Dolphins should go bargain hunting in Free Agency .. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins should go bargain hunting in Free Agency ..

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
At quarterback, the team is solid with Tannehill and Moore. 34 year old Michael Vick is an option, as he was coached by Bill Lazor in Philadelphia. Trading or releasing Moore would free up $4 million. Josh McCown, a former Dolphin, is the only other possible upgrade. Pat Devlin may be better than the rest of the free agents on the market.

At running back, the Dolphins could sign a power back like Ben Tate or LeGarrette Blount, but they will be expensive. CFL Grey Cup MVP and former Dolphin, Kory Sheets, could be a better, under the radar, signing. Green Bay Fullback John Kuhn is a proven as a blocker and in short yardage and pass catching. According to his position coach, he changed the pass blocking protections when Aaron Rodgers was out, never gave up a sack and was great on third down pass protection. I am sure Philbin would love to have him back on his team.

At wide receiver, the team could target Anquan Boldin, who at 33 is still an elite receiver. Should the new GM decide to move Mike Wallace, Ted Ginn Jr. and Devin Hester are elite return men who can also run the go route and catch screen passes. Armon Binns could be brought back in hopes that he develops as the big target Tannehill needs.

At tight end, the Dolphins have Charles Clay, but could use a bigger target. Re-signing Dustin Keller, assuming his recovery is going well, could. Green Bay’s JerMichael Finley, another comeback player of the year candidate, could also be a huge signing.

The offensive line will be rebuilt. The savings of allowing Richie Incognito ($4 million) and Tyson Clabo ($3.5 million) to leave via free agency, could allow Miami to bid on Branden Albert, but Michael Oher, who has been playing right tackle, could move back to the blind side. On the interior of the line, 32 year old Wade Smith could be a fit as he was a Pro Bowler in Houston under new offensive line coach, John Benton.

The defensive line is a pretty strong group, but Paul Soliai and Randy Starks are free agents. I would allow them to test free agency, because A.J. Francis was impressive last pre-season and allowing those two to depart would net the Dolphins a solid compensatory draft pick in 2015. Trading Cameron Wake could also make sense as he could command draft pick compensation and free up $3 million in cap space. Wake is 32, so his value will never be higher.

At linebacker, the group could use depth. The Dolphins may be forced to go with the same group due to their inflated contracts. Dion Jordan may play more at outside linebacker since he has a talent in coverage and strong pass rushing skills. Some affordable options at inside linebacker are former Hurricanes D.J. Williams and Jonathan Vilma.

At cornerback, Miami is very talented. Brent Grimes will certainly be retained, because he was amazing in 2013. Nolan Carroll is an affordable option as a third cornerback, but it is possible the team will move forward with the cheaper alternatives currently on the roster.

At safety, Chris Clemons could be deemed to expensive and Miami may not address this position prior to the draft. Signing Ed Reed could be a good option. Many are writing him off, but I would not be surprised if he had another good season left in him.

On special teams, the Dolphins have a bargain at kicker and a punter who is worth every penny, but $3 million may be more than the new GM wants to budget for the position. Restructuring the deal is a possibility.

I am not opposed to a big signing or two, but the risk reward ratio is better at this price range. Last year, the Dolphins landed their best free agent, Brent Grimes, on a one year deal. Dustin Keller was also looking like a great signing before his injury.

Lastly, Tyson Clabo started 15 games. Those were the best signings of 2013, because they filled immediate holes and did not force the team into long term commitments.

Dennis Hickey was smart to take this job, because the Dolphins are in a good financial position thanks to the large amount of free agents coming off the books and the large amount of solid players under contract.

It is an exciting off-season to be a Miami Dolphins fan, believe it or not.

http://www.phinnation.com/dolphins-should-go-bargain-hunting-in-free-agency/2/

And I agree with the writer.

I have no issue waiting until the 2nd tier of FA. Best bargins and fits are found there. I just might not do that for LT. I might dive in deep for that position.

Our O line is the biggest hole and should be top priority, followed by resigning Grimes. After that would be minimal upgrades for bargain...nothing to exciting for me to think about in FA. I'm More so curious how the draft will unfold.

Wallace is a keeper for right now.

The Fins should be about acquiring talent not giving it away.

Wallace is a keeper for right now.

The Fins should be about acquiring talent not giving it away.

Why in the word, not referring to you, But the poster want to give up Mike Wallace? Geez!

Why would the Phins consider Oher at LT. He wouldn't be much of an upgrade over McKinney.

At quarterback, the team is solid with Tannehill and Moore. 34 year old Michael Vick is an option, as he was coached by Bill Lazor in Philadelphia. Trading or releasing Moore would free up $4 million. Josh McCown, a former Dolphin, is the only other possible upgrade. Pat Devlin may be better than the rest of the free agents on the market.

At running back, the Dolphins could sign a power back like Ben Tate or LeGarrette Blount, but they will be expensive. CFL Grey Cup MVP and former Dolphin, Kory Sheets, could be a better, under the radar, signing. Green Bay Fullback John Kuhn is a proven as a blocker and in short yardage and pass catching. According to his position coach, he changed the pass blocking protections when Aaron Rodgers was out, never gave up a sack and was great on third down pass protection. I am sure Philbin would love to have him back on his team.

