Dolphins' Wright cooking now | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' Wright cooking now

PhinFan0202 said:
It was mad disapointing to have Manny Wright come in out of shape but i'm over it now. Everyone makes mistakes, that includes a 2nd year NT who really has not played all that much. He's learning his lesson the hard way and as long as he comes into camp weighing what he should i could care less.

Yeah I'm not convinced he's learned any lesson. He doesn't sound like he has in interviews. He thinks its perfectly ok to balloon up then try and work extra hard to make weight.

Last year was a damn fine opportunity to learn a lesson...when he showed up to camp so out of shape that he couldn't finish drills, had veterans calling him a baby, had Kevin Carter blasting him in public, and had Nick Saban making him cry in front of TV cameras.

If he didn't learn his lesson about being in good condition after last year, what makes us think he'll learn some lesson after this year?

ckparrothead said:
Let me put it this way we drafted him as a 5th round pick and after this off season, he's still worth only a 5th round pick. He could be worth so much more, so it's maddening.

Good post, CK.

Many of us here have had the oportunity to grow old enough to learn what might have been had we done things slightly differently. When someone like Manny Wright, who looks like he could rise so high, continues to piss it away... well, there's not much for me to do but shake my head and hope that someone can reach the kid before one day he's looking back and wondering why he didn't understand then when he understands now.

On the other hand, tt might just be our mistaken perception that we see him as lazy and that he doesn't care about being responsible about shaping his body and mind. When someone like David Bowens says, "He's disciplined himself. He's come a long way. And if he can keep that discipline, he's going to be a hell of a player one day," is he just propping Manny up to encourage him, or is he being honest? That I feel the need to ask that question is not a good sign.

Here's hoping Manny sees the light, because no one... not Saban, not Vonnie, not KC... no one can flip the switch but Manny himself.

PALMA said:
The point is Manny Wright is a professional athelete that should be in tip-top shape all the time. Getting fat by adding on pounds should not be an option. The time he spends shedding of that extra weight to get into shape is time he is wasting because that time should be spend solidifying his atheleticism if that makes any sense. He is young and good work ethics take time to develop, but damn Manny there is a distinction between being your Mama's boy at home getting babbied and a professional athelete-something he is not.

In a perfect world, yes. But if he's able to get to playing weight by TC its not a big deal. Hell, Tim Bowens would come in overweight year after year, and it didn't stop him from getting into Probowl form by the time the season started.

josephreese said:
Good post, CK.

Many of us here have had the oportunity to grow old enough to learn what might have been had we done things slightly differently. When someone like Manny Wright, who looks like he could rise so high, continues to piss it away... well, there's not much for me to do but shake my head and hope that someone can reach the kid before one day he's looking back and wondering why he didn't understand then when he understands now.

On the other hand, tt might just be our mistaken perception that we see him as lazy and that he doesn't care about being responsible about shaping his body and mind. When someone like David Bowens says, "He's disciplined himself. He's come a long way. And if he can keep that discipline, he's going to be a hell of a player one day," is he just propping Manny up to encourage him, or is he being honest? That I feel the need to ask that question is not a good sign.

Here's hoping Manny sees the light, because no one... not Saban, not Vonnie, not KC... no one can flip the switch but Manny himself.

I think David Bowens is just propping him up. Kevin Carter clearly had a "no comment" face on when asked about Manny recently...basically because as has already been reported by Jason Cole, Nick Saban has specifically asked the veterans to not blast Manny in front of reporters and to "be positive" about him.

So we'll see. I doubt he just suddenly grows up. He had the opportunity to do that and he didn't take it. How many players do you hear about that heading into their second season, now that they know what it takes to be in NFL shape, they spend the off season after rookie year working really hard on their conditioning? Heck, even Wade Smith did that. Vernon Carey did. That thought probably just didn't occur to Manatee Wright. He thought, season's done sweet now I can kick back and relax and finally eat what I want to.

ckparrothead said:
The problem for Manny isn't his weight, it is his FAT weight. ...

... Ronnie wasn't happy with the shape he was in last year ... He actually spent the off season working to get into BETTER shape, because he felt he wasn't in good enough shape in 2005. ...

...We KNOW that Manny was in unacceptable shape in 2005. So what does he do during the off season? Eats everything in sight, doesn't keep up on his conditioning, and gains 25 pounds of mostly bad weight.

Manny's problem isn't weight, it's discipline and maturity. Compare your statements about Ronnie and Manny and you see the difference. Manny had better grow up in a hurry and learn that he's expected to show up in shape (and with his pads) just like all the rest of the professional athletes on the team. Ability means nothing if you can't harness it and coach it.

I wonder what the "Old Guys" think about him calling them that? hahaha

ckparrothead said:
Yeah I'm not convinced he's learned any lesson. He doesn't sound like he has in interviews. He thinks its perfectly ok to balloon up then try and work extra hard to make weight.

Last year was a damn fine opportunity to learn a lesson...when he showed up to camp so out of shape that he couldn't finish drills, had veterans calling him a baby, had Kevin Carter blasting him in public, and had Nick Saban making him cry in front of TV cameras.

If he didn't learn his lesson about being in good condition after last year, what makes us think he'll learn some lesson after this year?

Hopefully someone can reach this kid before he losses his opportunity. We need him to be able to take on his responsibilities as a player right now and he's not anywhere close to doing that. Like i said before as long as he wises up when it counts i could care less.

Cut the guy some slack. Hes only 13 lbs over his playing wieght of last year.

He will be fine. People just looking for news.

Mcganiel said:
Cut the guy some slack. Hes only 13 lbs over his playing wieght of last year.

He will be fine. People just looking for news.

As I've said before, the weight has nothing to do with it. He could be the same exact weight and I'd be ticked. It is his conditioning and body fat percentage, both of which are easily as poor as last year.

Well, he's lost 15lbs already so i'm not at all concerned about the remaining 13lbs he needs to lose. I just hope that in the future he learns to take care of himself during the offseason.

"I'm working out. When minicamp is over, we have three more (individual work) days. I'm going to stay here an extra two or three weeks to work out, and I'll come back a week early before camp to work out."

He knows he's overweight and what he needs to do to get to where he needs to be. I don't think this is a big issue...he'll be ready.

We'll see. I don't know if I'm buying that he'll make it into good CONDITION (it's not weight, it's conditioning) by training camp. But we shall see. I hope he does. Can't trade the man for something good if he can't get onto the field.

Back
Top Bottom