Dolphins sign Earl Mitchell | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign Earl Mitchell

The Dolphins view Mitchell as a replacement for Paul Soliai and Randy Starks. Soliai is already gone, agreeing to a five-year, $33 million contract with the Falcons, with $14 million guaranteed. Soliai will earn $11 million in the first year of the deal – far more than the Dolphins were willing to play.

Instead, they’ll go with Mitchell – an under-the-radar talent who did the dirty work in Houston, taking on double teams that often allowed J.J. Watt to make plays. When he was on the field last year, the Texans’ run defense allowed just 3.1 yards per carry; when he wasn’t, that average ballooned to 4.2. He led all nose tackles with 50 tackles and tallied 2.5 sacks in a defense that wasn’t designed for him to make plays.

Mitchell, from the University of Arizona, ran a 4.75-second 40 as a 296-pounder at at the Scouting Combine. That athletic ability has him drawing interest from other teams around the league. Plus at just 26, he’s got plenty left in the tank.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/11/3987727/miami-dolphins-target-free-agent.html#storylink=cpy

A word of caution... Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE was singing Ireland's praises Day 1 last year after landing Wallace, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Gibson and Keller.

EVERYONE knew Wheeler sucked and we had o-line issues too. EVERYONE loved the draft. ANNNND EVERYONE also hated the draft.

CRAP......I really wanted Soliai back :-(

Soliai should perform better in the 3-4 the Falcons plan to run. I have seen comments that Mitchell should excel in a 4-3. He was an undersized NT in Houston. Odrick and Mitchell are both athletic DT, so I anticipate them being a good 4-3 pairing. Swapping Soliai for Mitchell guarantees we will primarily run a 4-3 next year (just like 2013).

Nick Giovanni ‏@KPRCNickG 10m

Just spoke with #Texans DT Earl Mitchell. Told me he's on his way for a visit with #Dolphins, but no deal's official yet. @KPRCLocal2

Considering Soliai just signed with Atlanta for 5 years/ $33 million, I think we did right by not spending that kind of money on Soliai and getting Mitchell instead.

Nick Giovanni ‏@KPRCNickG 10m

Just spoke with #Texans DT Earl Mitchell. Told me he's on his way for a visit with #Dolphins, but no deal's official yet. @KPRCLocal2

It will be when he flies into South Florida and signs the contract.

Considering Soliai just signed with Atlanta for 5 years/ $33 million, I think we did right by not spending that kind of money on Soliai and getting Mitchell instead.

I liked Soliai but according to PFF he was bottom 5 in terms of ROI for us.

Back
Top Bottom