Dorail Green-Beckham | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dorail Green-Beckham

I'll say it right now...if we pass on him I think We'll regret it just like many of us did Randy Moss & Dez Bryant.

I think we also missed out on Earl & Demaryous Thomas the year we traded down for Odrick.

Check the kid out thouroughly....if it looks good...grab him.

Character evaluations are too subjective for it to really be a significant factor. It's all relative to the character of the individual doing the character evaluation in the first place.

A lot of times the character of the NFL executive doing the character evaluation isn't any better to begin with...and that's just based off what you know. Not including what all you don't know.

For example, I don't want people like Jeff Ireland or Jim Irsay or Ray Farmer or Bill Parcells evaluating a player's character for me. No thanks. Hell, I don't want 'em evaluating his ability on the football field either for that matter.

Evaluating a 20-22 year old kid's character is about as reliable as screendoor on a submarine. It's all a facade to give the impression that the NFL really cares about someone's character. They don't care unless they're in a position to be held liable for it.

Character evaluations are too subjective for it to really be a significant factor. It's all relative to the character of the individual doing the character evaluation in the first place.

A lot of times the character of the NFL executive doing the character evaluation isn't any better to begin with...and that's just based off what you know. Not including what all you don't know.

For example, I don't want people like Jeff Ireland or Jim Irsay or Ray Farmer or Bill Parcells evaluating a player's character for me. No thanks. Hell, I don't want 'em evaluating his ability on the football field either for that matter.

Evaluating a 20-22 year old kid's character is about as reliable as screendoor on a submarine. It's all a facade to give the impression that the NFL really cares about someone's character. They don't care unless they're in a position to be held liable for it.

Perfectly said. I don't trust them to make nuanced character calls.

I'm cool with giving a prospect a bonus or a tailwind when it's clear this guy's character is excellent. Tyler Lockette for example been described to me by people that are directly close to him, "doesnt drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't cuss, first one to practice, last to leave, serious christian who's not evasive, 4.0 student in economics...Nicest kid ever..ever..i mean ever...will go to homeless shelters on thanksgiving".

That's pretty cool, and I'm fine putting the wind at a prospect's back so to speak if I feel pretty good that is an accurate depiction of the player's character. Nelson Agholor is another guy I'm comfortable with that way, and it's because I have personal connections to him that vouch for him all the way.

At the same time, I think sometimes there are things that hit you like a punch in the face that this guy is bad news. I've been told directly from scouts in the scouting community that Aaron Hernandez was known, far and wide through the scouting community, to have been involved in a shooting at Florida. This was a known thing. Sometimes there are guys that get kicked off multiple teams, guys that coaches hate and complain about, other blatant signals where if you want to say "I'm avoiding this guy" then that's fine with me. Percy Harvin another example of that.

But you should never do that lightly, IMO. I would be very reluctant and conservative when it comes to making football decisions based on non-football factors. When it's a tough debate, you can see both sides, etc...I would think you err on the side of making the football decision based on the football factors.

Ryan Mallett was brought up in this thread earlier and I find that interesting. The guy was shark attacked endlessly for his character. He's a drug addict. He's bad news. Hangs out with the wrong crowd. He speaks like a white rapper. He used to wear a hoodie at Michigan. I'm not making this up. These were actual criticisms. What's he done since joining the league? Been a model citizen. Model TEAMMATE. Very supportive of his teammates in New England and his teammates there have been very supportive of him. Tweets about family, charity events, etc. Just yesterday Rick Smith the GM of the Texans expressed clear interest in re-signing him and said he's been particularly impressed with his leadership and character traits which he thinks Mallett must have picked up from Tom Brady.

Did some of us get the talent question on Mallett wrong? I think it's safe to say that's probably the case. It happens. Lest we forget some people had "do not draft" grades on Russell Wilson. But the 99% of people out there that constantly attacked the guy on a character basis were also dead wrong.

