" Dolphins’ up-tempo offense leave tight end Anthony Fasano down and out?" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

" Dolphins’ up-tempo offense leave tight end Anthony Fasano down and out?"

Anthony Fasano a lot better down the seam and up the deep middle than people think. Chad Henne was practically allergic to the deep middle and the seam pass, especially to the tight end. Matt Moore did it better. Chad Pennington did it the best. This offense isn't going to let any quarterback be allergic to the seam or the deep middle. It's too important.The fact of the matter is, over the same time period 2008 to 2011, Jermichael Finley and Anthony Fasano produced the same over the deep middle. That's just a matter of fact.They drafted Michael Egnew because Joe Philbin is a hoarder when it comes to tight ends. He kept FIVE on the roster last year. He had Jermichael Finley, Tom Crabtree, Andrew Quarless, D.J. Williams and then Ryan Taylor the UDFA came on like a freight train in training camp and preseason, so they kept five. That's unbelievable. But it's that important to this offense. Jim Harbaugh always collected an ass load of tight end talent at Stanford, too. Similar offense.And you know what, if I don't miss my guess, they're not done at that position. Last I checked they've got three guys. Jeron Mastrud and Les Brown may or may not amount to anything even on a camp fodder basis.Incidentally there's nothing about the "up tempo" nature of the offense that would minimize Anthony Fasano's role in it. That's like a headline saying, "Obama health care plan allows extraterritorial torture to continue."
That is an amazing analogy.

Anthony Fasano a lot better down the seam and up the deep middle than people think. Chad Henne was practically allergic to the deep middle and the seam pass, especially to the tight end. Matt Moore did it better. Chad Pennington did it the best. This offense isn't going to let any quarterback be allergic to the seam or the deep middle. It's too important.

Incidentally there's nothing about the "up tempo" nature of the offense that would minimize Anthony Fasano's role in it. ."

Gotta love the media.. They will make up stories out of their A$$ just to get some attention. They were also 100% that Manning was coming to Miami.

IMO, Fasano will have his best year in this offense..

I think you're right that as a receiver he's been vastly underrated, but you're point only proves what hooshoops is saying, if the concensus is, by all accounts including philbin from an outside perspective, that fasano isn't that much of a threat down the seem, then he's not getting the attention from defenses that a Jermichael Finley is, and therefore is making a lot of the plays he has in the past because of those open opportunities.

but this just lends to an endless loop. he's good, but only because he's not getting attention, once he gets attention its because he's good, but then he wont be good anymore because defenses shut him down. so hes not good?....this can go on forever

The difference is, I never said that teams paid as much attention to Fasano down the deep middle as they do Finley.

Here's a video from 2011 illustrating why I think Anthony Fasano's footprint on the deep middle passing game should actually INCREASE in 2011...rather than decrease, as put forward by Brian Biggane.

[video=youtube;NaSwzX9YMWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSwzX9YMWg[/video]

Stats are fine, but all you have to do is watch the actual games, both live and on TV, to see that Fasano doesn't have the burst that you really want for a pass catching TE. It's that simple, and yes Occam's Razor would apply. I like Fasano quite a bit, but the game film tells the story, not stats. If we didn't need a seam busting TE do you really think that we would have spent a 3rd rd pick on Egnew with so many other good players still available? I think not.

You're right, the film does tell the story and the film shows Anthony Fasano creating separation against All Pro and Pro Bowl linebackers, guys the ran their 40 yard dash in the high 4.4's or low 4.5's, as well a nifty bit of separation via route running (head/shoulder fake) created in single coverage against a three time Pro Bowl corner. Proving once again that Occam's Razor is the most cheaply used floozie amongst argumentative tools.

You're right, the film does tell the story and the film shows Anthony Fasano creating separation against All Pro and Pro Bowl linebackers, guys the ran their 40 yard dash in the high 4.4's or low 4.5's, as well a nifty bit of separation via route running (head/shoulder fake) created in single coverage against a three time Pro Bowl corner. Proving once again that Occam's Razor is the most cheaply used floozie amongst argumentative tools.

Perhaps you would be well served by going to Miami and watching a game or two live. Fasano isn't exactly a prime target that you would count on for clutch 3rd and long situations or big plays in crunch time. Stats lie. Your argument, logic and stats are the triumverate of cheap floozie hood- Occam's Razor, as usual, and actually watching the games tells the real story. We've been clamoring for a pass catching TE threat for years down here, and that hasn't changed one iota due to some half reared stats that don't nearly tell the whole story.

BTW interesting video- did you choose to skip the catches that were actually in crunch time with the game in the balance? Because I saw only one of those, against the Redskins. The catches against the Patriots and Panthers were pretty much garbage time, neither here nor there. You could make a case for the Pats catch, but down by 14 with 8 minutes left against New England is what it is.

The garbage time being in the 2nd quarter down by a touchdown? The fact that you're telling him he should watch games live blows my mind because good lord. All you're saying is that he isn't the guy you go to on 3rd down. That's absolutely ridiculous, because you have nothing but a tremendously small sample size. If we're using Occam's Razor let's go full blow here... you're trying to tell me there is such a thing as clutch when in reality, we have absolutely no data to back it up. You're going off your gut and "what you see", while Im watching the exact same game in person that you are and I see something entirely different. I guess things really are as simple as they seem... you don't know what you're looking for.

