Dolphins vs Patriots...based on Giants-NE game. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins vs Patriots...based on Giants-NE game.

Try actually reading my posts jasmine if yer gonna argue against me. I said the only thing that doesn't mean anything in preseason games is the final score.

BTW I meant Oliver to put a smiley at the end of that statement. :)

Bethel also looked good pushing that DB down to the ground on that 42 yard bomb. Should have been offensive pass interference. The DB was with him step for step, Bethel throws his hands back and nudges the guy and the guy falls to the ground so of course Bethel is open to catch the ball. Overall a pretty savvy move but easily could have been 15 yards or whatever the other way.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Try actually reading my posts jasmine if yer gonna argue against me. I said the only thing that doesn't mean anything in preseason games is the final score.

CK I wasn't posting to you I was posting to Oliver.

Overall a pretty savvy move but easily could have been 15 yards or whatever the other way.

Yeah, maybe. But, the move does suggest some football smarts. It's hard to tell too much at this point since (to borrow a line from Major League II) he is playing against a guy who will be bagging groceries in a few weeks.

I agree with you (CK) that preseason does matter. The final score? Who cares. But the way a team executes, and the way individual players are performing is huge.

BTW, Klecko looks pretty damn good.

BTW I meant Oliver to put a smiley at the end of that statement. :)

Bethel also looked good pushing that DB down to the ground on that 42 yard bomb. Should have been offensive pass interference. The DB was with him step for step, Bethel throws his hands back and nudges the guy and the guy falls to the ground so of course Bethel is open to catch the ball. Overall a pretty savvy move but easily could have been 15 yards or whatever the other way.

I just want to make clear CK, I understand exactly what you mean. I just do not take much stock in the actual pre-season game. The way I see things is during the regular season the players have a game plan and many more options in the types of plays and how many plays they will run. Because the lack of that during a pre-season game, and the length of time or plays starters play during a pre-season game is why I said pre-season games mean nothing. Outside of the 3rd pre-season game, I look at the pre-season for the players to simply get into 100% game shape, and to hopefully gain some timing.

Of course they have some value, if not they would not play them, or at least one would hope that would be the case.

Oliver...

I didn't get to see much of the game cuz my kids were nuts tonight, but what I saw was good. And the highlights and recaps all had good things to say.

I'm glad nobody got hurt and I'm glad we looked good rather than bad.........ah, optimism!

If nothing else, it sounds like Belichick has his **** together.

Got to agree with CK on this one. Preseason games are evaluation of Talent, ie, execution of plays, ability to adjust on the run, individual vs individual, see if what you're doing in TC is translating on the field. The Pats individuals dominated the Giants individuals. Attention to detail and a number of other evaluations are done, remember players are cut before the end of preseason. These games mean something to them, so individual performance in conjunction to playing within the scheme of the team is graded heavily. The score means nothing because the main 53 team is not formed yet. So everyone gets to play and see what they can bring. The Pats showed Depth on D. The running game was suspect other than that dude Pass. Remember Miami didn't have a running game for a long time, but were competitive for years, and we didn't have the D that the Pats put on the field tonight. So don't blow this game off as nothing..in a vanilla situation, they beat their men one on one. That's something. How it translate to us. We didn't handle blitzes well last year, Back to the GB game. Their blitz packages may cause us to keep our TE and RB in, thus leaving only only WR's as a threat. I'm should Norv was looking at this and probably will have some counters by then, but CK is right, the Giants run a O closely similar to ours.

Preseason does and doesn't mean anything. It all depends on what conclusions you're trying to make.

For example:

The score or who wins means absolutely NOTHING.

On the other hand the Pats/Giants game told me that the Patriots have solid depth on defense and the Giants have some depth concerns on offense.

The Patriots appear to have had a solid draft and the second year guys also looked impressive.

On offense the Patriots appear to have better depth at WR which could be important if their WR's catch the injury bug as they did last year. The Patriots Oline looks just as vulnerable or mediocre as it was last season and their running game is nothing to write home about. It would appear that the Patriots are going to depend heavily on Brady's right arm once again.

The Patriots will be just like last year but with an improved defense and better depth on defense and at WR. I expect the coaching to be slightly better this season with the addition of a QB coach which will free Belichick to focus his attention on other areas (like defense).

It's going to be one heck of a season in the AFC East.

Headline:

It's Preseason!! It means absolutely nothing. The reason they play them is to scout new players at position battles and evaluate talent. They don't game plan. They don't play starters. Starters don't play as hard. Even players who have great preseasons don't always play well during regular season when they face starters who are playing for real. See Brian Manning, Ray Lucas, Wally Ogunleye.

Everyone needs to chill about the Pats and our preseason game. ENjoy it, but keep it in perspective. It means nothing.

OK both Oliver an CK appear to be right here. First off, on Oliver's point, he is right in that the play selection is limited. Last preseason, Ogunleye went sack crazy in the preseason, having something like 8 sacks in the four games. He was facing basic offensive sets that didn't incorporate all he intracacies and wrinkles that a final offensive set would have. That was proven by his decent but not outstanding play during the regular season.

Also, as PhinKev pointed out, the Giants starting O-line looks terrible. I think they have something like three new, green starters who showed their lack of experience tonight. Miami's line has more games under their belt and worked well as a unit last year.

To CK's point, preseason is important to see if not only your reserves and rookies are grasping your offensive and defensive concepts,but that your returning and incoming veterans are as well. True, the playbooks are stripped down, but what does that tell you if your team can't even get ahold of those bare basic playbooks when the more complicated elements get introduced?

MY bottom line is that I really don't worry about how other teams look too much in preseason as I do the Dolphins.

Im only going to say this. If belechick wants to make a statement on TV to beat the crap out of a good football team in the giants he can, its very easy to do. the afc east is vying for attention because of us and the bills. The giants probably went out just like we will do tonight and just see what they have while tampa will be on a rampage to prove they are floridas team. for what? a preaseason game? its the first one! i will judge us on the atlanta game cus we will be on tv and its our 3rd one where we gameplan against a good team with peerless price.

If you see the patriots not look so good in the next one its cus they will not be on tv and belechik has already seen what he has seen and he doenst want guys to get injured. remember this! the pats started out great last year beating the crap out of pittsburgh, then they fizzled even more than we did! they just got lucky in the end against us and then unlucky by the jets winning. We will eat up that patriots offense!

Preseason may be insignificant in some people's eyes...mainly us fans....but try real hard to put yourself in a head coach's shoes and imagine your first team offense getting run the hell over in your first preseason game. After all the mini-camps and all the talk of this being the Giant's year and all, you cannot sit and say he wasn't a little concerned after last nights debacle.

Sure, by the time the season begins, things may be better, but it will be due to the evaluation and analysis done from the game tape of the preseason games.

It would also be just like Belicheck to really scheme the hell out of a preseason game.

Pats don't have a running game (bellichik scares me on the D side and Norv on the O). Their D wasn't playing against RW. The bills , Fins and Pats all looked good so far this pre-season. Go figure. Any word on the Jets?

I'm not sure we have an argument here as everyone seems to agree. We are just one big happy family after all :drinkers:

I would point out though, everyone here thinks preseason has some importance, or we wouldn't be here at all :gossip:

Back
Top Bottom