Dolphins Will Run Both A 4-3 And 3-4 This Year. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Will Run Both A 4-3 And 3-4 This Year.

I'm pretty sure it will still be mostly nickel and dime. While the 43 vs 34 used to mean the front seven … I think it's being bastardized a bit here. What they really mean is a 3 man front sometimes and a 4 man front other times. Or, as Slimm points out, this is a variation of how we implement the 4th guy, who sometimes will look like a LB and other times look like a DE.

This is very exciting. The Patriots have taken prospects that didn't quite fit into other schemes perfectly and used them effectively with this multiple front approach. It almost reminds me of Bill Walsh, who designed one of the first ball-control short passing systems, called the West Coast Offense after his west coast San Francisco 49'ers (but he initially developed it in Cincinnati to deal with QB Ken Anderson's decreased arm strength). Walsh was looking for offensive linemen who were mobile, but was OK with guys who didn't quite have as much power and size. So, he could get guys who were ideal for his system in the middle rounds, so he traded back, got lots of picks, and took those guys at what was essentially a discount.

The Patriots have gotten guys who have good athletic ability, but maybe not truly elite quickness or maybe not ideal length, so they slipped down the draft boards or were cut. The Patriots recycled a lot of those guys and sifted through them to find a few really good fits. Guys like Kyle Van Noy, who failed elsewhere, but succeeded in the multiple front system because he does a number of things fairly well.

What makes this so encouraging is that it means we should be able to build a competitive defense, and maybe a good defense, relatively quickly. Seeing as how that is Coach Flores' area of concentration, I'm excited to see what he builds. Given that we're tanking for a year, that gives him two drafts and two off-seasons to get his guys in place. We haven't had a strong defense since the Coyle/Nolan years, and many people made it their life's focus to criticize them. Honestly, they were pretty good overall. This system that Flores/Graham want to run probably means that in a few years our defense is going to return to being a perennial top 10 defense … and it will be a welcome return.

The west coast offense was created to deal with the weak arm of Virgil Carter not Ken Anderson, the Bengals won a division with him.

That may be true, but I would point out a couple things to qualify that statement.

Your saying a mid rd rookie wouldn't see much playing time on a SB quality defense? OK, that's hardly shocking. Nor would I consider it a huge disappointment.

Just because he didn't necessarily fit perfectly in the particular combination of player the Pats had, doesn't mean Flores/Graham won't find a role (possibly a bug one) for him here.

He is very fast, very athletic, and when given the opportunity to blitz, and do other things, he showed up quite well IMO. He also just now full grown. I will be a bit disappointed in him if he doesn't come back this year a little heaver, and a lot stronger.

I'm just saying that the player closest in style to Baker had a bigger role in 2017 to 2018.

Is that because NE doesn't play 3 LB's, with the possibility of one being a WILL (Baker)?

If the Pats don't play 5 - 6 DB's...what kind of LB could/would be the 3rd one on the field with a DL made to keep the LB's clean?

Yes, I would say that's a major reason. Big LB's and DL allow them to put more DB's on the field.

The west coast offense was created to deal with the weak arm of Virgil Carter not Ken Anderson, the Bengals won a division with him.
Honestly I don't even know who Virgil Carter is. I knew he did it when working as an assistant coach in Cincinnati and was givin direction to develop a solution, but I thought it was a late career Ken Anderson who had the weak arm they needed to develop it for. Good to know.

Graham says wants heavy handed guys.

That says Rashan Gary, Montez sweat, Ed Oliver, devin white to me

There seems to be a lot of top 5 Rashan Gary momentum that isn’t going away.

Back
Top Bottom