Draft order rules | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft order rules

No, because it’s the reality of the situation.
It's conjecture, and it based on a 30 year-old comparison that ignores advances in medical response and treatment. Yes AVN is a possible outcome but the references to Bo Jackson as in Tua has the same chance of suffering a similar fate are just scaremongering. My point is that Bo Jackson should not be the go-to explanation for Tua's situation. It's a lazy comparison and it's not the reality.

I notice nobody has mentioned Brett Favre's AVN and the fact that he failed his initial Packers medical on the grounds that he could only have four years to play football. Favre said when he was still playing that "I don't have as much flexibility in that socket" and "it bothers me from time to time", and yet when Tua states that it's likely he won't have as much flexibility in the hip it's suddenly a reason to doubt he can ever play the game again. I guess it doesn't fit the narrative; I mean look at some of the comments and language in this and other threads. "lucky to walk again", "career is over", "a successful combine would be turning up and being able to stand unaided", it's just waffle. I mean MRSA has been raised in this thread, why is Tua suddenly more susceptible to MRSA than anyone other player that has surgery? Should we start writing off players who break their leg just because of what has happened to Alex Smith?

Last edited:
Thanks giants for rescuing defeat from the jaws of victory last night

It's conjecture, and it based on a 30 year-old comparison that ignores advances in medical response and treatment. Yes AVN is a possible outcome but the references to Bo Jackson as in Tua has the same chance of suffering a similar fate are just scaremongering. My point is that Bo Jackson should not be the go-to explanation for Tua's situation. It's a lazy comparison and it's not the reality.

I notice nobody has mentioned Brett Favre's AVN and the fact that he failed his initial Packers medical on the grounds that he could only have four years to play football. Favre said when he was still playing that "I don't have as much flexibility in that socket" and "it bothers me from time to time", and yet when Tua states that it's likely he won't have as much flexibility in the hip it's suddenly a reason to doubt he can ever play the game again. I guess it doesn't fit the narrative; I mean look at some of the comments and language in this and other threads. "lucky to walk again", "career is over", "a successful combine would be turning up and being able to stand unaided", it's just waffle. I mean MRSA has been raised in this thread, why is Tua suddenly more susceptible to MRSA than anyone other player that has surgery? Should we start writing off players who break their leg just because of what has happened to Alex Smith?

dude, please, get over yourself. Unless youre medical MD who specializes in this just stop. The MD who explained this whole process gets my respect On this subject. I’m sick and tired of drafting the Dion Jordan’s of the world who come out of the draft already injured but draft them because “they’re so talented”
for once can we go after the healthy guy.
if Tua gets a complete bill of health then I consider it.

dude, please, get over yourself. Unless youre medical MD who specializes in this just stop. The MD who explained this whole process gets my respect On this subject. I’m sick and tired of drafting the Dion Jordan’s of the world who come out of the draft already injured but draft them because “they’re so talented”
You're right, the guy's an expert. I can't disagree with a number of things he said:

- Historically 25% of athletes haven't come back from similar injuries, but it's only a small sample size (eight athletes) as it's a rare situation, and with modern medicine/treatment the percentage of those who don't come back would probably be smaller. The study/data is years old so the chance of not coming back now probably less than 1 in 4.

- He has six months to get over the serious hurdles, and if he does that he'll be fine, and it's likely he will get over those hurdles given the quality of treatment he has available.

- It could take him two years to be ready, six months to one year to rehab and one year to 'prove he's agile', but he could be wrong and it could be one year, but he definitely won't be ready for the draft (I don't think anyone has said he would be).

- By the time of the draft there might be enough time (6 months from the injury) to confirm if he has likely suffered from AVN or Chondrolysis, and if at that point there was no indication of those conditions he would be happy to advise a team that it would be OK to draft him.

- If his tests at the draft show no AVN or Chondrolysis and you draft him you might have him at the tail end of the year, but it's likely he sits for a year.

- Right now he would say that Tua's chances are very good of being able to play in the NFL, but that he won't know for sure until 4-6 months from now.

- He's 'not that vulnerable' to injury; if he is then he's vulnerable because of his position and how he plays, not because of his body. He's 'not a bad body kid, he's a good body kid'.

- Injury is worse than Bo Jackson's (an 8/10), but they got to him right away and operated right away, which gives him a much better chance. The issue with Bo Jackson is that he developed AVN.

- Whether he should be taken depends on how good a 'drop-back QB' he can be, as his 'running days are over' (was Tua ever a running QB?).

- This injury is worse than blowing out a knee as it's unpredictable - you can do everything right and still develop complications and issues.

- Probably has a 90% chance of returning fully, but will know for sure in the next 6 months.

- 'Absolutely yes' the teams looking at drafting him will have a decent amount of information at that point to make the decision.

- Wouldn't recommend he works out for any teams before the draft.

I don't think I've contradicted or disagreed with any of this, it seems like a reasonable and measured assessment, unlike some of **** posted here. MRSA FFS.

Last edited:

Number one it ain't your CALL to consider

Number 2 Did the MD you sat down with tell you that Bo Jackson didn't think he had more than a hip pointer and played on that same hip while Tua's med staff was johnny on the spot and reduced or reset the hip in the stadium BEFORE Tua was airlifted out.

“It’s all very time-critical,” Dr. Walt Lowe, the chief of orthopaedic surgery at Memorial Hermann, told the Montgomery Advertiser of Tagovailoa’s surgery Monday morning. “I think that the kid’s getting great care and we all hope it turns out the best for him.”

I only wish we could flame posters like this like days of the past

Number one it ain't your CALL to consider

Number 2 Did the MD you sat down with tell you that Bo Jackson didn't think he had more than a hip pointer and played on that same hip while Tua's med staff was johnny on the spot and reduced or reset the hip in the stadium BEFORE Tua was airlifted out.

“It’s all very time-critical,” Dr. Walt Lowe, the chief of orthopaedic surgery at Memorial Hermann, told the Montgomery Advertiser of Tagovailoa’s surgery Monday morning. “I think that the kid’s getting great care and we all hope it turns out the best for him.”

I only wish we could flame posters like this like days of the past

Ha, dumb post and response. It’s not your call to consider either. Last time I checked this was a forum. I’ve read your posts and most times you don’t have a clue as to what’s going on so you should get off your high horse and let everyone express their own opinions.
Believe me, you couldn’t flame anything, you don’t have the knowledge as most posters here. Welcome to my ignore list, youre only the second poster to reach that destination. Really, don’t take yourself so seriously next, then maybe everyone just might take you seriously

Back
Top Bottom