Don't be Surprised . . . | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't be Surprised . . .

ATL_PHIN_FAN

Winner Under Construction
Reaction score
Based on the Dolphins' FO and coaching decisions/verbiage leading up to and including the 2019 season, I think it's become pretty clear that system match for player selection comes first with this Dolphins organization. If we can assume the FO and coaching staff are working toward the same objectives; and I think we can, our free agent acquisitions and draft picks will be heavily influenced by system.

Things I think we can and should not expect going forward from the Dolphins organization:

* Don't expect best player available selections in the draft. For this organization, BPA will not automatically mean best player to fill a need, or best player for our team as a whole.
* Expect a lot of decisions that may skip over players that appear a better bet because they are more athletically talented, or statistically popular choices. Rather, expect the Dolphins to favor players who are team first and/or are highly coach-able. Only THEN will they consider their other abilities.
* While I do think Grier believes that a franchise caliber QB is very important, he will use his rolls of the dice carefully. Right after a proven team first and coach-able attitude, I think Grier, along with Flores, will demand a QB who has proven excellent leadership. Leadership is not always an easily quantifiable skill. So, I'm saying the guys who appear to be the most desirable by the media, or on most draft boards around the league, may not be the guy we select. In fact, we may be stunned by whom we draft, as well as where we make our QB selection(s) in the draft. It may possibly end up similar to the Giant's decision to take Daniel Jones, as they did. I'm not saying yet that was a good or bad decision. But, the Giant's FO certainly had their own thoughts, which were NOT conventional wisdom; and they had no problem rolling with them.

I'm interested in whether you think my premises are correct, given what we've seen so far? If you agree, how will they affect our team's choices going forward? :ponder:

Last edited:
After years of observing the GOAT up close and personal, it's very plausible that Coach Flo and O'Shea want a pocket passer like Brady. Burrow will be long gone. Using your premise, it's possible that Grier will come back for a 2nd or 3rd First round tasting with Fromm.

Last edited:
After years of observing the GOAT up close and personal, it's very plausible that Coach Flo and O'Shea was a pocket passer like Brady. Burrow will be long gone. Using your premise, it's possible that Grier will come back for a 2nd or 3rd First round tasting with Fromm.

I think that's a very good possibility. I can't say I have a problem with it, either.

I think they will get what they believe is a grade a quarterback be it free agency or the draft. I also believe they will do their due diligence and unless one is not available in their eyes they’ll move on but I think their goal his quarterback first in for most, I think Ross’s asshole clenches every time he sees Lamar Jackson on the highlight reel.

I like that they want good guys and team first guys and all that but they need to be careful.....that's how you end up with players like Charles Harris......this team needs top talent and in the past Grier have drafted players base on how much he liked the person instead of how much he liked the player.

Based on the Dolphins' FO and coaching decisions/verbiage leading up to and including the 2019 season, I think it's become pretty clear that system match for player selection comes first with this Dolphins organization. If we can assume the FO and coaching staff are working toward the same objectives; and I think we can, our free agent acquisitions and draft picks will be heavily influenced by system.

Things I think we can and should not expect going forward from the Dolphins organization:

* Don't expect best player available selections in the draft. For this organization, BOA will not automatically mean best player to fill a need, or best player for our team as a whole.
* Expect a lot of decisions that may skip over players that appear a better bet because they are more athletically talented, or statistically popular choices. Rather, expect the Dolphins to favor players who are team first and/or are highly coach-able. Only THEN will they consider their other abilities.
* While I do think Grier believes that a franchise caliber QB is very important, he will use his rolls of the dice carefully. Right after a proven team first and coach-able attitude, I think Grier, along with Flores, will demand a QB who has proven excellent leadership. Leadership is not always an easily quantifiable skill. So, I'm saying the guys who appear to be the most desirable by the press, or on most draft boards around the league, may not be the guy we select. In fact, we may be stunned by whom we draft, as well as where we make our QB selection(s) in the draft. It may possibly end up similar to the Giant's decision to take Daniel Jones, as they did. I'm not saying yet that was a good or bad decision. But, the Giant's FO certainly had their own thoughts, which were NOT conventional wisdom; and they had no problem rolling with them.

I'm interested in whether you think my premises are correct, given what we've seen so far? If you agree, how will they affect our team's choices going forward? :ponder:

I completely agree that Chris Grier will use that strategy because he has been using that startegy since he has been the GM.

I completely disagree that it is the correct strategy to use when drafting and acquiring new talent. Specially because those are all opinion based measuring sticks, and because he has done a shitty job using that startegy already.

We are essentially skipping over generational talents for personalities that are safe bets. I remember Philbin having a similar strategy.

