Draft Strategy following early free Agency | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Strategy following early free Agency

Corn are expensive positions too. Im with you on OL though fwiw. Stoked if we go G/T, CB, DL. So far in FA it looks like Grier is shoring up some holes, he always has a surprise play though.
I wouldn’t be mad if we went with two OL to start. Like one of the top centers, and then the maybe the tackle from Yale in round two. Potential starter at LT later on but either could play guard - center maybe more of a long term investment past brewer. Better to have more depth than not

I’d love to come out with 2 OL and 1 DL from the first two days. Would need a trade down obv.

I wouldn’t be mad if we went with two OL to start. Like one of the top centers, and then the maybe the tackle from Yale in round two. Potential starter at LT later on but either could play guard - center maybe more of a long term investment past brewer. Better to have more depth than not

I’d love to come out with 2 OL and 1 DL from the first two days. Would need a trade down obv.
I love it. I just think Grier does dumb sh*t in the draft. I'm pretty sure theres some scout in the department, not sure which region, he swears by.

Draft is not for the present, but goddam if we don't "presently" need a lot of positions right now because of Grier (and Ross).

I wanted to trade down but the only options I had we would have had to trade down too far. We got the best DT Murphy and best OG Haynes in the draft. Then I adressed DE with Cedric Johnson. I know RB isn't a big need but thought Guerendo was too good to pass up, he averaged 6.1 YPC in 2023, he measured 6'0 220 lbs at the combine and ran a 4.33. Mostert and Achane were freqently injured last year and this might be Mosterts last season with the Dolphins. Jacobs would make Duke Riley expendable and Nugent gives OL depth. PFN_Draft_result_1710382085427.png

I love it. I just think Grier does dumb sh*t in the draft. I'm pretty sure theres some scout in the department, not sure which region, he swears by.

Draft is not for the present, but goddam if we don't "presently" need a lot of positions right now because of Grier (and Ross).
Present needs that solve future problems too

Don't expect to fill holes with the draft... Instead, pick the best players available that play expensive positions.
In this case, we have holes everywhere so that strategy should work nicely. ;) Strength of the draft lines up nicely with two of them at OT (who we can kick inside at left guard to learn from Armstead and eventually take over at LT next year?), and WR to give us that 3rd WR. A great Cornerback is needed, as is an Edge rusher. All premium positions. If there is a great Dtackle, that is also needed.

Point is, BPA at any of those positions would be great…

Not sure I'm going edge this year. We have Chubb and plan on keeping Phillips (🤞). Can wait till next, but yeah, it comes down to positional value. EDGE is another one you have to draft till you get it right, which I think we did, but need more than one. Lock Phillips in, continue on after Chubb. Just my humble opinion that means nothing 😭
Normally, I would agree with you regarding edge, but I'm a bit concerned about Phillips and Chubb and their availability early in the season. If they aren't fully back until sometime in October (speculating) then we will need some help in this area if we can't find a value nugget in free agency

In this case, we have holes everywhere so that strategy should work nicely. ;) Strength of the draft lines up nicely with two of them at OT (who we can kick inside at left guard to learn from Armstead and eventually take over at LT next year?), and WR to give us that 3rd WR. A great Cornerback is needed, as is an Edge rusher. All premium positions. If there is a great Dtackle, that is also needed.

Point is, BPA at any of those positions would be great…

Meh class for Edge, DT, and CB. Depth at CB is interesting, though.

Awesome class for OL and WR.

You can pound the table as hard as you can, but after the free agency moves we now also have a major need at Defensive Tackle. We need both O-line and DT.

IMNSHO, OL (especially guard) is a greater need than DT right now. It was a bigger need last year and it's still a bigger need. Sure we need to replace Wilkins and Raekwon, but we've needed better OL for a long time. Now we need to replace Hunt, too.

Still pounding the table.

As much as many of us would want to draft two OL guys, I expect us to draft one OL at most.......last year Grier/McDaniel told us they felt good about the guys they had and we didn’t draft OL till the 7th round. I do think is possible they learned their lesson and take advantage of this very good OL class but like I said, I expect maybe one OL that they could draft either in the 1st or 2nd round. Drafting OL on day 3 would be drafting the same we already have. Here's what I think our OL could look like in 2024

Armstead/Rookie/Brewer/one of Eich,Jones,Cotton/Jackson.........or it could be rookie RG and one of the other guys at LG

I know people want another cheap veteran but be careful what you wish for cause they might not draft OL at all.

I like your draft.

I hope we don't draft an edge player. It usually takes the first season for them to start to produce, and I can't handle the meltdown that will happen here, and the pitchforks are already out for Grier. We can find another edge guy in FA, I don't think we're done there.

Are we likely to get a potentially elite OT at 21? I know Mims is a high ceiling prospect. God forbid we draft a solid guy that needs time to work it out, like Jackson, because again pitchforks. Maybe we get a solid Vernon Carey type, although the pitchforks would hate that too.

I'm now realizing that whatever the team decide to do, it's going to be ripped apart and shat on around here and it's not fun 😂

Back
Top Bottom