Dolphins Top Ten Players in 2014? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Top Ten Players in 2014?

The one thing Wallace has is speed and in this case, speed kills... one's judgement by overlooking all of his many other deficiencies as a "WR". :chuckle:

If you were expecting him to develop into some kind of complete WR, that's on you. He was always a speedy deep threat and has had to be shoehorned into this new role through a combination of the inability to hit the deep throw and now the lack of time to even attempt it. He's certainly not one of the worst on the team.

If you were expecting him to develop into some kind of complete WR, that's on you. He was always a speedy deep threat and has had to be shoehorned into this new role through a combination of the inability to hit the deep throw and now the lack of time to even attempt it. He's certainly not one of the worst on the team.

Just because he has speed and can get deep doesn't make him a deep threat. And according to your list if giving up sacks and hurries limits our offensive production and hurts our team then so does dropping passes and TD's.

Going by this year only, and considering overall play, I came up with 11. In no particular order, I have Wake, Grimes, Albert, and Wallace (all FA signings), RT, Landry, Jenkins, Jones, OV, James, and Miller (all drafted).

I would not say that any have played Great, other than Albert, and that no one else has been above average,if that.

Opinions?

great talent does not sit on the bench remove Albert who has always been hurt, Grimes, Wake, Laundry, James, Ryan T, Sims, Miller, Oliver Veron, Jenkins, Wallace and Jones

Lamar Miller has improved this season for the first time since I saw him as a junior at Killian High. More wiggle and fight. No reason not to use him more frequently. He didn't get the bursts into open field like past years but I have confidence he'd now finish them off.

JuWaun James is really good. I still don't think that's an ideal investment at that point in the draft as opposed to a more aggressive gamble on greatness. No denying that his pass blocking skill set and instincts and desire are top notch. Likewise for Zack Martin, who the Cowboys took. He's more of an all around player. Better than I projected. James may never be more than a below average run blocker.

Charles Clay is still one of our 10 best players. Bad percentage for him in terms of years he's healthy and able to fully utilize his skills.

Reshad Jones is like so many guys on our defense. Bully types. He's fine if the line is dominating and he can make the occasional flying jarring tackle going forward. Stick him in space on coverage, or ask him to take a proper angle in run support, and he's a big liability.

hoops is correct that Grimes has fallen off. He took advantage of many of the lousy quarterbacks we faced, plus the signature play at Detroit. Otherwise he's been vulnerable often, and quite fortunate that several plays barely missed, notably the potential dagger by the Jets when we already trailed 10-0.

By definition the quarterback is one of your top ten guys. Unless he's a consensus liability, virtually every fan base would slot their guy there. The quarterback is generally the best athlete on the team in high school. The same dynamic reaches up from there. Notice in that Lake Tahoe celebrity golf challenge every summer the quarterbacks have by far the best record among NFL players. The problem with Tannehill is he's stuck in the same general vicinity. A few details change annually depending on emphasis and coordinator but it's mostly trivia. I was dreading this development. We desperately needed him to slingshot one way or another. Instead, the adjusters are still in force. At one point the Dolphins were +1.0 in Yards Per Pass Attempt Differential. That's a mid level playoff team. Now it's down to +.4, since Tannehill's YPA has stalled and the pass defense has logically fallen off after an unsustainable half season. Still, +.4 is not bad. If Tannehill were at 7.2+, we'd be a legit threat.

Wallace causes problems. It's nuts to pretend he doesn't belong on this list. The Tannehill apologists are desperate to denounce him because they want a bail out guy, someone to camouflage weaknesses. Wallace has obvious faults. His strengths are at least equal in number and this season he had greater intensity and hands.

I'm not thrilled with any of our defenders. Throw a blanket over most of them. Same types. Hard trying but not elite. Nobody has the ideal frame and skills. Guys like Wake and Grimes are smaller than ideal and already into their 30s. Does this franchise ever hit a home run? You would think there's a sympathy entity out there, wiling to hand out an occasional Hall of Fame type considering our patchwork disaster stadium.

I was dreading this development. We desperately needed him to slingshot one way or another. Instead, the adjusters are still in force.

Yeah this is on course towards the absolute worst case scenario I've been dreading too. We've already passed up on some potentially good QBs in the last draft. I can pretty much guarantee in 5-7 years we'll be looking back at more Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees passed on because somebody thought we might have had something with Tannehill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because he has speed and can get deep doesn't make him a deep threat. And according to your list if giving up sacks and hurries limits our offensive production and hurts our team then so does dropping passes and TD's.

Not a deep threat? Was it something in the Miami water that took that away? Because it was most certainly there prior.

Tannehill, Grimes, Jones, And Landry. Honorable mentions: Wake, Wallace, Miller, Finnegan.

*Vernon, Misi.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can list them in any order and reach deep into the roster for the list. That's the problem. Roster is loaded with a bunch of mediocres. Like another poster said we have nobody elite on this team.

You can list them in any order and reach deep into the roster for the list. That's the problem. Roster is loaded with a bunch of mediocres. Like another poster said we have nobody elite on this team.

We have a number of good players on this team, as well as some good young developing talent. We do not have any "Stars" and a case could be made that the last one was JT, along with Wake for a few years. Who else has there been since JT?

Wake is trending down, Father Time has caught up with him. Dude just dissapears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a number of good players on this team, as well as some good young developing talent. We do not have any "Stars" and a case could be made that the last one was JT, along with Wake for a few years. Who else has there been since JT?

The hope was Jordan would be one, that's why we traded up for him, but unfortunately not looking that way.

Wake is trending down, Father Time has caught up with him. Dude just dissapears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Cam Wake as a player. He is all you could ask for in one, had a great year until the last few weeks and is in GREAT shape. However, he will be 33 next month. I believe he has another VG year left, and will play well today. Not sure if it is in the best interest of the this team to keep him for next year.

The hope was Jordan would be one, that's why we traded up for him, but unfortunately not looking that way.

I've not yet given up hope. He may yet go to LB and be what we thought we were getting. With all our injuries at LB, it will be interesting to see if Coyle uses him there today, and let's him cover Gronk.

Yeah this is on course towards the absolute worst case scenario I've been dreading too. We've already passed up on some potentially good QBs in the last draft. I can pretty much guarantee in 5-7 years we'll be looking back at more Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees passed on because somebody thought we might have had something with Tannehill.
Can you specify which one you`re talking about?

Back
Top Bottom