Dolphins trade 3rd pick | Page 43 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins trade 3rd pick

I get not liking the move up from 12 to 6 on the surface. But it apparently became necessary to accomplish the overall goal, since trading to 6, 7, or 8 directly either wasn’t possible or wouldn’t have netted the same return.

Or, possibly, MIA feared trading down lower than 6. Who knows.

I know this, though. Many of those criticizing the trade would have also bitched, whined and complained had MIA held firm at 3 (refusing to accept the offer SF made) then selected Smith, Chase, Waddle or Pitts there.

All we’d have heard was, “they could have traded down and still got that player. What an over pay! Terrible value!”

It must be exhausting having all the answers and knowing what to do and not do all the time. Always making decisions out of hindsight and citing history as if it translates to the here and now. Must be a nice world to live in! Hahahan
Exactly. Miami came out of the two trades with more picks.

You are absolutely right about what fans reactions would have been if the Dolphins didn't trade #3.

Now, it's time to make those draft picks matter. Time to put Miami in a position to compete for championships.

So if the 49ers turn over the keys to whoever they draft at QB, their growing pains improve our pick...,
They said Jimmy G was still their guy THIS YEAR. That doesn't mean he won't get injured week 2. Their secondary also needs some work and as mentioned before losing Saleh could hurt. Still, I think it will be a mid round pick maybe lower.

Exactly. Miami came out of the two trades with more picks.

You are absolutely right about what fans reactions would have been if the Dolphins didn't trade #3.

Now, it's time to make those draft picks matter. Time to put Miami in a position to compete for championships.
Agree with you and Ejay. We are picking the same guy as we always were. And now we get a free 1st.

Just looking at this year, we have 2 first, 2 second and 2 thirds. If we don't whiff on the picks, we could have a dynasty.

Can anyone look up drafting history, has any team had so many picks in first three rounds?
We only have one third, the SF 3rd rounder is in 2022

These two trades tell me two things. Flo is happy with either Waddle or Pitts. And he knows one of the two will be at 6.

Second, Flo doesn't think Sewell worth a 3.

Sorry all Sewell fan boys.

It’s kind of weird having hope in a front office after these decades of clown shoe management.

We never saw much intelligence out of our FO. The Philbin and Gase era's are low points of this franchise. In my book neither of those guys should ever have had a Head Coach job in the NFL. We're lucky Flo came along and suddenly we're smarter and we know what we're doing. Coach Flo is the difference in how this team does business and it would seem that some good days are ahead of the Miami Dolphins and their fans. Let's hope for some good racing luck re injuries this year.

My thoughts:

- I like the combined trade better than staying at 3 and picking. We MIGHT end up with the same player at lower salary and a 3rd next yr and 1st in 2023. If we don't we'll still end up with the same tier of player.

-Like some, I like the first trade better than the second.

- FWIW I like the combined result less than most of the mock drafts, and media articles, and posts that had us trading down. I suspected we wouldn't get those hauls, and it seems Grier and co. (Flo and co.?) agreed. But maybe if we waited better offers would have materialized. Anyway, bird in the hand...

- So many moving parts/unknowns that we'll see in hindsight affecting this. Who goes in the first 5 picks. Who would have been left if we stayed at 12. What our record will be vs SF in 2022, and what SF's will be in 2023. If we trade down again. Or trade up from 18.

- Eagles sitting pretty with (probably) 3 firsts in 2022 and still #12 this year (Smith, Waddle, or Parsons may well be there for them)

The 49er’s will likely be one of the best teams in the league next year because they will be getting back their best players who were injured last season.
With the Eagles getting the Dolphins first round pick in 2022, the Dolphins will likely be picking from 26-32 in the first round of the 2022 draft With the 49ers pick.
I doubt that.

The reason the 49ers trade was bad in my opinion is because they should have gotten the 49ers 2nd round pick this year as well. They moved up 9 spots without having to give up their 2nd round pick. That makes it a bad trade for Miami.

You know there is actually math behind why your take is hilariously wrong now, right?

If we were targeting an edge like Jaelan Phillips to fill the voids created by moving on from Kyle Van Noy and Shaq Lawson, then Phillips is almost certainly going to be there, but might be gone by 12.
If the Dolphins gave up a 1st round pick to move back up from 12 to 6 just to draft Phillips, then Grier should be fired, Ross should be charged with treason, and the franchise should be moved to St. Louis and subsequently relegated to the XFL.

If the Dolphins gave up a 1st round pick to move back up from 12 to 6 just to draft Phillips, then Grier should be fired, Ross should be charged with treason, and the franchise should be moved to St. Louis and subsequently relegated to the XFL.
Maybe, but let's not forget the rare athlete that Jaelan Phillips is. There's a reason he was the #1 recruit in the nation when he came out ... he's big, strong, fast, quick, and has elite pass rushing ability along with enough functional strength and tackling ability to be a good edge setter. He got injured, and his concussion had him re-think football and he 'retired' from football in college. Then he reconsidered, transferred to Miami and was instantly great again. Had he played the entire time and not quit football, we're talking about him in the top 3, because he would be the best edge prospect in this draft. The projections that he falls to 6, 12, 18, or even into round 2 are purely on the fact that there are concerns about him, medical concerns and commitment concerns.

Not sure how Grier & Co. feel about that, but they did just take a chance on Isaiah Wilson, so they're not afraid to bet on talent with concerns. They also drafted Austin Jackson--youngest OL prospect in his draft and former top OL out of high school who was a bone-marrow donor. They also drafted Igbinoghene, and he was a young raw athlete recently converted to CB, and Robert Hunt who was a small school prospect, so they've got a proven track record of betting on great athletic talent even when there are concerns. They claim they want players who eat, sleep, and breathe football ... so commitment seems like a big deal, but I can definitely see them betting on the athletic gifts of a super-edge who has the versatility to be a hybrid DE/OLB or take an Ogbah type role. That kind of talent is hard to find, and we definitely need an edge player.

Maybe, but let's not forget the rare athlete that Jaelan Phillips is. There's a reason he was the #1 recruit in the nation when he came out ... he's big, strong, fast, quick, and has elite pass rushing ability along with enough functional strength and tackling ability to be a good edge setter. He got injured, and his concussion had him re-think football and he 'retired' from football in college. Then he reconsidered, transferred to Miami and was instantly great again. Had he played the entire time and not quit football, we're talking about him in the top 3, because he would be the best edge prospect in this draft. The projections that he falls to 6, 12, 18, or even into round 2 are purely on the fact that there are concerns about him, medical concerns and commitment concerns.

Not sure how Grier & Co. feel about that, but they did just take a chance on Isaiah Wilson, so they're not afraid to bet on talent with concerns. They also drafted Austin Jackson--youngest OL prospect in his draft and former top OL out of high school who was a bone-marrow donor. They also drafted Igbinoghene, and he was a young raw athlete recently converted to CB, and Robert Hunt who was a small school prospect, so they've got a proven track record of betting on great athletic talent even when there are concerns. They claim they want players who eat, sleep, and breathe football ... so commitment seems like a big deal, but I can definitely see them betting on the athletic gifts of a super-edge who has the versatility to be a hybrid DE/OLB or take an Ogbah type role. That kind of talent is hard to find, and we definitely need an edge player.
Yes, kinda to this. I think Phillips is the best edge in the draft. Was the best DE coming out of HS. Was really good when fully healthy at UCLA. ( Double teams, had holes around him). Has enormous potential. But also what the other guy said - he'll be available at 12. And 18 probably, and will still be a big injury risk.

Back
Top Bottom