Dorail Green-Beckham | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dorail Green-Beckham

I think I am less worried about taking a troubled player now, then I was a year ago. Tannehill is evolving into more of a vocal leader, the WR's have Jarvis Landry who took the position of leader of the WR's within a month of being there. Having a guy like Landry, who is as solid of a guy you can have, who is also vocal, could be beneficial to a player like DGB.

Excellent points....again....they should thoroughly evaluate him....but if they like what they see, this team needs a major weapon on offense.

I've watched this team pass on the Randy Moss's and Dez Bryants too many times....worried about character....ending up with John Averys and Jared Odricks.

I hate to quote Jimmy (who passed on Moss).......but do want to be good or do you want to be great?

You have to take a shot on Major talent.

Hoops,

It happened. The weed busts happened. Those are facts. What isn't so clear is the context. There's always context. Sometimes the context means an undraftable guy becomes draftable. Sometimes the context is irrelevant. CK is suggesting the context is relevant. I really don't know, but I'm sure Philbin doesn't want this kid.

Context didn't help the Oregon TE from last year. It helped Crowell, who had a filed down gun in his car. Go figure.

crowell went undrafted so it didnt help him...he just got a chance and his talent made good on it...i'm sure the leash is short there though

Hoops,

It happened. The weed busts happened. Those are facts. What isn't so clear is the context. There's always context. Sometimes the context means an undraftable guy becomes draftable. Sometimes the context is irrelevant. CK is suggesting the context is relevant. I really don't know, but I'm sure Philbin doesn't want this kid.

Context didn't help the Oregon TE from last year. It helped Crowell, who had a filed down gun in his car. Go figure.

also throwing a woman down stairs regardless of what she did is not a good indicator of character...i mean i get it you sometimes got a short fuse i do too but something in me says "don't potentially kill someone tossing them down freaking steps"

there needs to be an off switch there before it gets to that point...now add money to the equation and all the opportunity it brings...

fair enough...it's your board...he's not on mine

I understand your position...but we have been here before more than once....and didn't pull the trigger...only to regret it.

If we eliminate every kid who smokes some grass....or commits an act of immaturity between the ages of 18-20......this organization will never be great again.

I understand your position...but we have been here before more than once....and didn't pull the trigger...only to regret it.

If we eliminate every kid who smokes some grass....or commits an act of immaturity between the ages of 18-20......this organization will never be great again.

i don't give a rip about smoking a little weed...the entire league does that pretty much...but i also know cause i studied dez bryant as a prospect as much as anyone could and FULLY endorsed that as a top 5 bpa run the card up miami pick that despite the character concerns or whatever off the field stuff that dez bryants situation and dgbs are not the same thing...not by a long shot

i will tell you this though...if dgb does go out at 6 ft 5 and 237 and run sub 4.4 or 4.4 flat i will guarantee you that i will be checking out that kids tape... :lol:

the curiousity will kill me

You're exactly right now let's just hope he doesn't show out too much where he's already taken come pick 14. I doubt it but it will depend on the teams in front of us that are desperate for a big WR.

I have this gut feeling he wil be a strong candidate for our 14th pick. Call me crazy but a week ago I even had a dream that we drafted DGB and this is before I knew anything about the guy except for his name.
we can all hope. He could take this offense to a next level

i don't give a rip about smoking a little weed...the entire league does that pretty much...but i also know cause i studied dez bryant as a prospect as much as anyone could and FULLY endorsed that as a top 5 bpa run the card up miami pick that despite the character concerns or whatever off the field stuff that dez bryants situation and dgbs are not the same thing...not by a long shot

Dez Bryant struck his biological mother....how is that not a similar situation?

The major difference today is the colleges are quicker to react than even 5 years ago because of the major violence stories in the news.

I don't see this kid has a football problem at all....it was maturity issues that need to be evaluated.

If he checks out favorably...and his skillsets check out...you roll those bones.

I'd rather take shot at greatness....than keep drafting safe average type players.

also throwing a woman down stairs regardless of what she did is not a good indicator of character...i mean i get it you sometimes got a short fuse i do too but something in me says "don't potentially kill someone tossing them down freaking steps"

there needs to be an off switch there before it gets to that point...now add money to the equation and all the opportunity it brings...

