Dolphins' Wright cooking now | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' Wright cooking now

He's getting in shape as we speak, and like he said, a whole offseason with the team will help him.

Remember, he didn't even join us until July last year. By the time the season comes, he'll be in shape and get some serious PT.

The point is Manny Wright is a professional athelete that should be in tip-top shape all the time. Getting fat by adding on pounds should not be an option. The time he spends shedding of that extra weight to get into shape is time he is wasting because that time should be spend solidifying his atheleticism if that makes any sense. He is young and good work ethics take time to develop, but damn Manny there is a distinction between being your Mama's boy at home getting babbied and a professional athelete-something he is not.

Nice article, he seems to be stepping it up now. It is still June and he is only overweight by about 8 lbs from the end of last year. What I think everyone wants is him to have the desire and focus to be live up to his athletic ability. And to be honest I wouldnt care if he was at 340 or so as long as the stamina was ok. Look at Sean Gilbert, Ted Washington they werent Mr Universe but with them in the game the run defenses they were apart of were pretty darn good. Imagine a center and guard having to move Manny at 340 or 350 in the Miami heat all game long.

Manny Wright is an interesting creature. It is really hard to tell if he will live up to his physical ability and become the next Tim Bowens; or become just another failed fifth round pick

Nicky Napoleon said:
Yeah now hes 350+lbs you cant really consider that a baby.

Uhhhh...excuse me, didn't the article just say he was at 343 ?? That's not exactly 350+ ???

He's getting the weight down, but hopefully after this year, he'll realize that it's his job to stay in shape and keep his body in the best physical condition year round. I think it's a maturity thing and it will click with him soon. I hope anyways.

PALMA said:
Getting fat by adding on pounds should not be an option. /quote]

Is there any other way of getting fat?

I think some people are taking this thing with Manny's weight out of context.

There are plenty of D-linemen and O-linemen on other teams that have been productive players and have weight problems, just take Traylor and Sapp as two examples.

i think he'll be fine when training camp and the season comes around... im excited to see what he can do, i feel like he can be a really dominant player if he puts his all into being into great shape and playing hard...

Said it 100 times, Manny will be fine......Saban will see to that.

The problem for Manny isn't his weight, it is his FAT weight. He's got a lot of FAT on him. If you've seen pictures of him at training camp he looks like a pregnant guppy. If you've heard from our posters who have watched training camp, he has looked lazy in between drills, in very poor condition, and needs to take breaks all the time.

The problem with his FAT weight is he went ahead and gained a bunch even though the guy has yet to successfully get into game shape for the Dolphins since being drafted. Sure he got just barely in shape enough last year that he was able to get involved in about two dozen snaps when Keith Traylor got hurt, but that's it he got shuffled back to the bench.

What happens when the guy, god forbid, needs to play and start an entire game? What is he going to be like in the 4th quarter with such a high body fat percentage? Is he going to be as tired and lazy in the 4th quarter of games as he looks in conditioning drills?

You know what this off season Ronnie Brown showed why he's a #2 overall pick and Manny Wright is still just a 5th round pick even though they are both capable of displaying the same physical dominance. Ronnie wasn't happy with the shape he was in last year after getting a late start, missing 3 weeks of camp, etc. He was 237 pounds but he felt his body fat was too high (which is picky, cuz it was measured at 9.5% at the Combine). He actually spent the off season working to get into BETTER shape, because he felt he wasn't in good enough shape in 2005. Now he shows up leaner, with a noticeably smaller body fat percentage, weighing 235 pounds of solid muscle and wants to get down to 230-235 during the season this year.

We KNOW that Manny was in unacceptable shape in 2005. So what does he do during the off season? Eats everything in sight, doesn't keep up on his conditioning, and gains 25 pounds of mostly bad weight.

That's why he's still just a 5th round pick and Ronnie has $20 million in guaranteed coin already. That attitude cost Manny tens of millions in everything he's done as a football player so far...and it will continue to cost him UNTIL he changes it.

Let me put it this way we drafted him as a 5th round pick and after this off season, he's still worth only a 5th round pick. He could be worth so much more, so it's maddening.

It was mad disapointing to have Manny Wright come in out of shape but i'm over it now. Everyone makes mistakes, that includes a 2nd year NT who really has not played all that much. He's learning his lesson the hard way and as long as he comes into camp weighing what he should i could care less.

Back
Top Bottom