" Dolphins’ up-tempo offense leave tight end Anthony Fasano down and out?" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

" Dolphins’ up-tempo offense leave tight end Anthony Fasano down and out?"

NYPhin24

Scout Team
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...dolphins-up-tempo-offense-leave-tight-/nPdNM/
The 6-foot-4, 255-pounder who is entering his seventh NFL season was a good fit for coach Tony Sparano’s run-oriented offense. But with Joe Philbin bringing in an up-tempo West Coast attack that puts an emphasis on speed and quickness off the line of scrimmage, Fasano could prove to be a square peg in a round hole.

General Manager Jeff Ireland hedged his bets in April’s NFL Draft when he used a third-round pick on Missouri tight end Michael Egnew, who routinely lined up as an outside receiver for the Tigers. Also in the mix is second-year man Charles Clay, who caught 16 passes last year and was prominent in the passing game during off-season drills.

Fasano knows he’s widely perceived as a blocker first and receiver second. Asked if that’s unfair and could change, he said, “I don’t play to create a certain label in the public’s eye, but it could. I’m working to be proficient in whatever they ask me to do. If they ask me to catch more passes, I’ll do that, and if I’m called upon in the running game I’ll continue to do that.”

Philbin said he and his coaching staff haven’t gotten that far in their planning but he was impressed with what he saw of Fasano on film from last year.
“He caught the ball well and found a way to get open. I don’t know what his (40-yard dash) time is, but he found a way to find seams in the coverage and he has some instincts as a route runner.

“He has very good hands; we like the way he catches the football and finds a way to get open. (And) he can block on the line of scrimmage. He’s going to be a good player and I’m looking forward to watching his development.”
When it comes to run-blocking, Fasano, 28, said he feels the zone-blocking scheme being installed will work better than the man-to-man principles used under Sparano.

Fasano can block. He may become third option behind Egnew and Clay as far as pass catching but we still need someone to do the dirty work on goal line and 3rd and short.

Don't see him at 4 million a year being part of this team
after this season

Not at 4mil, but he is a very solid 2nd TE.

You need at least one solid blocking TE on the roster, even in this up-tempo offense.

Fasano is extremely versatile. He's got super sure hands, he blocks INCREDIBLY well, and he's a technician at seem routes and stop routes. I'm a huge Anthony Fasano fan. Miami will keep him around simply because when he lines up, you aren't automatically tipped off if its a pass or a run

ha ha fasano a "technician" at seam routes...what the heck are you talking about...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthony Fasano a lot better down the seam and up the deep middle than people think. Chad Henne was practically allergic to the deep middle and the seam pass, especially to the tight end. Matt Moore did it better. Chad Pennington did it the best. This offense isn't going to let any quarterback be allergic to the seam or the deep middle. It's too important.

The fact of the matter is, over the same time period 2008 to 2011, Jermichael Finley and Anthony Fasano produced the same over the deep middle. That's just a matter of fact.

They drafted Michael Egnew because Joe Philbin is a hoarder when it comes to tight ends. He kept FIVE on the roster last year. He had Jermichael Finley, Tom Crabtree, Andrew Quarless, D.J. Williams and then Ryan Taylor the UDFA came on like a freight train in training camp and preseason, so they kept five. That's unbelievable. But it's that important to this offense. Jim Harbaugh always collected an ass load of tight end talent at Stanford, too. Similar offense.

And you know what, if I don't miss my guess, they're not done at that position. Last I checked they've got three guys. Jeron Mastrud and Les Brown may or may not amount to anything even on a camp fodder basis.

Incidentally there's nothing about the "up tempo" nature of the offense that would minimize Anthony Fasano's role in it. That's like a headline saying, "Obama health care plan allows extraterritorial torture to continue."

It's not like Fasano is irreplaceable.....he has his moments,,,some of them good and some of them not.....but I think Egnew is an upgrade.

It's not like Fasano is irreplaceable.....he has his moments,,,some of them good and some of them not.....but I think Egnew is an upgrade.

Based on what? He's never played a snap in the NFL. He's an unproven 3rd round TE.

