Dolphins Update: Team trying to Lure Carroll | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Update: Team trying to Lure Carroll

There arent many candidates I have an opinion of (dont know enough about em), but I dont like the sound of Pete Carroll. I'm with the majority on this one: dont 'lure' any college coaches for HC.

I know you probably know more about this type of stuff than anyone else here (not being sarcastic), so I've got a question for you.. who do you think Carroll would bring in as his OC & DC, unless he keeps Mularkey & Capers? And do you think Mueller/Carroll or Pioli/Carroll would work?

He honestly may bring his USC staff. Lane Kiffin is Monty Kiffin's son and Pete Carroll's god-son. He is Pete's offensive coordinator at USC. Lane did his GA work at Fresno State before working for Colorado State as an Offensive Line assistant. Then, he did some defensive quality control work with the Jaguars before beginning work for Carroll at USC...first as TE coach, then as WRs coach for two years, then he got a bump up to WRs coach/Passing Coordinator, and now he's offensive coordinator as well as recruiting coordinator.

He seems rather attached to Carroll at the hip, but he also seems pretty qualified and the USC offense has been pretty good this year under Lane. To say that USC's WRs have flourished since Lane took over as WRs coach would be an understatement. He was named by scouts.com as one of the top 25 recruiters in the nation for his work as recruiting coordinator for USC...and this year USC is once again tops in the nation in recruiting ratings.

More of a question mark would be defense, because we don't know if he would bring Nick Holt with him on D. Holt is a little less impressive inasmuch as he had a head coaching stint in Idaho where he was a long-time defensive coach before first joining USC as linebackers coach...and Idaho went 5-18 under his guidance.

But, Holt coached Louisville's DL from 1998-2000 and by 2000, the Louisville D was 4th in the nation in rush defense, and the DL had set a school record for most sacks in a season with 50 (which was 2nd in the nation). Louisville appeared in 3 bowl games those three years.

Incidentally, Nick Holt's grandfather was Flash Gordon, Tarzan, and Buck Rogers.

LOL, Andy Katzenmoyer and Chris Canty.

Serious man. The best players to come out of those three drafts were Robert Edwards, Greg Spires, Damian Woody, Tebucky Jones, and Kevin Faulk. That's it. The rest were crap. Heck there wasn't even a single good player to come out of the 1997 draft.

That's really just terrible...worse than anything we've experienced here in Miami. At least when Wannstedt and Spielman were out there not picking great talent, they really didn't have a full stock of picks to work with. Grier generally had more than a full load of picks, and he still loaded the team up with crap.

BTW if Nick Holt comes over to coach the D, it should be noted that he's basically a puppet running Carroll's D the way Richard Smith was a puppet running Saban's D.

I don't beleive Carroll will leave USC because of the team he will have coming back next year and will more then likely win the National Championship if he does decide to go back to USC like I hope he does.

just to back op CK somewhat,the man had an above 500 record in 4 years as an nfl coach,at that time those franchises were not in the best position.

Pete Caroll is doing groundbreaking, cutting edge things at USC,THIS MAN HAS CORNERED THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL MARKET,he's innovative and doing things that have never been done before,his energy an philosophies has created an atmosphere were all the best players want to go,

I would definately give him a chance to show that in the NFL,BY THE WAY HE WILL BE PRESEASON NUMBER ONE NEXT YEAR. For those of you who will be boycoting,,,,,,,okay man you do that.

Hope it Pete goes else where we just got burned by a college coach why take another. Unless Bill Cowher is willing to sit out 2 years :)

Serious man. The best players to come out of those three drafts were Robert Edwards, Greg Spires, Damian Woody, Tebucky Jones, and Kevin Faulk. That's it. The rest were crap. Heck there wasn't even a single good player to come out of the 1997 draft.

That's really just terrible...worse than anything we've experienced here in Miami. At least when Wannstedt and Spielman were out there not picking great talent, they really didn't have a full stock of picks to work with. Grier generally had more than a full load of picks, and he still loaded the team up with crap.

I know. Your earlier post made me go and take a close look at those New England drafts. I had remembered them being bad, but wow, you weren't kidding. Every single one of them was beyond putrid. Out of all the "hits" you mentioned, one could still make the argument that only Edwards and Woody were upper echelon players at that, and Edwards of course blew out his knee.

Making those drafts look even more pathetic, if that is possible, are the last couple that Parcells had. In '95, they took Ty Law, Ted Johnson and Curtis Martin with their first 3 picks. The '96 draft netted them Terry Glenn, Lawyer Milloy and Tedi Bruschi with their first 3 picks. Geez, what a contrast.

I still am not terribly sold on Carroll, but you did offer some very good perspective. I think my biggest gripe with Carroll is the "total control" thing. Your Bobby Grier explanation does make me look at it in a different light, but I can't shake the feeling that Wayne Huizenga is a name grabber who just wants some flashy guy. Not to say that it for sure wouldn't work, but I guess I would be interested to see the Dolphins go in a different direction than they have been for years.

If Mr H. hires another reluctant college coach PERIOD, then I'm also through wasting my money to see this team any longer, until his dumbarse sells the team....because he apparenty didn't learn ANYTHING from the Saban situation.

btw....we sure Wayne didn't inherit his wealth? He's about a monkey.

just to back op CK somewhat,the man had an above 500 record in 4 years as an nfl coach,at that time those franchises were not in the best position.