This is what I mean - I'm pretty sure he didn't throw a woman down some stairs. He pushed past her - clearly not taking enough care for her safety - and she tripped down a few steps. Maybe she got hurt, maybe she didn't - I don't know. But I don't believe he threw anyone down the stairs - its' such an emotive image that probably doesn't represent the real, slightly more mundane, facts.

Quick Question for those who studied the WRs from last as well as this year...

If he had a "clean" history...where would he have ranked in last years vaunted class? (on the field skill alone)

This is what I mean - I'm pretty sure he didn't throw a woman down some stairs. He pushed past her - clearly not taking enough care for her safety - and she tripped down a few steps. Maybe she got hurt, maybe she didn't - I don't know. But I don't believe he threw anyone down the stairs - its' such an emotive image that probably doesn't represent the real, slightly more mundane, facts.

so a slight brushing huh...probably said excuse me too :lol:

Football is pretty much all DGB has and I'm not sure I've seen his work ethic actively questioned. Gary Pinkel sure was quick to phone his friend Bob Stoops, personally vouch for Dorial, and facilitate a transfer to Oklahoma. Those around the Mizzou program never caught any whiff of Dorial being a sloucher with respect to work ethic or desire to be great. Like many young players (the last time we saw him play football he was just a redshirt freshman) he wasn't completely grasping the mental or technical details yet. That's hardly new of guys who were at high school prom 18 months ago. But those that know his background, I don't think they question that football is all he has and so he's pretty committed to it.

When his girlfriend (whom he'd just dragged out of her apartment by the arm and neck because he caught her cheating on him with a teammate) texted her roommate that night to try and get her roommate not to call the cops or press charges on DGB, that was the explanation that kept coming up in her texts. Football is all he has. It's interesting to me because here is a girl who is clearly mad at him for what he did, probably does NOT believe she will continue to have any connection with Dorial going forward due in part to her philandering and in part to his horrifying reaction to it, but she still felt sorry for the guy. She recognized football is the only good thing he has going in his life and she wanted to help him protect that, despite everything.

Why? Well, the background gives us clues. This is a kid with an incredibly tragic tale. Mother was a crack addict. She OD'd on a drug ****tail while she was 6 months pregnant and at the hospital they pronounced her baby Dorial dead in the womb. Somehow he survived, she carried him to term, and gave birth to him only to have he and his brothers living out of the back of a van with their crack-addicted mother and the men she cycled in and out of her life (any of whom could have been Dorial's father, because nobody knows who that was including her). He and his closest brother Darren go through the foster system, at one point land in a home for physically and sexually abused children, eventually land with a foster couple on a farm. The father (from Coral Gables, big Dolphins fan, played at The U and is still close friends with Al Del Greco) is a football coach. But then the foster mother develops thyroid cancer, childrens services take Dorial and Darren away to place them in the care of blood relatives, split up Darren and Dorial (causing 10 pounds of weight loss each from sheer depression), and the Beckhams had to press on Missouri politicians through connections to get the two kids back in their care and officially adopt them, which they did even though the mother was being treated for thyroid cancer. But then in 2011, Darren is diagnosed with leukemia and has to go live at All Children's Hospital. The father took a leave of absence from work and lived with him while Dorial prepared to be the most coveted football recruit in the country (which he was, Phil Steele said he was the best wide receiver recruit he'd seen since Randy Moss).

Doesn't excuse what Dorial did the night he found out his girl was cheating on him with a teammate. Nothing excuses that. But what I take away from the story is that of the four closest people in his life, two are cancer survivors, one is a football coach and a veritable saint, and the other (an older, adopted brother) played for Army, has finished his service, and has been living with Dorial in Oklahoma to help him stay driven.

Talk to scouts about Dorial Green-Beckham and they don't see someone like Josh Gordon who essentially needs marijuana to function because of some untreated mental health issues. They see a kid that goes with the flow, does what the cool kids do with respect to the marijuana history. Got busted with some other kids for having a little bit of pot on him, then got busted again for being in the presence of a friend who was carrying a pound of weed. Probably has some drug test failures in his time at Missouri.

They see a kid that needed structure and the right crowd around him at Missouri, but didn't really get that. But he did get it at Oklahoma, and he's been both a model worker and model citizen there. He only left for the Draft early because his offensive coordinator with whom he developed a close relationship Jay Norvell left the program.