Anthony Fasano could put up the same stats as Finley and he still won't be as good playing off the line as Finley....just like if you put Finley on the line and made him play like a real TE he would get rag dolled all game.

SO my point is ... they will send Fasano out more and give him a chance to make more plays then he ever has had.........but they are not going to ask him to be Finley and play him off the line most the game.

Clay and the rook will play the role of Finley for the most part.

Here's a video from 2011 illustrating why I think Anthony Fasano's footprint on the deep middle passing game should actually INCREASE in 2011...rather than decrease, as put forward by Brian Biggane.

[video=youtube;NaSwzX9YMWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSwzX9YMWg[/video]

It seriously sickens me how under-appreciated the man is. The naive bag on him because he's not putting up elite TE stats, but fail to realize it's about "opportunities". Fasano doesn't get them like a Jeramichael Finley does. That is because our pass protection has been so weak. Regardless, Fasano is almost like a 6th lineman out there, making him a valuable commodity. The video clearly shows the man is capable of finding soft spots in the defense. He makes tough catches as well.

I personally cannot wait to see what the new offense will bring as far as opportunities. Hopefully it will be like the days when Fasano was teamed up with Martin. We just need Clay and/or Egnew to step up as well.

Quit making Sense CK. :hclap:

hooshoops, always spittin nonsense.

CK has some serious credentials analyzing things. And i truely feel you can sort out the people who go from draft day to preseason game 1 without following the team daily vs those who follow the team daily. Egnew is a project and a young player and he is no where near pushing fasano or clay yet. so those saying hes an instant "upgrade" have just simply not been following this team as closely.

ehhh...you're not even worth it...

Dude- I watch the games, at the stadium and on TV. I know what I see. You and the other mindless sheep can keep praying at the altar of stats. Fasano is not a major option in crunch time and he's a decent but by no means great receiving threat at TE, it's just that simple. I've watched some of you people mindlessly get swayed by stats over the years when what you should really be doing is analyzing the actual football being played and coming to your own conclusions. "Good Lord" indeed. It would be nice to see an actual brain or two post on this website, it's getting depressing.

Oh really? Dunno what games you're watching. In 2010 alone, 74% of his catches were for 1st downs. Man, he's not clutch or doesn't make big catches at all.
7d1lP-1.gif

Attachments

• 7d1lP.gif
    7d1lP.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 2
are you really nuts enough to say stuff like if fasano got the same amount of opportunities as finley due to better protection up front that he would have the same kind of impact and require the same attention as freakin jermichael finley...i mean pump the damn brakes...

that's just ignorance...ignorance about what fasano is and how much of a pain in the ass and focus jermichael finley is in that green bay offense...hell the season before last aaron rodgers and the pack even admitted they built the o around finley...everything ran off of him...there has never been one drive one game one anything where fasano has been the focal point offense or defense...

this finley fasano stuff reeks of blatant homerism/ignorance or a combo of the two...

furthermore these 2 aren't even used the same way...have different strengths etc...you're not flexing out fasano in the tight red zone for a back shoulder or jump ball against a safety...i don't think i've ever seen the opposition double team fasano like i have with finley...finley destroys single coverage in the odd chance that the defense gets caught in man up situation against him...the safeties pay way way more attention to jermichael finley on the field than they ever have and ever will anthony fasano...

are you really nuts enough to say stuff like if fasano got the same amount of opportunities as finley due to better protection up front that he would have the same kind of impact and require the same attention as freakin jermichael finley...i mean pump the damn brakes...

Nobody is saying he'll put up the exact same #'s as Finley. However, Fasano's #'s would definitely increase given more opportunities. Just look at this YPC for cryin' out loud. You won't though because your argument is lazy.

that's just ignorance...ignorance about what fasano is and how much of a pain in the ass and focus jermichael finley is in that green bay offense...hell the season before last aaron rodgers and the pack even admitted they built the o around finley...everything ran off of him...there has never been one drive one game one anything where fasano has been the focal point offense or defense...

this finley fasano stuff reeks of blatant homerism/ignorance or a combo of the two...pump the brakes

furthermore these 2 aren't even used the same way...have different strengths etc...you're not flexing out fasano in the tight red zone for a back shoulder or jump ball against a safety...i don't think i've ever seen the opposition double team fasano like i have with finley...finley destroys single coverage in the odd chance that the defense gets caught in man up situation against him...the safeties pay way way more attention to jermichael finley on the field than they ever have and ever will anthony fasano...

Again, you're carrying on with this non-existent argument of people saying Fasano is Finley. He is not. Finley you can flex out wide. However Fasano still is able to consistently find soft spots in the intermediate/long areas of the secondary as well as run great routes, making great catches, and gaining a couple steps on LB's in this league who run 4.5-4.6's. Fasano is also one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL, something Finley cannot say.

They're two entirely different athletes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom