Dolphins vs Patriots...based on Giants-NE game. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins vs Patriots...based on Giants-NE game.

Originally posted by justafan
Pats don't have a running game (bellichik scares me on the D side and Norv on the O). Their D wasn't playing against RW. The bills , Fins and Pats all looked good so far this pre-season. Go figure. Any word on the Jets?

Jets, first team O, didn't look bad against Tampa last week either, I won't count them out...Sometimes offseason adversity leads to over achieving on field heroics, playing without mercy. :D Don't count this team out..plus they are division foes, I've found no matter what the records are amoung our division, each can beat the other.

Great post CK!! I like your observations about the game. I didn't see the game live but the highlights gave me a sense of something. The Fins need to squash the Pats quick or we will be in for a long day with em'. They do look quite dangerous on D, but Peanut's right their run-game sucks. It's going to be a tough season for us either way you look at it. We'll need to be healthy and at the top of our game to make the RUN.

Originally posted by M-REAL
Great post CK!! I like your observations about the game. I didn't see the game live but the highlights gave me a sense of something. The Fins need to squash the Pats quick or we will be in for a long day with em'. They do look quite dangerous on D, but Peanut's right their run-game sucks. It's going to be a tough season for us either way you look at it. We'll need to be healthy and at the top of our game to make the RUN.

Ya, the running game means sooooooo much.

I mean, the Raiders and Bucs both had 1000 yard rushers didn't they?

Oh wait, they didn't.

Look at Miami last year. 1800 yards rushing and a top 3 D. All that got em was a trip to 9-7 and a longer offseason.

I think the NFL is starting to be rethought ala MoneyBall. A good running game is good, but a good passign attack is JUST as important.

Besides, the Pats didn't have any run game in 2001, but eventually we found one. Could be the same situation.

Originally posted by PhinKev
Well, here's what I thought. The Giants have some real OLine problems. They lost two starters and replaced them with a couple of guys who looked absolutely lost out there especially that right tackle.

Notwithstanding that, I think New England looks pretty good. Brady looks like he has command of the offense, but their running game is still going to be suspect. I think they are best when they know you are passing and can blitz off the edges, but are probably still vunerable to runs especially when they are inside traps or misdirections.

Because when he was returning kicks for us he was going against first team special teamers.

My take on the game is that the Patriots did look scary on defense. Remember this was only the first pre-seson game. I know you want your first teamers to look sharp and the Patriots players did but this doesn't mean that whe the Pats and G-men meet in the regular season that New England is going to crush them. Winning in the pre-season has always been important to Bill Bellichik (Parcells disciple). A lot of the guys who looked good were in against guys who would be on the waiver wire in a couple of weeks. As far as Harrison and Milloy discouraging offenses from throwing to the middle of the field. Well those are two safties who are known for there run stuffing ability and both don't run real fast. I think the deep middl of the NEw England defense will prove to be a weakness. If of course the running gme is gelling.

The ones who say that the preseason means absolutely nothing are probably the ones who don't watch the games and just wake up in the morning and check the score.................you are right , that means nothing.

But if you actually watch the games, and follow the league, you see that preseason games are the best tool for evaluating talent. Think of the teams with QB controversies, you think the preseason isn't huge for Dallas this year?? What, are they going to use the first 3-4 games of the regular season to have a QB tryout?? What real fan wouldn't want to watch and see who performs the best in these games and judge who they think the starter should be. What about Tampa tonight...Pittman? T.Jones? A.Stecker? T.Stephens? Dolphins......which WR steps up and cracks the roster??

Preseason is where you find out who your players are, without intricate schemes and big coaching advantages/disadvantages, just line up, head-to-head and lets ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

sorry but last year was a fluke....

Ya, the running game means sooooooo much.

KC, and Bills had high powered running games and passing games and they didn't make the playoffs.... Obviously that was because of their defenses or lack there of... Our biggest problem was we became too one-dimensional.. I mean damn they would put 8-9 nine guys in the box and dare us to beat them in the air and we couldn't. In the NFL you need great coaching, a strong defense and a balance offense

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Preseason doesn't mean nothing. If preseason meant nothing then coaches wouldn't allow their teams to play four of them. You think coaches like risking the bodies of their players in games that dont count toward the Super Bowl? You think that they are making a bunch of money on the gate with these games compared to the cost of putting on a game at the stadium?

Preseason means something alright. It means a whole lot more than anyone gives credit for. The only thing that is insignificant, is the final score...so long as you know what you are looking at.

i don't think Oliver meant "nothing" in the literal sense. There is not enough 1st team against 1st team action to get a real look at what to expect. What preseason really does is to get good looks at all the deth players and last tier guys so as to be able to better evaluate the bodies when cuts have to be made. The starters only go a couple series maybe to knock the rust off. ;)

Originally posted by Prime Time
You guys see that Punt Return by Ward? How come he couldn't do that when we had him?

Amazing now ain't it ?? i had a few choice words to say and I'll bet Ward's ears are still burning!! :D

I only saw the highlights, but based on your description CK,Miami could use a double TE formation and pound them w/ RW up the gut. That formation would also allow them release TEs and Rbs into patterns to force the LBs into coverage.

Back
Top Bottom