Draft, Schedule, Free agency: An early Dolphins look ahead to 2016 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft, Schedule, Free agency: An early Dolphins look ahead to 2016

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
WEDNESDAY BUZZ COLUMN

Since this Dolphins’ season is on its death bed, it’s never too early for a CliffsNotes peek-ahead to what awaits in 2016:

### Draft: If the draft were held today, Miami would pick sixth. And as long as the Dolphins stay in the top 15 (likely), they should be in good position to add a linebacker or cornerback --- two areas of need – or perhaps a defensive end, with Cameron Wakecoming off an Achilles’ injury and Olivier Vernon and Derrick Shelby impending unrestricted free agents.

Here are the draft-eligible players that ESPN’s Mel Kiper ranks, in order, as his top 10: Mississippi defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche, Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa, California quarterback Jared Goff, Mississippi offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, FSU cornerback/safety Jalen Ramsey, Florida cornerback Vernon Hargreaves, Notre Dame outside linebacker Jaylon Smith, Oregon defensive end DeForest Buckner, Alabama defensive tackle A’Shawn Robinson and UCLA defensive tackle Kenny Clark.

Here are Kiper's 11th through 16th prospects: Notre Dame offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley, UCLA linebacker Myles Jack, Virginia Tech cornerback Kendall Fuller, Michigan State offensive tackle Jack Conklin, Southern California linebacker Su’a Cravens and LSU cornerback Tre’Davious White.
From a Dolphins perspective, that’s two defensive ends, three linebackers and four cornerbacks. Kiper believes FSU’s Ramsey, who had been a safety before this season, is well equipped for corner.

ESPN’s Todd McShay has 12 of Kiper’s top 16 in his own top 16. The four that McShay lists that Kiper doesn’t: Alabama defensive tackle Jarran Reed (seventh), Mississippi receiver Laquon Treadwell (12th), Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee (14th) and Ohio State receiver Michael Thomas (16th).
But the Dolphins doesn’t need a receiver and they cannot justify taking a defensive tackle in the first round, even if they part ways with Earl Mitchell.

Incidentally, all of the 20 aforementioned top prospects are undeclared draft-eligible underclassmen except Reed, Stanley and Buckner.

### 2016 schedule: Besides AFC East opponents, the Dolphins will play host to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Arizona, San Francisco and the comparable finisher in the AFC South (perhaps Tennessee).

The Dolphins’ out-of-division road schedule will feature Baltimore, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Seattle and the comparable finisher in the AFC West (San Diego if the Dolphins and Chargers finish last in their divisions).

That schedule doesn’t look overwhelmingly difficult, aside from visits to Seattle and Cincinnati, but it’s moot if the Dolphins are again as dismal in AFC East play as they’ve been this season.

### Free agency: The Dolphins have six starters who will be unrestricted free agents: Vernon, Shelby (became a starter after Wake’s injury), Lamar Miller, Rishard Matthews, Kelvin Sheppard, plus injured starter Louis Delmas. The Dolphins are expected to try to keep Vernon and Miller, at least.
Also impending unrestricted free agents: Matt Moore, Spencer Paysinger, Jeff Linkenbach. Jordan Kovacs is restricted, and five are exclusive rights free agents (making it simple to keep these players): Michael Thomas, Mike Hull, Ulrick John, Matt Hazel and Jake Stoneburner.

The Dolphins can clear out $45 million in space if they restructure Ndamukong Suhand Ryan Tannehill, cut Greg Jennings and restructure Jordan Cameron. Space would top $50 million if they cut Earl Mitchell and Koa Misi, and they can clear out nearly $60 million if they cut Mitchell and Misi and restructure Brent Grimes and Cam Wake.

If all four of those players are cut, as well as Jennings and Cameron, and if Suh and Tannehill are restructured, then cap space would top $70 million. (Not that we're advocating that, but merely presenting the possibilities.)
### Coach: The Dolphins have interest in Saints coach Sean Payton and will consider Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, UCLA coach Jim Mora and others.

### Quick note: The Dolphins say lineup changes are in the works, and they quietly made one on Sunday: benching safety Walt Aikens (no snaps) and instead playing Shamiel Gary (15) as Thomas’ backup.... Please see the last post for four Dolphins roster moves from today.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-to-2016-um-coaching-search-nuggets-heat.html

Sad, but this article gets me a bit excited for what is ahead. We should be talking about playoff possibilities, match ups and tiebreakers. That said, I still think this team is close once a philosophy and vision is laid out.

Jackson is throwing names out for possible coaches. I like all three of those. I always forget Mora and I do not think he'd leave, but he has the attitude to challenge some players while at the same time having energy to kick start some confidence in this franchise. Very smart defensive guy.

Hey hayden that's a great picture of you and your wife.
I'm with you. Appreciate the post by brother Albert but it's sad to already be talking cap space and draft position :boohoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's a sad reality we need to talk about the draft, but that's where we are. Before we plunge entirely into that though I do want to say how proud I am of Campbell for benching Aikens pathetic ass. Should have happened a few games sooner, but the important thing is he made the change unlike the Philbin era who played Wheeler far longer than any sane person should. If we were a better organization with the resources and stability to support Campbell as he learns then we'd have a special HC on our hands in a few years.

If there's any positive to this dumpster fire of a season it's that we'll have a legit shot at Jalen Ramsey which was a pie in the sky notion before the year. He's perfect for us. He's a dynamic playmaker who can provide true leadership to a defense which has been starved for it.

If we were a better organization with the resources and stability to support Campbell as he learns then we'd have a special HC on our hands in a few years.

Agree but he's getting valuable experience good and bad so I think somewhere down the road he'll get another opportunity at the head spot somewhere. Definitely has the right attitude for the job.

Something to look forward too. I wanted to renew my season tickets to experience the new stadium, but they will have to sell a huge cup of poo as pudding for me to invest my money in this team.

The best part of being a Miami fan is the off season. It's the time when were finally done losing, and we have so many needs there is always something to talk about.

To start things off, Sean Payton is a must hire IMO. We need a HC with head coaching experience experience, and one who has won. Payton knows how to run a team.

I think the thing that's the most exciting about this offseason is the possibility of major MAJOR change. I'm talking coaches, players, GM, infrastructure...the works.

Part of what we have been complaining about for years is the lack of any wholesale changes. This team doesn't need tweaks, it needs Bruce Willis to throw a lighter over his shoulder and slo mo walk away from it as it blows up behind him.

Thankfully this season was the first time I got the inkling Ross was just fed up with everything and was finally ready to truly admit defeat and embrace change. Fingers crossed we can get an experienced head coach and that happens.

No way I'd pick a guard with the first pick. Should be plenty of options available in the middle rounds or sign a free agent or two. We definitely need depth on the line as well.

I'm looking at CB or LB with the first pick. We need studs at both of the positions. DT is a possibility, but if there is a strong Corner Back or Linebacker on the board, who we like, I take him.

With the Head Coach, whoever we decide on should have previous HC experience, as well as access to good offensive and defensive coordinators. We will need all these things in the coming months.....

CB and LB in the draft…along with DE. If you are that high up and a prime QB prospect is there, you have to draft that kid. I just think those two QB's are going one and two and Miami will not be there so the point is moot. I do think Miami will pick five when it is over.

Back
Top Bottom