John Kuhn made the NFL top 100 in greenbay. Call him a fullback or whatever. Fasano will be playing in the same role. i dont care what the position name is. i expect fasano to be a better version or kuhn.

to agree with hoops, we do not have a jermichael finley on this team. clay egnew and whoever else will be fine guys running routes against linebackers down the seam, but not finley status.

the ultimate checkdown in greenbay was the 250 pound full back who gets you TDs, goal line stands, and 1st downs. that's fasano. i even expect to see him carry the rock on an occassion. he's an extra offensive lineman to boot. worth every penny of his contract and then some. but not as jermichael finley, he's a john kuhn

Clay and Egnew and Les Brown will be competing for a different role imo.

fasano needs to be in line send him out on some underneath stuff every once in a while or yeah down the seam when the opposition doesn't expect it once in a while but don't ever expect to make a living down the seam with fasano...thats why you got clay and egnew now anyways...let egnew use that straight line speed and height threaten the deep middle of the field...

if anybodys close to jermichael finley like player on this roster we are gonna have one hell of a te...a guy who kills one on one matchups when split/flexed out and MUST at all times be accounted for...i doubt its here

Michael Egnew can do what Jermichael Finley does in the passing game. The only differences I see are Finley being slightly better after the catch, and some tempo improvement that just has to come from Egnew because of the different level of competition. The tempo improvement could in the short run come with a downgrade in the hands department, but long run should be fine. He is just a rookie and rookies should be given a little time. Hell even Gronk didn't come out of the gates clicking on all cylinders.

Joe Philbin recently brought up that when he took a look at previous years tape he saw things from Anthony Fasano down the seam and deep middle that he didn't think he was going to see. I think he had the same view of it from the outside that a lot of people have. But I think if you look close, that's where you realize there's more there than people thought, and that Anthony has been seriously injured by the bad QBs throwing him the football.

Michael Egnew can do what Jermichael Finley does in the passing game. The only differences I see are Finley being slightly better after the catch, and some tempo improvement that just has to come from Egnew because of the different level of competition. The tempo improvement could in the short run come with a downgrade in the hands department, but long run should be fine. He is just a rookie and rookies should be given a little time. Hell even Gronk didn't come out of the gates clicking on all cylinders.

Joe Philbin recently brought up that when he took a look at previous years tape he saw things from Anthony Fasano down the seam and deep middle that he didn't think he was going to see. I think he had the same view of it from the outside that a lot of people have. But I think if you look close, that's where you realize there's more there than people thought, and that Anthony has been seriously injured by the bad QBs throwing him the football.

I think you're right that as a receiver he's been vastly underrated, but you're point only proves what hooshoops is saying, if the concensus is, by all accounts including philbin from an outside perspective, that fasano isn't that much of a threat down the seem, then he's not getting the attention from defenses that a Jermichael Finley is, and therefore is making a lot of the plays he has in the past because of those open opportunities.

but this just lends to an endless loop. he's good, but only because he's not getting attention, once he gets attention its because he's good, but then he wont be good anymore because defenses shut him down. so hes not good?....this can go on forever

hooshoops, always spittin nonsense.

CK has some serious credentials analyzing things. And i truely feel you can sort out the people who go from draft day to preseason game 1 without following the team daily vs those who follow the team daily. Egnew is a project and a young player and he is no where near pushing fasano or clay yet. so those saying hes an instant "upgrade" have just simply not been following this team as closely.

A Fasano is set to have his biggest season yet in the NFL as far as catches and TDs is concerned. He gets open and catches every single ball that is thrown close to him. He has as many TDs as B Marshall had while they were both Dolphins but on a lot less opportunities. He has every few drops (zero last season) in his career and is money in the redzone. The main reasons that Fasano has caught so few footballs is that so few were thrown to him. If you look at a breakdowns of his snaps you will see that he pass blocked most of the time. Which makes it hard to catch passes if you do not go out for one. Fasano's YPC is always been high, 14.1 yards last year which was almost as good as Gronk's. You would not think that his YPC would be so high since he is not considered as a "pass catching TE".

I expect him to have 56 catches for 642 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Back
Top Bottom