Pete Caroll is doing groundbreaking, cutting edge things at USC,THIS MAN HAS CORNERED THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL MARKET,he's innovative and doing things that have never been done before,his energy an philosophies has created an atmosphere were all the best players want to go,

I would definately give him a chance to show that in the NFL,BY THE WAY HE WILL BE PRESEASON NUMBER ONE NEXT YEAR. For those of you who will be boycoting,,,,,,,okay man you do that.

Actually, it is hard to ask for a better situation than the one he got in New England, at least in terms of the actual team he inherited personnel-wise. Yeah, their drafts sucked after he got there, but at the time he got the job they were poised to make annual playoff runs because of the team Parcells had built.

Actually, it is hard to ask for a better situation than the one he got in New England, at least in terms of the actual team he inherited personnel-wise. Yeah, their drafts sucked after he got there, but at the time he got the job they were poised to make annual playoff runs because of the team Parcells had built.

And they did make playoff runs, in 1997 and 1998. In 1997 they went 10-6 and beat the Dolphins in the playoffs 17-3, then lost in the divisional round by score of 7-6 to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In 1998 they went 9-7 and lost in the wildcard round.

So, you say that he inherited Parcells' team that was poised for annual playoff runs, and indeed he made those annual playoff runs...but as season turned to next season, they didn't replenish their stock with new talent, they lost some of the talent that Parcells took to the Super Bowl, and that was it.

During that time, from 1997 to 1998, the Jets signed Curtis Martin to an RFA offer sheet with a poison pill clause that wasn't NEARLY as bad as the ones that have become popular most recently. Back then, poison pill clauses were double-edged swords that could hurt either team that gets the player, if the player chooses to exercise the pill. Instead of matching the contract, Bobby Grier took the 1st and 3rd round draft picks, and promptly turned them into two running backs...Robert Edwards & Chris Floyd.

In 1997, the year Carroll went 10-6 (where Parcells had gone 11-5 in 1996), Terry Glenn got hurt and only played 9 games. The next year he played 10 games. The year after that the Pats had to deal with an ancient Terry Allen at tailback to get them by because of Robert Edwards' injury.

We are still pretty much basing any desire on getting Carroll on what he is doing at USC, which we might as well base it on how well Pete is at Hopscotch, or dominoes, or painting.
Pete just wasnt that impressive, the lack of incoming talent notwithstanding in his first go around. Had he not gone to USC I seriously doubt anyone ever thinks of his name again. Instead he goes to USC and starts rocking to college world, so now hes suddenly a hot name again. BS. I wouldnt want to touch him with a 10 foot pole, let alone hand over complete control of the team. I dont want ANYONE to have Gm and HC duties, especially a guy who has built his rep in the college ranks. Thats just a disaster waiting to happen.

Come on Pete, realize how damn good you have it at USC and stay there and give us suffering Phin fans a break.

And they did make playoff runs, in 1997 and 1998. In 1997 they went 10-6 and beat the Dolphins in the playoffs 17-3, then lost in the divisional round by score of 7-6 to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In 1998 they went 9-7 and lost in the wildcard round.

So, you say that he inherited Parcells' team that was poised for annual playoff runs, and indeed he made those annual playoff runs...but as season turned to next season, they didn't replenish their stock with new talent, they lost some of the talent that Parcells took to the Super Bowl, and that was it.

During that time, from 1997 to 1998, the Jets signed Curtis Martin to an RFA offer sheet with a poison pill clause that wasn't NEARLY as bad as the ones that have become popular most recently. Back then, poison pill clauses were double-edged swords that could hurt either team that gets the player, if the player chooses to exercise the pill. Instead of matching the contract, Bobby Grier took the 1st and 3rd round draft picks, and promptly turned them into two running backs...Robert Edwards & Chris Floyd.

In 1997, the year Carroll went 10-6 (where Parcells had gone 11-5 in 1996), Terry Glenn got hurt and only played 9 games. The next year he played 10 games. The year after that the Pats had to deal with an ancient Terry Allen at tailback to get them by because of Robert Edwards' injury.

Now there is a name I had hoped to never hear again. Thanks, now I am gonna have nightmares about an even more ancient Allen gashing us in the 2001 playoff game.

We are still pretty much basing any desire on getting Carroll on what he is doing at USC, which we might as well base it on how well Pete is at Hopscotch, or dominoes, or painting.
Pete just wasnt that impressive, the lack of incoming talent notwithstanding in his first go around. Had he not gone to USC I seriously doubt anyone ever thinks of his name again. Instead he goes to USC and starts rocking to college world, so now hes suddenly a hot name again. BS. I wouldnt want to touch him with a 10 foot pole, let alone hand over complete control of the team. I dont want ANYONE to have Gm and HC duties, especially a guy who has built his rep in the college ranks. Thats just a disaster waiting to happen.

Come on Pete, realize how damn good you have it at USC and stay there and give us suffering Phin fans a break.

That's sort of like saying that if Belichick didn't retreat to Bill Parcells' defensive staff after his complete and total failures in Cleveland, we'd likely have never heard his name again.

Back
Top Bottom