Dorail Green-Beckham | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dorail Green-Beckham

Do you guys remember Yatil Green??? Ted Ginn, Jr.? Green was taken by us at #15, and Ginn at #9.Eventually one of these first round receivers with last names starting with a G will work out for us big time.

The only assumptions I see being made here are by you....you are assuming you know why when you don't.

You are generalizing....and you can miss out on some amazing talent that way.

I never generalized anything or assumed I know anything, you can check my history, I've said numerous times he's a top talent in this draft, and I'd take him in a heartbeat if he checked out.

But the NFL is a no excuse league, and its a much more strict league, I'm not going to ignore Obvious holes in his history just because I like his talent, especially when you consider were trying to replace one bad attitude at WR.

I don't know why this is so hard to comprehend.

I never generalized anything or assumed I know anything, you can check my history, I've said numerous times he's a top talent in this draft, and I'd take him in a heartbeat if he checked out.

But the NFL is a no excuse league, and its a much more strict league, I'm not going to ignore Obvious holes in his history just because I like his talent, especially when you consider were trying to replace one bad attitude at WR.

I don't know why this is so hard to comprehend.

Conversely.....no one has said draft him without doing due diligence....I don't know where you got that idea or why thats so hard to comprehend?

Last edited by a moderator:
The concerns are legit but lots not act like very draft pick is a gamble in some way. Look at all of the first round busts…every year it happens. You do your best to limit the potential of that happening, and that includes looking into character and off-field issues. However, Id say its more of a gamble to take a far less talented player just because he is a "cleaner" prospect.

DGB is certainly talented, I don't think anybody is denying that. But there are A LOT of hurdles, lack of film and experience . . . and my goodness is he raw. He is not really a "fit" for this offense to begin with . . . guys like this usually take 'a few' years to take off and reach their higher potential levels, if they ever do. You combine all that, with the character issues . . . . it's not a "smart decision" at 14.
"Far less talented" . . . I think at this stage, especially when talking Cooper, DGB and White, there is no such thing as "far less talented".

Conversely.....no one has said draft him without doing due diligence....I don't where you got that idea or why thats so hard to comprehend?

Due diligence is kind of a cop out in this situation. There is already A LOT there . . . stuff that people choose to ignore because of measureables. Even if he interviews well and "nothing else" pops up . . . it's a risk based on how raw he is and the type of WR he'd be for the Miami Dolphins and Ryan Tannehill. I just look at Kevin White and I see a guy who isn't as tall, but is a better route runner, has better hands, tremendous ball skills and is a better fit for Ryan Tannehill.

I'll say this, if we selected him at 14, I'd feel good about it, because it means we worked him out, sat with him, and all things on the table we felt good about drafting him at 14. That's my team making a decision on a great talent . . . . but projecting it now, I don't see that being the case. Definitely not at 14.

If the kid is serious about making a turnaround, I am all about redemption and second chances.

That's great, I'm pretty sure he'll tell Miami the same thing.

Miami won't know either way until well after he's been drafted and playing for the team. It's all a guess so you HAVE to factor in history. This is the 14th overall pick in the draft and you know as good as anybody that our organization, from the coach to the lack of leaders in that lockerroom, is not necessarily built to take in a guy like DGB and place him in the best surroundings to help him reach his highest potential.

There is a lot to like, I agree, but again he's not on my board for #14.

DGB is certainly talented, I don't think anybody is denying that. But there are A LOT of hurdles, lack of film and experience . . . and my goodness is he raw. He is not really a "fit" for this offense to begin with . . . guys like this usually take 'a few' years to take off and reach their higher potential levels, if they ever do. You combine all that, with the character issues . . . . it's not a "smart decision" at 14.
"Far less talented" . . . I think at this stage, especially when talking Cooper, DGB and White, there is no such thing as "far less talented".

I see the arguments and respect that opinion…no doubt…I just see the risk tilting the other way. Thats what makes it fun though.
When I said far less talented I was talking about other options at 14….Cooper and White will be long gone by then. Some like Parker more than me…but the talent drop off from DGB, White, and Cooper to everyone else is significant IMO. There are a lot of WRs I like that I think will be good players…but not elite talents.

I see the arguments and respect that opinion…no doubt…I just see the risk tilting the other way. Thats what makes it fun though.
When I said far less talented I was talking about other options at 14….Cooper and White will be long gone by then. Some like Parker more than me…but the talent drop off from DGB, White, and Cooper to everyone else is significant IMO. There are a lot of WRs I like that I think will be good players…but not elite talents.

To be fair, I didn't realize that White was being considered higher than Miami's slot (I knew Cooper was top 10 for sure) . . . I've been working a lot and have a day off to enjoy the combine and talk some football.