How can people say the Fins will take guys off the board that have a "history"? Damien Williams and Walt Aikens did. They are about to sign Pouncey longterm.

DGB is incredible talent that IF he seems to have grown up and comes into this thing in great shape, he could be an absolute difference maker at WR.

People are confusing character issues off the field with players that might challenge the HC and his authority. The latter are the ones that need not apply.

People are confusing character issues off the field with players that might challenge the HC and his authority. The latter are the ones that need not apply.

Great point

But at the end of the day, the last two teams he played for, neither ended well for them.

I know, theres tons of excuses, I don't care to hear them again.

How can people say the Fins will take guys off the board that have a "history"? Damien Williams and Walt Aikens did. They are about to sign Pouncey longterm.

DGB is incredible talent that IF he seems to have grown up and comes into this thing in great shape, he could be an absolute difference maker at WR.

Remember, we are talking about using the #14 pick of the draft on this kid. You need an impact guy there. . . and even with character concerns given less merit. . . He hasnt played ball in over a year and honestly, he is a RAW prospect anyway. . the type of guy who come August people are wondering why the **** he isnt playing. We need a guy who can come in and make plays from day 1. Its just not a very smart pick IMO. Doesnt mean it cant work out but I dont think we need to gamble in that slot

Great point

But at the end of the day, the last two teams he played for, neither ended well for them.

I know, theres tons of excuses, I don't care to hear them again.

Except if you talk to Bob Stoops, he would tell you (and has told people) that he perfectly understands DGB's decision and wishes him all the best, has kept his facilities open to the kid, allowing him to work out at Oklahoma's pro day, etc.

The fact the kid has an adoptive mother and younger brother who went through years a piece in cancer treatments and his family therefore has a mountain of medical bills piled up probably has something to do with Stoops' being very understanding of his coming out.

But go on. You have every right to act like a jerk about sh-t you don't know.

Except if you talk to Bob Stoops, he would tell you (and has told people) that he perfectly understands DGB's decision and wishes him all the best, has kept his facilities open to the kid, allowing him to work out at Oklahoma's pro day, etc.

The fact the kid has an adoptive mother and younger brother who went through years a piece in cancer treatments and his family therefore has a mountain of medical bills piled up probably has something to do with Stoops' being very understanding of his coming out.

But go on. You have every right to act like a jerk about sh-t you don't know.

Actually I'm the one here NOT making up **** about stuff I don't know. That's you, doing what you always do, make stuff to support your point. You keep talking about medical bills, 0 proof of that, you play psychologist about what hes thinking and his emotional state, 0 proof of any of that, you've made up entire theories about his arrest based on nothing.

You called him a model citizen, says who? You've even put words in coaches mouth about him, yet i don't see any quotes from.one reliable source on any of it.

All I do is state the facts, I havnt demonized him or praised him. Stating that he was kicked off one team and never played a down for the other team is a fact. You just choose to ignore it because of a man crush.

Remember, we are talking about using the #14 pick of the draft on this kid. You need an impact guy there. . . and even with character concerns given less merit. . . He hasnt played ball in over a year and honestly, he is a RAW prospect anyway. . the type of guy who come August people are wondering why the **** he isnt playing. We need a guy who can come in and make plays from day 1. Its just not a very smart pick IMO. Doesnt mean it cant work out but I dont think we need to gamble in that slot

The concerns are legit but lots not act like very draft pick is a gamble in some way. Look at all of the first round busts…every year it happens. You do your best to limit the potential of that happening, and that includes looking into character and off-field issues. However, Id say its more of a gamble to take a far less talented player just because he is a "cleaner" prospect.

Actually I'm the one here NOT making up **** about stuff I don't know. That's you, doing what you always do, make stuff to support your point. You keep talking about medical bills, 0 proof of that, you play psychologist about what hes thinking and his emotional state, 0 proof of any of that, you've made up entire theories about his arrest based on nothing.

You called him a model citizen, says who? You've even put words in coaches mouth about him, yet i don't see any quotes from.one reliable source on any of it.

