Dolphins trade deadline plans shifted dramatically | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins trade deadline plans shifted dramatically

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
Had the course of this Miami Dolphins season not turned two weeks ago, today’s NFL trade deadline might be different.

Had things not changed ...

Mario Williams would have been trade bait.

Byron Maxwell would have been trade bait.

Andre Branch might have been trade bait.

Possibly Cameron Wake.

The Dolphins would have been trying to sell. I was told to not be surprised by anything that was about to happen.

But something happened on the way to the fire sale: The Dolphins not only started winning -- they beat Pittsburgh and Buffalo back to back -- but they seemed to find their identity in the process. They seemed to unearth a formula that might actually have some sustainability the remainder of the season, barring significant injuries.

And so now it is hard to think of the Dolphins as sellers. It’s much more logical to consider them buyers.

That’s because this team, hot as it may be despite the cooling off period of the just-completed bye week, could still use a talent influx. This team still could use significant help in significant areas.

And this is where I tell you cornerback needs help. Still.

The Dolphins don’t necessarily feel that way. They are confident Chris Culliver will add team drills to his practice regimen this week, perhaps as early as today, and he will be ready to play either against the Jets on Sunday or at San Diego the following Sunday, barring a setback.

They will tell you they expect rookie second-round pick Xavien Howard back eventually. (Yeah, they may say that but eventually looks to be the middle of November).

The Dolphins will also tell you Byron Maxwell has improved his game. Fine. Great. So he’s better now. That doesn’t mean he’s, you know, good yet.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article111744192.html

I really hope we sling somebody for a 3rd or 4th next yr. and try to recop those middle picks we gave up...I really think we can get by through some subtractions in certain places.

If true, just more evidence our front office is terrible at planning. We would have to give up draft picks to get somebody to take Maxwell or Williams off our hands.

This team still needs a lot of help. Consistent EDGE pressure. Stronger interior DT run defense. CBs that don't blow their assignments. Sure-tackling LBs. Non-concussed TEs.

Haven't turned the corner yet. Still a lot of time left in the season before becoming relevant.

You should always keep an eye on the long term plan. Two weeks doesn't/shouldn't change that unless your ownership/management has a terrible case of ADHD.

I really hope we sling somebody for a 3rd or 4th next yr. and try to recop those middle picks we gave up...I really think we can get by through some subtractions in certain places.

We'll recoup them by trading down in the 1st most likely. Jeff Ireland school of thought that got us Jared Odrick instead of Earl Thomas or Demaryius Thomas (two guys I really wanted). Chris Grier was Ireland's guy after all.

speaking of earl Thomas anybody else notice that hes not the same tackler since he had that shoulder surgery a couple years ago? hes missing a bunch of space tackles falling off like twigs

You should always keep an eye on the long term plan. Two weeks doesn't/shouldn't change that unless your ownership/management has a terrible case of ADHD.

My sources tell me that Tannenbaum read this very quote and exclaimed "You mean I shouldn't keep an eye on the long term plan? That's perfect!"

Who on earth would trade for Maxwell or Williams

Besides Tbaum.. obviously

Who on earth would trade for Maxwell or Williams

Besides Tbaum.. obviously

Cowboys seem to be looking at everyone, but that's all I can think as even a maybe...could make sense for both sides.

I don't want to see us give us any more picks then we already have. Happy to stand put.

We should see compensatory picks for Miller, Vernon and possibly Matthews

Back
Top Bottom