Draft baker mayfield otherwise go grab a "2nd tier qb" later on..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft baker mayfield otherwise go grab a "2nd tier qb" later on.....

NYC#1finsfan

Active Roster
Reaction score
It seems that the chemistry between Coach Gase and Baker is very good from what I've read. If Baker is available at #11 you take him and run a dynamic offense with RT and have an insurance policy against injury. Otherwise in my opinion you wait and draft one of the Notre Dame O-Linemen at 11 and wait to draft a "2nd tier QB in the 2nd or 3rd round with Osweiler as insurance against injury. No I wouldn't be mad if Vea is the pick at 11 though 7 and 1/2 sacks isn't exactly power material warranting such a high draft pick inmho. I'm open to other suggestions though the Guard at ND is a special player.;)

So is the other option, assuming Nelson is gone, the Notre Dame Tackle Mcglinchey? I don’t know if he’s quite worth that high of a pick. I do like him as a player though

So is the other option, assuming Nelson is gone, the Notre Dame Tackle Mcglinchey? I don’t know if he’s quite worth that high of a pick. I do like him as a player though

That's a tough call because like you said #11 is a bit high for Mcglinchey according to all of the scouts though he seems to be a "can't miss" prospect. The Dolphins would have to be in love with him to draft him that high.

If we are going to go O-line like if that is the full on plan then we are trading back to get more picks.

IMO Nelson is the only guy worth a top half of 1st round grade. Hernandez, Price, Wynn, Ragnow (admittedly personal favorite) all are late 1st or early 2nd and I wouldn't be totally upset with those if we were able to get an additional 2nd to fill more gaps.

But we cannot really focus in the offensive line that early unless a Nelson falls to us, simply put he makes 4 positions better (G, QB, WR, RB) so he would be a no brainier.

The defense has more holes and needs more youth and with where we stand now we will have the ability to pick a player to fill a hole and be impactful.

LB or Safety is the pick, you can get a DT later unless you have one as a generational guy to take at 11.

My guess is Edmunds, Esch (both can be SLB imo which is what we need) or Smith (MLB and move Mcmillian to SLB) in the 1st and the safety kid from Stanford (Reid) or the kid from Northwestern in the 2nd. Maybe Hurst falls due to age to the 3rd total dream I'm probably looking RB there and then go DT with the forth.

I would love James in the 1st but the drop off from him to the next guys isn't as significant as the drop off from the top 2/3 LBs to the next group so grab one of those elite guys at LB and a 2nd tier safety.

Last edited:
530, I agree with everything you said but don't you think we need to snag a QB somewhere between 2-4 rounds. If, for example, Mason Rudolph is there at #42, what do you do? I run the card up there!!!!!!!!

I don't see us drafting o-line at 11. I think it's either Mayfield, a LB or a safety.......or moving down
Yup. Has to be.

Mayfield.
Edmunds.
Smith.
James.
Fitzpatrick.

There should be no other options. If all of them are gone then I'd trade all the way back into the 20s to get an extra 2 and 3. I'd target Jackson, LVE, Hernandez, and Evans there with an eye on Gesicki/Goedert at 42 and Reid with the other 2nd acquired via trade down.

Last edited:
Cameron Wake - DL - Dolphins
The Dolphins could extend DE Cameron Wake this offseason.

Wake is in a walk year after signing a two-year deal last February. The Dolphins want to lock him up through 2019 and could get something done before training camp. Wake is the second highest paid 4-3 end at $9.1M annually.

Cameron Wake - DL - Dolphins
The Dolphins could extend DE Cameron Wake this offseason.

Wake is in a walk year after signing a two-year deal last February. The Dolphins want to lock him up through 2019 and could get something done before training camp. Wake is the second highest paid 4-3 end at $9.1M annually.

Would love for wake to be a dolphin for life

I wouldn't Draft Mayfield if there's a chance to get Rudolph in the second, 11th pick should be traded for the 15th pick, and possibly get Nelson or Derwin James

I don't have the source however a friend of mine said that he read somewhere that Marino is enamored with Mayfield, for whatever that is worth...............

I wouldn't Draft Mayfield if there's a chance to get Rudolph in the second, 11th pick should be traded for the 15th pick, and possibly get Nelson or Derwin James

There is absolutely no comparison between Mayfield and Rudolph. One quarterback has a chance to become a franchise quarterback, the other is destined to be a career backup.

Well if we are in a win now Mayfield is off the table unless he is considered the next Marino.

Back
Top Bottom