Dolphins wanted Wirfs & Ruiz | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins wanted Wirfs & Ruiz

I would bet not. Miami will be in prime position to snag Creed Humphrey next year with either of their firsts, if Karas doesn't workout. Karas is no slouch himself as he turned down a more lucrative offer from New England to prove he's worth big money next year. It's easy to see why they took the LT over the C.

Austin Jackson has all the upside and talent you'd expect from a 20 year old LT picked 18th overall. No one will be surprised if he has a better career than 1 or 2 of the OT's that went ahead of him.

You can't be looking back already and wishing you undid selections before the 2nd round even started.

It is interesting that for the second year in a row the Saints took a center with their first pick overall selection, in both cases likely preventing a guy from being our selection.

With 3 quality centers still on the board I am not about to cry over spilled milk now. If we get locked out of the position completely this year, Humphrey becomes a top target next year. Creed Humphrey goes before Ruiz this year, had he declared.
Don't forget Alex Leatherwood from Alabama. I have seen he is also going to be a projected first round pick.

Also, for the record, if we are going to be crying over spilled milk, the original title should be Burrow, Wirfs and Ruiz.

Should we give all of our players back and ask for a complete do-over?

This is the draft in a nutshell every year. Everyone has specific targets, sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't.

This is not a business for second guessers but that of grown men who have strong beliefs in their assessments. You don't live and die with one selection or one player, you build with what works for you.

The new building blocks work for me, for sure.

Last edited:
So close with those, also with CeeDee Lamb. Would you ever have imagined going in we would be 1 pick away from having the Tua-Lamb connection?

I was hoping lamb would fall to us so we could trade back with Philly who was desperate. Or potentially keep him ourselves. No one saw Dallas taking him. Sucks how close.

Bad drafters get caught up in a particular player and micro-focus on getting them.

Good drafters, like Belichick, trade down every year... amass picks... look at groups of similar players, rather than picking out just one.

In you want to win long term... never be upset when your next pick goes off the board; instead, have 3 players ready at each juncture of the draft... and no crying.

There is no reason why we shouldn’t get a guy we like (Wirfs and Ruiz) with all that ammo. Those guys are difference makers and we took projects instead. He has a bounty of picks to maneuver through the draft. Use them and get guys who you like. Don’t settle. No more excuses.

Don't forget Alex Leatherwood from Alabama. I have seen he is also going to be a projected first round pick.

Ya. I've been working under the assumption all along that DE and C would be our top 2 targets next year so that is still holding pretty true.

DE, RT and C are all still in play right now for this draft's second round so a lot can still change before next April.

I'll go one step further and look way to far down the road and say our top 4 needs in 2021 will be DE, C, RB and WR, with DT possibly eclipsing either of the offensive skill positions should we solidify those units this year.

The future is so bright for this franchise.

Kills me as I wanted both and we were so damn close. Imagine coming away w Tua, Wirfs, and Ruiz in round one and it probably only costing a mid-round pick. Trying not to be depressed about it. Instead we got a project LT, and another CB. So close to coming away with a shored up Oline for the future.
And it only took 2 first rd picks

So close with those, also with CeeDee Lamb. Would you ever have imagined going in we would be 1 pick away from having the Tua-Lamb connection?

Yes and No. At the end of the day it was going to be a numbers game.

3 QB's, 4 OT's and 3 WR's. That's 10 guys from 3 positions going in the top 17.

Given the top end talent on defense, someone was bound to fall.

I thought the Falcons at 16 and Raiders at 19 really got stuck and ended up reaching for CB's I wouldn't have taken over Noah Igbinoghene. Falcons especially dropped the ball as they could've gotten a 2021 third and 2020 fourth from Philly to let them move up for Lamb. Terrell wasn't a must have player for Atlanta and they could've easily waited til 21 to take BPA defensive player.

For the second time in 3 years the Raiders reached for "the other Ohio State corner".

You look at the value of Kinlaw (14), Jeudy (15), Lamb (17), vs. Terrell (16) and Arnette (19), it's Gross. It's down right Gross-Matus.

Miami did it's job with Austin Jackson. High upside with room to grow at mission critical position.

I'd honestly would've been willing to let go of 26 to to move up to get Wirfs. That guy is a freak and is plug and play.

Maybe. It's possible Austin Jackson is a better pro than him though. It's possible Noah Igbinghene is a better pro than him as well. Its possible pick 136 will yield your new starting RB. I think when it comes to the draft there is always safety in numbers and your almost always better off taking multiple talents over one ultra talent.

3 teams looked at Wirfs and decided to select a different OT so it was bound to happen that one would fall to within TB's striking distance.

There was only one player in this draft Miami had to have and they got him. The rest of this draft is about the 30-40 other guys they really want to add to the mix. Find 5-6 of those guys to add to Tua and don't look back.

I like Jackson pick but don't think he is ready to start. Hope we are more patient with him than we have been with Rosen. I, too, believe Humphrey, who stayed in school, would have been the no.1 center this year, although I did want Ruiz at 26.

Back
Top Bottom