I still don't think he's a good pick for us at 14 all things considered . . . but the great thing with the draft is you just don't know who's going to be available when we draft. I do look forward to following the coverage on DGB and other guys for the next 2 months and see how workouts and pro days go.

I am sold on the talent after watching the combine. Makes it all look easy. If his off field checks out I would have no problem with him @ 14. Though if his off field checks out, he may not even sniff 14.

Adding him to the mix, I am confident one if the top 4 WR will be there when we pick if we chose to go that direction. Definitely will have options and it's looking Like WR will have good value.

IF DGB does go top 10 which I seriously doubt, then some other really good players are getting pushed down. Other receivers, pass rushers and DT like Danny Shelton….someone has to be there of value.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Due diligence is kind of a cop out in this situation. There is already A LOT there . . . stuff that people choose to ignore because of measureables. Even if he interviews well and "nothing else" pops up . . . it's a risk based on how raw he is and the type of WR he'd be for the Miami Dolphins and Ryan Tannehill. I just look at Kevin White and I see a guy who isn't as tall, but is a better route runner, has better hands, tremendous ball skills and is a better fit for Ryan Tannehill.

I'll say this, if we selected him at 14, I'd feel good about it, because it means we worked him out, sat with him, and all things on the table we felt good about drafting him at 14. That's my team making a decision on a great talent . . . . but projecting it now, I don't see that being the case. Definitely not at 14.

I just think when you read the kid's story I am filled with empathy not that he is a criminal in waiting.

I am sold on the talent after watching the combine. Makes it all look easy. If his off field checks out I would have no problem with him @ 14. Though if his off field checks out, he may not even sniff 14.

Adding him to the mix, I am confident one if the top 4 WR will be there when we pick if we chose to go that direction. Definitely will have options and it's looking Like WR will have good value.

Why do people keep saying this . . . the off the field stuff isn't going to disappear . . . it's there. Who is taking him top 10? Maybe Al Davis (RIP) but his 40 time probably isn't fast enough for that.

Seriously, the guy is very RAW and reasonable expectations give him 2 years minimum to put it all together.

NFL Network did a great comparison . . . Vincent Jackson. Took VJax season 4 to put it all together, with Rivers/Brees throwing him passes. Raw former basketball players, even more impressive measureables than DGB and a clean background with Army parents. He went 61st overall.

Top 10 talk is just insane and just over dramatic at this point.

IF DGB does go top 10 which I seriously doubt, then some other really good players are getting pushed down. Other receivers, pass rushers and DT like Danny Shelton….someone has to be there of value.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

I just think when you read the kid's story I am filled with empathy not that he is a criminal in waiting.

All these kids have a story man . . . many of which involved far more intimidating surroundings and circumstances than DGB. The fact that those kids can make it without incidents and DGB has several of them . . . shouldn't be a precursor to his future but definitely gives people reason to have some concern. You can't just make his past disappear because you like the guys potential.

This top 15 stuff is nonsense to me . . . Dez went in the 20's, Percy in the 20's . . . I mean he was nowhere near as polished or as impressive of a prospect as those 2 guys with off the field issues and people wanna overdraft him at 14? I know we are desperate to get the QB a big target and in turn **** on Mike Wallace . . . . but out of all the WRs in the first 2 rounds, DGB probably is the worst fit for this team and the best chance of being the least impactful guy on the field.

All these kids have a story man . . . many of which involved far more intimidating surroundings and circumstances than DGB. The fact that those kids can make it without incidents and DGB has several of them . . . shouldn't be a precursor to his future but definitely gives people reason to have some concern. You can't just make his past disappear because you like the guys potential.

This top 15 stuff is nonsense to me . . . Dez went in the 20's, Percy in the 20's . . . I mean he was nowhere near as polished or as impressive of a prospect as those 2 guys with off the field issues and people wanna overdraft him at 14? I know we are desperate to get the QB a big target and in turn **** on Mike Wallace . . . . but out of all the WRs in the first 2 rounds, DGB probably is the worst fit for this team and the best chance of being the least impactful guy on the field.

The difference to me is the physical tools DGB was born with. Height (3" taller than Dez), speed (not great but definitely adequate), and soft hands (I will give Dez the edge on this one). DGB has the measurable to be special.

Even the analysts on NFL network talked about his talent and production without the refinement and coaching he will get in he NFL. They mentioned just sending him out and throwing the ball his way and DGB just coming down with it. This is where the immediate value is, in the red zone. And as he develops he will become more of a threat and weapon on every down.

Back
Top Bottom