Dolphins' Surprise Starter At Linebacker Is From 2018 Draft Class | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' Surprise Starter At Linebacker Is From 2018 Draft Class

Eesti

Rookie
Club Member
Reaction score
What if the Dolphins linebacker acquired with a 2018 draft pick who makes the biggest impact this fall is not Jerome Baker, but Stephone Anthony?

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article212735884.html#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article212735884.html#storylink=cpy

Feels like they are gearing up for life beyond Kiko Alonso. Future starting unit...

SLB Anthony (4.56 40)
MLB McMillan (4.61)
WLB Baker (4.53)

It's not to late for Anthony to become a great player. He has the tools, IMO.

Baker and Anthony as the nickle LB's.

Kiko has an 8.3M cap hit next year and only a 3.5M dead hit if released. He and branch may both be gone in 2019. Cutting Branch saves us $7M and Kiko saves us $4.8M.

Feels like they are gearing up for life beyond Kiko Alonso. Future starting unit...

SLB Anthony (4.56 40)
MLB McMillan (4.61)
WLB Baker (4.53)

his instincts have always bee his problem, but he has the ability to be an impact player in the right situation. He looked good towards the end of last year for sure.

SLB Anthony (4.56 40)
MLB McMillan (4.61)
WLB Baker (4.53)

It didn't mention Alonso but I agree. Baker will steal some snaps this season and hopefully step into the starting lineup the next after Kiko is (*fingers crossed*) released.

SLB Anthony (4.56 40)
MLB McMillan (4.61)
WLB Baker (4.53)

Kiko has an 8.3M cap hit next year and only a 3.5M dead hit if released. He and branch may both be gone in 2019. Cutting Branch saves us $7M and Kiko saves us $4.8M.

As much as I struggled with KA last year, a unit of 2 "rookies" and a guy starting his 2nd year in the system doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Still think KA is one of the 3.

SLB Anthony (4.56 40)
MLB McMillan (4.61)
WLB Baker (4.53)

Like you, I think most fans feel both Branch and Kiko are most likely cut after the season for cap related purposes. Imho, Kiko may try to stay at a reduced rate considering his Heritage and the connection to the fan base in Little Havana? In therory they look like the most logical cap casualties. If McDonald bombs again this year he may be out the door too.

I hope those three all get the playbook down and excel at their positions. Imagine having a fast group that knows where to be.

this brings back memories of the Wheeler and Ellerbe disaster.

I hope they play the best players and salary doesn't play into it. If Baker looks better in preseason then he should start. Would be great if the light finally went on for Anthony as well.

Until they're ready to use Jerome Baker full time, the most logical choice for a third LB in Base packages is probably Stephone Anthony.

Burke didn't exactly give Anthony a ringing endorsement with his comments in there. But it would be good if Anthony could develop into something. The guy was fast as hell and hit like a missile at Clemson. He just hasn't displayed the instincts at all. False steps galore with him.

As much as I struggled with KA last year, a unit of 2 "rookies" and a guy starting his 2nd year in the system doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Still think KA is one of the 3.

I think he was looking more so towards this being the 2019 lineup, why the life after Kiko and mentioning of cutting him next year. granted SA will be a FA at the end of the season, so if he shows good this year you never know what his price range would be. if baker steals some snaps and looks good and SA looks good, then im sure SA could be had with the money we'd save by cutting KA. I'm still pulling for SA since he's from my neck of the woods. but if this was the 2019 starting LB, then the experience wouldn't be as big of a deal

Back
Top Bottom