All I do is state the facts, I havnt demonized him or praised him. Stating that he was kicked off one team and never played a down for the other team is a fact. You just choose to ignore it because of a man crush.

LOL. What a bunch of horse sh-t. What I *know* is that Bob Stoops is very supportive and understanding about DGB's decision to enter early, because he's flat out SAID so. What I *know* is that DGB's adoptive mother went through years of treatment for thyroid cancer, and then his blood brother Darren went through years worth of hospital care for leukemia not long after she finished her treatments. I also know they live in America, not Canada or France. So yeah, I'm pretty damn sure they're up to their eyeballs in medical debt.

It's funny how you're trying to claim that you're only stating the facts and not reading anything into them. It's such horse sh-t because you're very clearly implying that DGB made a selfish decision to come out of Oklahoma before having played for them. You don't know a damn thing about his circumstances but you're implying that anyway, like an asshole. You haven't demonized him? The hell you haven't.

LOL. What a bunch of horse sh-t. What I *know* is that Bob Stoops is very supportive and understanding about DGB's decision to enter early, because he's flat out SAID so. What I *know* is that DGB's adoptive mother went through years of treatment for thyroid cancer, and then his blood brother Darren went through years worth of hospital care for leukemia not long after she finished her treatments. I also know they live in America, not Canada or France. So yeah, I'm pretty damn sure they're up to their eyeballs in medical debt.

It's funny how you're trying to claim that you're only stating the facts and not reading anything into them. It's such horse sh-t because you're very clearly implying that DGB made a selfish decision to come out of Oklahoma before having played for them. You don't know a damn thing about his circumstances but you're implying that anyway, like an asshole. You haven't demonized him? The hell you haven't.

guys gotta relax before you end up going doing DGB stuff off the forum!!!

There goes ck making stuff up again, I'm not implying jack ****, I simply stated the truth.

Two teams put there faith in him, used resources in him, and both teams got burned. These are indisputable facts.

As for his medical bills, your making assumptions,you don't have a clue what they are or if they even exist, Foster parents in the USA are generally dirt poor, and the poor in this country generally don't end up paying those kinds of medical bills. But you don't see me saying he probably doesn't have bills, I don't know, neither do you, so stop making **** up.

If bob stoops wants to be publicly supportive of him I can care less, he wasted his time and his teams time with DGB, that's all there is to it.

And who are you to call me an asshole? Just because I disagree about an evaluation of a player? I hate to tell you but the players you've supported over the years all suck, weeden sucks, ponder sucks, pats spent mallets whole career trying to trade him and still only got a 7th rnd pick, Patterson also sucks, seastrunk wasn't even drafted!

Get off your ****ing high horse with your personal insults, I can play that game too.

If the kid is serious about making a turnaround, I am all about redemption and second chances.

There goes ck making stuff up again, I'm not implying jack ****, I simply stated the truth.

Two teams put there faith in him, used resources in him, and both teams got burned. These are indisputable facts.

As for his medical bills, your making assumptions,you don't have a clue what they are or if they even exist, Foster parents in the USA are generally dirt poor, and the poor in this country generally don't end up paying those kinds of medical bills. But you don't see mue saying he probably doesn't have bills, I don't know, neither do you, so stop making **** up.

If bob stoops wants to be publicly supportive of him I can care less, he wasted his time and his teams time with DGB, that's all there is to it.

And who are you to call me an asshole? Just because I disagree about an evaluation of a player? I hate to tell you but the players you've supported over the years all suck, weeden sucks, ponder sucks, pats spent mallets whole career trying to trade him and still only got a 7th rnd pick, Patterson also sucks, seastrunk wasn't even drafted!

Get off your ****ing high horse with your personal insults, I can play that game too.

The only assumptions I see being made here are by you....you are assuming you know why when you don't.

You are generalizing....and you can miss out on some amazing talent that way.

Back
Top Bottom