If you are not going BPA, you will pay. I have no faith in this front office or scouting department. The worst in the league for close to 3 decades.

I think they will get what they believe is a grade a quarterback be it free agency or the draft. I also believe they will do their due diligence and unless one is not available in their eyes they’ll move on but I think their goal his quarterback first in for most, I think Ross’s ******* clenches every time he sees Lamar Jackson on the highlight reel.

LOL, I have no doubt about that. Although I've read the Phins are trying to change the narrative about what happened concerning Jackson between Grier and Ross. Sadly, I couldn't read the Mando article about it. Not subscribed.

* Don't expect best player available selections in the draft. For this organization, BOA will not automatically mean best player to fill a need, or best player for our team as a whole.
* While I do think Grier believes that a franchise caliber QB is very important, he will use his rolls of the dice carefully. Right after a proven team first and coach-able attitude, I think Grier, along with Flores, will demand a QB who has proven excellent leadership. Leadership is not always an easily quantifiable skill. So, I'm saying the guys who appear to be the most desirable by the press, or on most draft boards around the league, may not be the guy we select. In fact, we may be stunned by whom we draft, as well as where we make our QB selection(s) in the draft. It may possibly end up similar to the Giant's decision to take Daniel Jones, as they did. I'm not saying yet that was a good or bad decision. But, the Giant's FO certainly had their own thoughts, which were NOT conventional wisdom; and they had no problem rolling with them.

I know this is obvious, but I think Flo et al will take system match players, BUT after deciding they have a minimum level of talent. That minimum level will change from day 1 to day 2, but I doubt they'll forego talent and focus on fit.
I've said a couple of times, high on the traits of QB will be mental quickness and a film room obsession. You're right, being coachable will also be high.
I think more of this year's players will start next year than some think. More will be on the roster than some think. I expect they'll pick 4-5 'critical' holes to fill and focus on those. If they can fill others for low cost or low risk, fine, but I doubt they'll try to fill every hole, in spite of cap.

I like that they want good guys and team first guys and all that but they need to be careful.....that's how you end up with players like Charles Harris......this team needs top talent and in the past Grier have drafted players base on how much he liked the person instead of how much he liked the player.

Yeah, but if Grier always chooses based on talent first and foremost, doesn't he risk another Minkah Fitzpatrick situation? As long as Flo is HC, anyway?

I completely agree that Chris Grier will use that strategy because he has been using that startegy since he has been the GM.

I completely disagree that it is the correct strategy to use when drafting and acquiring new talent. Specially because those are all opinion based measuring sticks, and because he has done a ****ty job using that startegy already.

We are essentially skipping over generational talents for personalities that are safe bets. I remember Philbin having a similar strategy.

If you are not going BPA, you will pay. I have no faith in this front office or scouting department. The worst in the league for close to 3 decades.

OK, but could it be that strategy would work better with THIS coaching staff?

I know this is obvious, but I think Flo et al will take system match players, BUT after deciding they have a minimum level of talent. That minimum level will change from day 1 to day 2, but I doubt they'll forego talent and focus on fit.
I've said a couple of times, high on the traits of QB will be mental quickness and a film room obsession. You're right, being coachable will also be high.
I think more of this year's players will start next year than some think. More will be on the roster than some think. I expect they'll pick 4-5 'critical' holes to fill and focus on those. If they can fill others for low cost or low risk, fine, but I doubt they'll try to fill every hole, in spite of cap.

I agree. Reality will dictate a lot of what we can or should do this year. I know Flo is stubborn and won't want to budge, but Grier has to live with his reality. He can't focus only on the next game most of the time like Flo can. However, I think Flo agreed to this partnership; so, will gracefully bow to circumstances in the end.

I completely disagree that it is the correct strategy to use when drafting and acquiring new talent. Specially because those are all opinion based measuring sticks, and because he has done a ****ty job using that startegy already.

When did the draft happen? What draft selections have Flores, Grier and Co made?

When did the draft happen? What draft selections have Flores, Grier and Co made?

He must have not drafted Michael Deiter and the slew of great rookies making an impact on this team this year.

Even our first round pick has not made a noticeable impact on the field the way you would like your best pick to.

Grier's best picks this year came after the draft in Preston Williams... which was all luck because he had a bad rep pre-draft.

I think you’ve presented a recipe for a bunch of hard working overachiever jag types. Scheme over talent.

We need true difference makers. Something that keeps coordinators up at night.

As fransinceGWilson suggested in his post, maybe we'll end up with a mix this first big draft for them, instead? I agree, reality does dictate that we need some obvious threats for any coordinator to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom