Dolphins to move Robert Hunt to Right Guard | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins to move Robert Hunt to Right Guard

RG is where he belonged all the time, and I said so the moment he was drafted. Big strong mauling run blocker with size and length to pass protect some but best in a phone booth and driving against power.

Solomon Kindley is another best suited for RG, so that should be a good competition and give us coverage there. Now that we have Eichenberg to play RT and complement Austin Jackson at LT, with Jesse Davis to back up both and cover LG, our OL finally has some depth. IMHO, our LG spot is still wide open, and while I love Solomon Kindley ... he's not nimble enough to play LG long term. I've also never been a DJ Fluker fan, but he's more depth.

If Eichenberg struggles or is injured... Either Fluker or Davis would be a replacement level RT. Neither is stellar, but they'd be ok. I'm guessing that Davis would get first shot, as I think Fluker is better inside (like Hunt, and for the same reasons).

RG is where he belonged all the time, and I said so the moment he was drafted. Big strong mauling run blocker with size and length to pass protect some but best in a phone booth and driving against power.

Solomon Kindley is another best suited for RG, so that should be a good competition and give us coverage there. Now that we have Eichenberg to play RT and complement Austin Jackson at LT, with Jesse Davis to back up both and cover LG, our OL finally has some depth. IMHO, our LG spot is still wide open, and while I love Solomon Kindley ... he's not nimble enough to play LG long term. I've also never been a DJ Fluker fan, but he's more depth.
If Kindley drops 10-15 pounds, I think he could be nimble enough to play LG long term, he'll never be quick enough to pull very often, but as a power guy with a dancing bear outside of him, I think he'll be better than many think.

Kindley Skura and Hunt are going to make Tua feel like he's in his mother's arms back there!

The ONLY problem is Kindley is much better at run blocking. But i've seen him get beat, badly, on pass protect. You can defintely get around him. I'd say he and Flowers last season were 80% responsible for most interior base pressures generated against the QB.

The ONLY problem is Kindley is much better at run blocking. But i've seen him get beat, badly, on pass protect. You can defintely get around him. I'd say he and Flowers last season were 80% responsible for most interior base pressures generated against the QB.
In his second year in the league, back at his favorite position (LG), he will evolve into a pass blocking phenomenon!

Heh! A good number of us have been calling for this since last season, but the 'oh, I don't want to draft corn brigade' were just sooo convinced that Hunt was suddenly going to develop lateral agility. "Hunt will be ok", they'd lie to themselves.
I think what most people felt, is that they didn't want to draft it at pick #6.

Years ago this would have been unheard of. Announcing lineman position moves this early. I remember when we would be deep into camp without clarity and they would be constantly mixing and matching guys.

Kind of nice being on the other end of the spectrum right now. Let the guys settle in and work their spots.

Years ago this would have been unheard of. Announcing lineman position moves this early. I remember when we would be deep into camp without clarity and they would be constantly mixing and matching guys.

Kind of nice being on the other end of the spectrum right now. Let the guys settle in and work their spots.
I don't think we announced anything. It was well reasoned speculation.

Heh! A good number of us have been calling for this since last season, but the 'oh, I don't want to draft corn brigade' were just sooo convinced that Hunt was suddenly going to develop lateral agility. "Hunt will be ok", they'd lie to themselves.
Hunt was okay at RT.

Better than okay.

The team must feel he will be a much better RG than RT.

If that turns out to be the case, I'm very much in favor of the move.

Put people where they can be their best selves.

Back
Top Bottom