At wide receiver, the team could target Anquan Boldin, who at 33 is still an elite receiver. Should the new GM decide to move Mike Wallace, Ted Ginn Jr. and Devin Hester are elite return men who can also run the go route and catch screen passes. Armon Binns could be brought back in hopes that he develops as the big target Tannehill needs.

At tight end, the Dolphins have Charles Clay, but could use a bigger target. Re-signing Dustin Keller, assuming his recovery is going well, could. Green Bay’s JerMichael Finley, another comeback player of the year candidate, could also be a huge signing.

The offensive line will be rebuilt. The savings of allowing Richie Incognito ($4 million) and Tyson Clabo ($3.5 million) to leave via free agency, could allow Miami to bid on Branden Albert, but Michael Oher, who has been playing right tackle, could move back to the blind side. On the interior of the line, 32 year old Wade Smith could be a fit as he was a Pro Bowler in Houston under new offensive line coach, John Benton.

The defensive line is a pretty strong group, but Paul Soliai and Randy Starks are free agents. I would allow them to test free agency, because A.J. Francis was impressive last pre-season and allowing those two to depart would net the Dolphins a solid compensatory draft pick in 2015. Trading Cameron Wake could also make sense as he could command draft pick compensation and free up $3 million in cap space. Wake is 32, so his value will never be higher.

At linebacker, the group could use depth. The Dolphins may be forced to go with the same group due to their inflated contracts. Dion Jordan may play more at outside linebacker since he has a talent in coverage and strong pass rushing skills. Some affordable options at inside linebacker are former Hurricanes D.J. Williams and Jonathan Vilma.

At cornerback, Miami is very talented. Brent Grimes will certainly be retained, because he was amazing in 2013. Nolan Carroll is an affordable option as a third cornerback, but it is possible the team will move forward with the cheaper alternatives currently on the roster.

At safety, Chris Clemons could be deemed to expensive and Miami may not address this position prior to the draft. Signing Ed Reed could be a good option. Many are writing him off, but I would not be surprised if he had another good season left in him.

On special teams, the Dolphins have a bargain at kicker and a punter who is worth every penny, but $3 million may be more than the new GM wants to budget for the position. Restructuring the deal is a possibility.

I am not opposed to a big signing or two, but the risk reward ratio is better at this price range. Last year, the Dolphins landed their best free agent, Brent Grimes, on a one year deal. Dustin Keller was also looking like a great signing before his injury.

Lastly, Tyson Clabo started 15 games. Those were the best signings of 2013, because they filled immediate holes and did not force the team into long term commitments.

Dennis Hickey was smart to take this job, because the Dolphins are in a good financial position thanks to the large amount of free agents coming off the books and the large amount of solid players under contract.

It is an exciting off-season to be a Miami Dolphins fan, believe it or not.

http://www.phinnation.com/dolphins-should-go-bargain-hunting-in-free-agency/2/

And I agree with the writer.

Move mike wallace lol

When you think about it, Ireland was not really very good at finding value at the second tier level. Every year he made a splurge in Free Agency, sometimes it worked, eg Grimes, but more often than not the expensive FA turned out to be a dud. He was not a great at waiting and finding value. When you think about it last year, the rush to spend top $ on Philip Wheeler was not the act of a value shopper. The year before it was CB Richard Marshall. In his first year it was the dreadful Jacksonville WR Ernest Wilford. (He probably got the inclination to splurge from his days in Dallas.
Hopefully, Dennis Hickey is better able to find some good value Free Agents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep Wallace, damn, not even should be a thought. Hopefully our GM will find the diamonds amongst second tier free agents but they don't always pan out.

I'm very interested in Oher. Talented player who has been good until this season. Because of the poor season, he should come relatively cheap. If other teams have the same notion, he won't be as cheap as you'd like. That's the only catch for me.

Not incredibly well written.

Vick should not be an option at QB. He's said he wants to start, and if we cut Moore, we need to proceed with Devlin as the backup, and a late round developmental QB.

Sheets is not a serious option at RB, though Tate could be. Blount can't pass block, and that's a big issue for our offensive system. Kuhn could be a possibility.

We are set a WR if we bring back Binns.

It wouldn't hurt to bring in a big red zone target at TE, but I'd prefer one that isn't one injury away from being done for his career (Finley), or may already be done (Keller).

Oher was bad at LT, and not good at RT either. He shouldn't be looked at as a starter. Wade Smith is a good fit, but he's older, and if we are going to spend money on Oline, I'd rather pick up guys who are going to stay for a while. If we are looking for bargains, we should start with Collins and Saffold.

We need to keep Soliai in my opinion, unless we have a plan on how to replace him at NT. No one else on our roster is his type of space eating NT, and we were horrible against the run this year. Without a large NT, we'd have been an even bigger joke.
While trading Wake sounds good, it's unlikely to happen. We don't have a proven player to replace him, and teams are unlikely to give up a high pick for a 32 year old with a contract that isn't exactly small.

We are probably set at LB, unless we draft someone. We have too much invested in Wheeler and Ellerbe to cut them this year.

We should probably keep Grimes, but that's not set in stone. If he asks for too much, we could easily go after one of the many other corners on the market. Carroll should only be kept if he is willing to stay at a very cheap price.

Dear GOD, please no Ed Reed. He's totally washed up. We should lock up Clemons for 2 more years, and draft a guy in the mid rounds to develop/backup.

We are set at Kicker and Punter.

No reason that Wheeler could not be cut with a post June 1st designation.

Back
Top Bottom