Draft Comparisons...Wolf vs Mueller vs Ruskell vs Savage (WARNING BIG) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Comparisons...Wolf vs Mueller vs Ruskell vs Savage (WARNING BIG)

Good research something you rarely see on this site. Thanks.

Looking over that it seems Mueller dosnt draft that well in the secondary. Shawn Springs and Fred Thomas are the only 2 corners that have worked out and I dont see any safty's.

Every now and then we'll get some really good data and information on this site. This is up there with Clumpy's cap room posts and Boomer's draft evaluation. Good stuff.

If Mueller has a weakness, it is drafting secondary. But, I think the idea here is that Nick Saban knows defensive backs, and Saban's direction on that matter will make up for Mueller's shortcomings.

ckparrothead said:
If Mueller has a weakness, it is drafting secondary. But, I think the idea here is that Nick Saban knows defensive backs, and Saban's direction on that matter will make up for Mueller's shortcomings.

Thats what I was thinking as well. I would guess that Saban evaluates db prospects beter than any other position since he came up as a db coach. I aslo have to hope that Saban is able to continue to draft well late since it seems Randy drafts VERY well early but dosnt hit on much after the 4th round.(the notable exeption being Bulger) I know Saban puts real emphisis on drafting well late for developmental type player which he seems to have done well with in last years draft. Sure hope it continues.

Saban is going to be doing most of the heavy lifting anyway... These upcomming drafts (next 4-5+ years) will reflect Saban, not Mueller.

CK thanks for the research its awsome...:up:

I am still chewing on all this info...

Hostile7 said:
Saban is going to be doing most of the heavy lifting anyway... These upcomming drafts (next 4-5+ years) will reflect Saban, not Mueller.

I doubt that somewhat. Saban will basically get all his info from Meuller especially on the 1st and 2nd round picks where Meuller shines.

I think Saban did the heavy lifting last year, and he will do the heavy lifting this year, and maybe a little bit next year, but after that his knowledge of the personnel landscape at the college level will be waning, so he'll be relying much more heavily upon Mueller.

Look at the first draft. Ronnie Brown, Matt Roth, Channing Crowder, Travis Daniels, and Kevin Vickerson were all players that Saban or his staff had direct experience with. The only exception was Anthony Alabi, who Hudson Houck had done most of the scouting work on. I don't think our second draft will be as dramatically geared towards guys that Saban knows as the first draft was, but I think it will still be about 2/3rds made up of guys that Saban has some experience with. Each year that percentage will be waning until Mueller really is doing all the heavy lifting himself.

Jaj said:
I doubt that somewhat. Saban will basically get all his info from Meuller especially on the 1st and 2nd round picks where Meuller shines.
I think Mueller's imput will be important, but until the SEC is picked clean of all players that Saban knows and has tried to recruit over the years, we'll see Saban doing most of the work, IMO.

Hostile7 said:
I think Mueller's imput will be important, but until the SEC is picked clean of all players that Saban knows and has tried to recruit over the years, we'll see Saban doing most of the work, IMO.

Not just the SEC my friend. Saban had a hand in decisions on Matt Roth and Kevin Vickerson too, and Roth was a guy he played against once and who was coached by someone Saban esteems very highly (Kirk Ferentz), and wasn't Vickerson originally recruited by Saban and then played under Bobby Williams?

Looking at this draft though...man it was obvious that Spielman was a dead man walking. Every single player drafted was someone that Saban or one of his subordinates had a direct hand in evaluating. Ronnie Brown, Travis Daniels, and Channing Crowder were guys that Saban knew very well. Matt Roth was a guy that Saban knew somewhat and who was evaluated extensively by Dan Quinn. Kevin Vickerson played under Bobby Williams at one time. Anthony Alabi was scouted heavily by Hudson Houck. Basically, it looks on the outset like Saban and his staff rendered Rick Spielman into nothing more than a simple pencil-pushing spreadsheet compiler.

Ck do you happen to know how our scouting department stacks up against other teams? You never realy hear the scouts talked about and I would be glad to hear any thought you or anyone else have on them.

bump...for folks to remember along with Saban, our other coaches, and our GM have a solid reputation in evaluating talent and will continue to select the best player to fit our needs.....nice job CK.

Back
Top Bottom