Dolphins trade 3rd pick | Page 44 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins trade 3rd pick

Yes, kinda to this. I think Phillips is the best edge in the draft. Was the best DE coming out of HS. Was really good when fully healthy at UCLA. ( Double teams, had holes around him). Has enormous potential. But also what the other guy said - he'll be available at 12. And 18 probably, and will still be a big injury risk.
I agree, Phillips is the best edge prospect in this draft. Where he gets drafted is a mystery, and I'm sure there are wildly differing grades on him. But teams drafting in the top half of round 1 are almost always betting on elite traits and rare talents ... and Phillips fits the bill. Sometimes they pan out and you get the next Reggie White, sometimes they don't and you get the next Aundray Bruce. Regardless, Andrew Van Ginkel can only man one of our 2 empty edge spots ... and we'll still need another edge starter as well as someone to fill AVG's 3rd edge role. This draft does not have any sure-fire edge prospects, so whomever we draft--and we NEED to draft at least 1--will be a gamble. Phillips has a ton of talent and the versatility to play the hybrid role. At his weight he could be a DE/OLB in the mold of how we're using Ogbah currently.

Teams are always desperate for pass rushers ... so where these gambles go is anyone's guess. In a year of social distancing and no combine, expect a lot of surprises in the draft, as scouting reports will vary wildly between teams. Where an elite edge rusher goes is anyone's guess, but it will be exceedingly unusual if the best edge prospect lasts until pick #18.

Agree with you and Ejay. We are picking the same guy as we always were. And now we get a free 1st.
I'm seeing that rationalization all over the place...we would have picked the same guy at 3 as 6

100% irrelevant. I hope Chris Grier didn't get suckered by the same thought process but I'm afraid he did.

These are two entirely different issues...receiving adequate value for the move, and then what you do with the move. We totally butchered the first part of the equation. There is no chance that moving down from 3 to 6 is only worth a 2022 third round pick and a 2023 first rounder. This isn't the 2013 draft where nobody was stupid enough to move up. Well, almost nobody. Grier should have totally ignored his perspective on the top of the draft and instead assumed the mindset of all of the other teams. We were sitting smack in the middle of the franchise quarterback desperation zone. Somehow he brainstormed to trade all the way out, with nothing to show for it except deferred payments. That should not be possible.

Mac Jones averaged 11.2 YPA. As I've emphasized in recent years, that 11 YPA range is now the flashing light for college quarterbacks in terms of vaulting up the draft boards. Zach Wilson also averaged 11 YPA. Even if you don't have Mac Jones rated that high, someone else will. There is also the intriguing athlete Trey Lance, and Justin Fields who is a wild card and could slip but he's always been rated high.

With three quarterback variables working for you, along with the remote possibility that the Jets would pass on Zach Wilson, it was nonsensical to bow out instead of allowing competing thought process to boost your #3 pick to value beyond conventional wisdom or any book value. It is hilarious when posters summon book value when quarterbacks are in play.

Grier can get bailed out if the 49ers suck. It's the same as a bumbling detective who does everything wrong but is rescued by DNA.

I'm seeing that rationalization all over the place...we would have picked the same guy at 3 as 6

100% irrelevant. I hope Chris Grier didn't get suckered by the same thought process but I'm afraid he did.

These are two entirely different issues...receiving adequate value for the move, and then what you do with the move. We totally butchered the first part of the equation. There is no chance that moving down from 3 to 6 is only worth a 2022 third round pick and a 2023 first rounder. This isn't the 2013 draft where nobody was stupid enough to move up. Well, almost nobody. Grier should have totally ignored his perspective on the top of the draft and instead assumed the mindset of all of the other teams. We were sitting smack in the middle of the franchise quarterback desperation zone. Somehow he brainstormed to trade all the way out, with nothing to show for it except deferred payments. That should not be possible.

Mac Jones averaged 11.2 YPA. As I've emphasized in recent years, that 11 YPA range is now the flashing light for college quarterbacks in terms of vaulting up the draft boards. Zach Wilson also averaged 11 YPA. Even if you don't have Mac Jones rated that high, someone else will. There is also the intriguing athlete Trey Lance, and Justin Fields who is a wild card and could slip but he's always been rated high.

With three quarterback variables working for you, along with the remote possibility that the Jets would pass on Zach Wilson, it was nonsensical to bow out instead of allowing competing thought process to boost your #3 pick to value beyond conventional wisdom or any book value. It is hilarious when posters summon book value when quarterbacks are in play.

Grier can get bailed out if the 49ers suck. It's the same as a bumbling detective who does everything wrong but is rescued by DNA.
3 to 12, we got a great deal.
12 to 6, we got a fair deal.

You can't have great deal every time. You want to rob other teams everytime, aint happening.

Who knew that Tunsil getting caught with the bong mask and sliding down in the draft would be the best thing for the Dolphins. Basically turned Tunsil into 4 first-round picks.

Grier didn't have many places to move to in order to ensure he got his guy. #6 might have been his only spot because if the Eagles remained at 6, they might have taken who we wanted. As I responded to another guy, this is better than taking a guy at 3 that shouldn't go at 3. Then you would have said " why didn't he trade down. This guy would have been there later". Can't have it both ways.

You dont understand how trade value for draft picks works. Its ok, just own that and move on.

If the Dolphins gave up a 1st round pick to move back up from 12 to 6 just to draft Phillips, then Grier should be fired, Ross should be charged with treason, and the franchise should be moved to St. Louis and subsequently relegated to the XFL.
This is why they have the jobs and you don't.

Grier had to move before the Jests did, on an over publicized trade down, where everybody knew we were not interested in a QB. While I like the first trade with SF, the second was a move that smells like desperation. Philly got the better on that one but that means nothing if we get what we wanted ( we may never know that for sure). Just the fact that we were able to shake down SF is yet another good trade. I also look at Carolina and Denver as possible trade up for QB, making for more potential picks. IMO trumping the Jests was the play here.

The dude who got clobbered by the Pats?
Yeah, that dude. The same dude who clobbered the Chiefs and put up numbers on the Broncos while on the field...not sitting the bench.

If you think it’s smart to give up a first round pick to draft a guy at 6 who is going to be available at 12 and very likely will also be available at 18, then there’s no hope for you.
Just curious who it is that we are picking at 6 that would be there for sure at 12 and likely at pick 18 as well? Who is it that Miami is picking?

We are talking about Jaelen Phillips.
Oh okay! Yeah, I agree if he is the pick then it’s very likely he’s there at 12 at least. If we traded a first to move up to 6 to pick him I would be extremely disappointed. The potential is massive there, but in my opinion the risk is just as massive and that will cause him to go later than his talent shows. Thanks for clarifying that for me!

Back
Top Bottom