What I see is a receiver that is probably the most purely physically gifted that I've seen since Calvin Johnson, up there with A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, with the pure potential to exceed them. I also see a kid that has a surprisingly good (considering his origins) support structure around him between his Army brother who is willing to live with him and take an active role keeping him on the straight and narrow, his adoptive parents, and his cancer surviving younger brother.

So I'm looking at all this from an asset valuation standpoint. Taking him is a risk. But every draft pick is fraught with risk. Much of the risk of those picks is tied up in the risk that the player just isn't all that good. I'm not sure that's much of a risk with Dorial Green-Beckham. Some would compare him to a Mike Williams (USC) and I think that's fair because they have/had the same body, much of the same athletic movement, some of the same issues. But Dorial is purely faster and that counts for something. You see enough corners and safeties that you KNOW have 4.50 speed, look absolutely flabberghasted at how to handle Dorial Green-Beckham's speed, well that's why we're making Calvin Johnson comparisons I think.

And it's not just fans saying that. There are a lot of scouts making the exact same statements about he and Calvin Johnson or he and Randy Moss. Albert Breer just had a piece yesterday where he's got quotes from several scouts saying exactly that.

Thanks for the great write up about his past. Sounds like the Juice and him have a lot in common with their troubled childhoods. Could easily see those two developing into great friends in he was drafted by the Fins.

Talk to scouts about Dorial Green-Beckham and they don't see someone like Josh Gordon who essentially needs marijuana to function because of some untreated mental health issues. They see a kid that goes with the flow, does what the cool kids do with respect to the marijuana history. Got busted with some other kids for having a little bit of pot on him, then got busted again for being in the presence of a friend who was carrying a pound of weed. Probably has some drug test failures in his time at Missouri.

They see a kid that needed structure and the right crowd around him at Missouri, but didn't really get that. But he did get it at Oklahoma, and he's been both a model worker and model citizen there. He only left for the Draft early because his offensive coordinator with whom he developed a close relationship Jay Norvell left the program.

Nothing is Dorials fault, he's a model worker and model citizen!

JK

He will def be the talk of the draft, I think he goes top 10, I just don't know to who. Raiders seem like a prime location, Del Rio once did draft Matt Jones based on measurables in the 1st rnd.

the kid has made huge mistakes.... and now a days in the NFL you really have to take that into huge consideration. It doesnt matter that he brushed past, or pushed, or knocked his girl down the stairs with anger... i am not going to debate that because all in all, its not good. RED FLAGS

but yes coaches have taken him in after he was let go by Mizzou (with no on the field issues, and coached seemed to back him up for the most part)... and Oklahoma has allowed him to work with them and have only said good stuff on him as well.

now the kid is a freak athlete, a freak frame, and we will see how he runs and how he produces at the combine, because he may be one of the most important showings thee at the combine due to him not touching the game field for so long, and tape isnt that vast on him. so we will see on this.

I am saying though his physical numbers may match up to Calvin Johnson, he isnt... Johnson was a very polished WR, runs great routes and runs at his speed in games, great footwork and gotta love the hands and ability to catch the ball away from frame at highest points. DGB has a lot to work on with routes, footwork and intricacies from what I have seen from Mizzou (though two years ago).

Now... is he on your board or not? is he on the Dolphins? Its scary cause there are the red flag names that get passed up on and end up being solid or great NFL WRs (even with issues throughout).... but then there are the guys that continue their ways and bust huge becoming nothing but a distraction and awful. DGB is on my list but a question mark is right next to his name still.... I keep going back and forth on thinking if I would risk the pick, if I would want him and such.... I am far from sure right now... thank god the draft is far away still so we can sort things out and figure more out on him.

some of his combine interview:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...reenbeckham-answers-to-allegation-of-violence

just a little clip thang too on him:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...reenbeckham-measures-even-with-calvin-johnson

Last edited by a moderator:
Dez Bryant struck his biological mother....how is that not a similar situation?

The major difference today is the colleges are quicker to react than even 5 years ago because of the major violence stories in the news.

I don't see this kid has a football problem at all....it was maturity issues that need to be evaluated.

If he checks out favorably...and his skillsets check out...you roll those bones.

I'd rather take shot at greatness....than keep drafting safe average type players.

That's a pretty fair point about Dez having allegedly struck his biological mother. Basically the same thing. Only difference is Dez wasn't arrested for pot possession.

Back
Top Bottom