. The final 1 or 2 spots should come down to M. Minnis, K. Newson, S. Simmons, and J. R. Tolver.

What would we possibly gain by drafting M. Williams, R. Williams, R. Williams, L. Evans, R. Woods, M. Clayton, or M. Jenkins? I agree that this is a very deep draft for WR's, but should we use our Number 1 pick on a guy that will be a number three or four WR? We do not have a glaring need for a WR, and I think that the pick should be used to add to the O-Line or to the LB's.

If we take a WR with our first pick, while having 2 Pro Bowl Caliber WR's on the roster, the WR that we pick will not crack the starting line-up and will probably only play 25 - 30 percent of the offensive plays. However, a quality OL would be on the field for 100 percent of the offensive plays. Shawn Andrews is a mauler, the best run blocker in the draft, and he will definitely have a friend in Ricky Williams during their first mini camp together.

It would be asinine to draft a WR at #20 when he will not be able to break into the starting lineup any time in the future. Why not just draft Philip Rivers if he is available at #20 - it equates to the same situation!

RS stole DB from the Chargers (Fletcher and a 6th round pick). By adding DB, we gained a tremendous amount of flexibility in the draft and are now in this horrible predicament. :roflmao:

Andrews would be a great addition for the 'Phins offensive line and he will fill our most pressing need.

:clap:

Nublar7 said:
This is from Pro Football Central(not the most reliable source):

Dolphins Possibly Coveting a Receiver in Round 1

Phil Gentles of ProFantasySports.com reported on last nights Pro Football Central Radio that the Miami Dolphins are looking for a Wide Receiver in the first round of the NFL Draft. Miami’s number 1 receiver Chris Chambers becomes a free agent after this season and some Miami executives feel his price tag may be too much to afford. One rumor that has been circulating today is the Chicago Bears trading there first overall pick (14) and there third rounder (78) to the Miami Dolphins for DE Adewale Ogunleye and there first overall pick (20). This would allow Miami to move up 6 spots to covet a receiver still available in the Draft and give Chicago Ogunleye and still a first round selection to draft a Linebacker.

The above story was before the latest articles that say the Bears have no interest in Ogunleye.

This is from Pro Football Talk:

FINS LOOKING TO MOVE DOWN?

Even if the Dolphins can land another first-round pick in exchange for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, we're hearing that the Fins might trade one or both first-rounders in an effort to snag some extra picks.

For their current pick, which is at the No. 20 spot, we hear that the Fins are interested in parlaying the selection into a second round and third round pick. They then would focus on landing multiple players (possibly along the offensive line) in the hopes that they'll secure via sheer quantity at least one solid starter for 2004 and beyond.

The Dolphins, we're told, originally were interested in Arkansas tackle Shawn Andrews. They're now concerned that he'll be gone before Miami picks. And even if Andrews is still on the board, word is that the Dolphins are concerned about his weight.

Is it possible that the Dolphins don't want Andrews and may take the best WR available?

Chicago says no to any ogun deals, "for now".

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...9bears,1,7421890.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Nublar7 said:
This is from Pro Football Central(not the most reliable source):

Dolphins Possibly Coveting a Receiver in Round 1

Phil Gentles of ProFantasySports.com reported on last nights Pro Football Central Radio that the Miami Dolphins are looking for a Wide Receiver in the first round of the NFL Draft. Miami’s number 1 receiver Chris Chambers becomes a free agent after this season and some Miami executives feel his price tag may be too much to afford. One rumor that has been circulating today is the Chicago Bears trading there first overall pick (14) and there third rounder (78) to the Miami Dolphins for DE Adewale Ogunleye and there first overall pick (20). This would allow Miami to move up 6 spots to covet a receiver still available in the Draft and give Chicago Ogunleye and still a first round selection to draft a Linebacker.

The above story was before the latest articles that say the Bears have no interest in Ogunleye.

This is from Pro Football Talk:

FINS LOOKING TO MOVE DOWN?

Even if the Dolphins can land another first-round pick in exchange for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, we're hearing that the Fins might trade one or both first-rounders in an effort to snag some extra picks.

For their current pick, which is at the No. 20 spot, we hear that the Fins are interested in parlaying the selection into a second round and third round pick. They then would focus on landing multiple players (possibly along the offensive line) in the hopes that they'll secure via sheer quantity at least one solid starter for 2004 and beyond.

The Dolphins, we're told, originally were interested in Arkansas tackle Shawn Andrews. They're now concerned that he'll be gone before Miami picks. And even if Andrews is still on the board, word is that the Dolphins are concerned about his weight.

Is it possible that the Dolphins don't want Andrews and may take the best WR available?

Chicago says no deal for ogun......"for now", anyway!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...9bears,1,7421890.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Amin said:
i know what you mean...

i got mad respect for chambers and if hes gotta go elsewhere to get his money, so be it... but why wouldnt this FO secure the only reliable WR weve had the past 3 seasons. I mean they guy has been on point since his rookie year...

:shakeno:

Seems like the front office doen't want to pony up the cash but asd far as im concerned chambers doesnt seem like that kind of player

I think if the coaches are considering WR a lot its because they dont like Carey and don't think Andrews will be available.

Taking a WR over OL would be a direct slap in the face from Rick straight to Dave. Dave just got done saying we won't be using 3 WR sets this year, so what does Rick do? Draft a 1st round pick to be our 3rd WR for a few years.

if chris chambers won´t be a dolphin next season, i will do harakiri....:yell:, you gotta lock him up rick.... :fire:

Hell No Chambers dont go, Hell no he wont go! Cant let CC go, he is one of the core guys, no way, he will be re-signed, has to, he has to,..............tell me he is going to re-sign.

BigFinFan: If Carey and Andrews are off the board at #20 and we cannot find a viable trading partner to move down a few spots, we'll need to draft the BPA. What if that BPA is clearly a WR?

Also, I know that you qualified your list of current Dolphin WRs by saying that "not all 11 will make the team," but I think we can certainly upgrade the list of the 5 or 6 most likely to make the team. I think any of the WRs that might be available to us at #20 could easily supplant Thompson as our #3 WR. I think Thompson should have to fight it out with Simmons and Tolver for the 4th WR spot, and he might not win that battle.

We have a few needs that we can address in this draft:
--OLman for the right side
--3rd WR
--Back-up MLB
--Talented youth at DT

Barring the ability to secure a beneficial trade, I think we'll take the BPA from among the 4 positions listed above. And from the way this draft board stacks up, that might very well be a WR.

DannyNoonan said:
BigFinFan: If Carey and Andrews are off the board at #20 and we cannot find a viable trading partner to move down a few spots, we'll need to draft the BPA. What if that BPA is clearly a WR?

Also, I know that you qualified your list of current Dolphin WRs by saying that "not all 11 will make the team," but I think we can certainly upgrade the list of the 5 or 6 most likely to make the team. I think any of the WRs that might be available to us at #20 could easily supplant Thompson as our #3 WR. I think Thompson should have to fight it out with Simmons and Tolver for the 4th WR spot, and he might not win that battle.

We have a few needs that we can address in this draft:
--OLman for the right side
--3rd WR
--Back-up MLB
--Talented youth at DT

Barring the ability to secure a beneficial trade, I think we'll take the BPA from among the 4 positions listed above. And from the way this draft board stacks up, that might very well be a WR.

But why would we waste a 1st round pick on a WR that will end up being our our 3rd WR? That has been my point all along! We have 2 Pro Bowl WR's, and we do not need a 1st round WR to "Ride the Pine". We have needs elsewhere - not glaring needs, but needs.

I cannot imagine us not being able to find a trading partner. If we offered the #20, we would be able to drop down and acquire at least 2 more picks - and still get the players that we need.

I truly agree that we should take the BPA - but there are certain circumstances in which we should drop down and pick up a few picks. There are a few areas that need addressing BEFORE any other area. At this time, I am least concerned about QB and WR - for once!

- If our pick comes up at #20 and the BPA is Rivers - do we take him? No, we drop down and acquire more picks.
- If our pick comes up at #20 and the BPA is a WR - do we take him? No, we drop down and acquire more picks.

***** These are the only two scenarios in which the BPA is not taken *****

The draft is very deep this year at WR, and we should look to take one in the 3rd or 4th round. I personally think that we will be able to get a Quality WR that will compete for the number 3 WR position with our 3rd or 4th round pick.

I am officially starting the

"Just Say no to a WR in the First Round Bandwagon"!

Jump aboard ckparrothead and Dr. Astrozoom!!!

Actually, a wide receiver makes a lot of sense in the first round for a number of reasons. Agreed, we must get a quality lineman out of this draft, but at what point? If Andrews is gone (I believe he will be picked before #20), do we take a risk on Carey who, by his own admission, is a lazy, undisciplined player? We are not going to take a guard or a center in the first round. Spielman is a very technical, precise general manager that goes by the book and he will not draft any lineman but a tackle in the first round.

If there is no value at tackle, then wide receiver makes sense because of the talent available and the chance to upgrade our pathetic passing game.
I love Michael Jenkins for many reasons.
1) He is 6'4" 220 lbs and very muscular
2) He will make a great number 3 receiver who can go over the middle and make the tough catches near the goal line or the get the first down.
3) He was extremely consistent. He caught at least 1 pass in every game he played at Ohio State (38).
4) He is extemely fast - 4.3 speed which gives us another great weapon. Could you imagine Jenkins, Boston, Chambers, and McMichael. That will give any D-Coordinator the squirts.
5) He is a great punt returner - something we haven't had in years. Wilkins will be this year's version of Charlie Rogers. We need new, fresh blood
6) He offers great insurance if either starter (Chambers or Boston) is hurt or if we lose Chambers or Boston gets squirrley again.

I think Jenkins is very underrated and great value who provides many needs for us. The few knocks on him are easily correctable under the great Jerry Sullivan.

We'll get a decent O-lineman in the 3rd (Tony Pape, Kelly Butler, etc). I just don't know about getting a tackle in the first. Hopefully, Andrews will be there and he would be a great pick, I just don't think he'll be available.

FinFan57 said:
Actually, a wide receiver makes a lot of sense in the first round for a number of reasons. Agreed, we must get a quality lineman out of this draft, but at what point? If Andrews is gone (I believe he will be picked before #20), do we take a risk on Carey who, by his own admission, is a lazy, undisciplined player? We are not going to take a guard or a center in the first round. Spielman is a very technical, precise general manager that goes by the book and he will not draft any lineman but a tackle in the first round.

If there is no value at tackle, then wide receiver makes sense because of the talent available and the chance to upgrade our pathetic passing game.
I love Michael Jenkins for many reasons.
1) He is 6'4" 220 lbs and very muscular
2) He will make a great number 3 receiver who can go over the middle and make the tough catches near the goal line or the get the first down.
3) He was extremely consistent. He caught at least 1 pass in every game he played at Ohio State (38).
4) He is extemely fast - 4.3 speed which gives us another great weapon. Could you imagine Jenkins, Boston, Chambers, and McMichael. That will give any D-Coordinator the squirts.
5) He is a great punt returner - something we haven't had in years. Wilkins will be this year's version of Charlie Rogers. We need new, fresh blood
6) He offers great insurance if either starter (Chambers or Boston) is hurt or if we lose Chambers or Boston gets squirrley again.

I think Jenkins is very underrated and great value who provides many needs for us. The few knocks on him are easily correctable under the great Jerry Sullivan.

We'll get a decent O-lineman in the 3rd (Tony Pape, Kelly Butler, etc). I just don't know about getting a tackle in the first. Hopefully, Andrews will be there and he would be a great pick, I just don't think he'll be available.

Where is there a greater need though, WR or OL? As deep as the draft is, we can still get a very good WR in the 3rd round. The possibilites of getting the same value for the OL is not nearly as good in the 3rd round!

Nublar7 said:

It's very possible. They are going after a player at any position (IMO) worthy of a pick at 20. They are not SET at drafting an OL. They realize that teams are not clammering to trade up with us (if it does happen that we trade back, I bet you'll get that OL that you want).....but if we stay at 20 I see Andrews long gone and more pick value at WR.

Personally, I wish we could trade back if it comes to that and grab an OL and WR with the top 2 picks. I'd even be happy with a FS with the extra pick.

I'd rather have Grove, Snee or Smiley and a WR like Evans, Clayton, etc in a trade back than Carey at 20 overall.

BigFinFan said:
Where is there a greater need though, WR or OL? As deep as the draft is, we can still get a very good WR in the 3rd round. The possibilites of getting the same value for the OL is not nearly as good in the 3rd round!

The need at OL is greater (I admit) but, as you admit, getting a better 3rd WR is a need. Just don't be surprised if the BPA at #20 is a WR. As FinFan57 stated, there are good reasons to draft a WR in round one.

I do think we should be able to trade down. However, that is not guaranteed. Plenty of teams have been looking to trade down. If all we get for moving down a few spots is a 5th or 6th rounder, is that worth it?

Also, if we cannot trade down and Rivers is the BPA, you take Rivers. Letting too many BPAs go by hurts the franchise over the long haul. The last time a QB slid down to us when we weren't looking for a QB was in 1983.

Back
Top Bottom