Draft Strategy following early free Agency | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Strategy following early free Agency

I wouldn't be surprised if Robert Jones ends up being one of the guard starters.
I'm not predicting it as a certainty, but it wouldn't surprise me. There never seems to be much drop off when he subs in, so I think he gets a shot to claim a spot.
He's the poster child for developmental oline: then resign for a nice price medium term at a position where a team shouldn't overspend.

There seems to be a group who wants 5 All-Pro OLmen and anything else is unacceptable. To me, Jones is one of those who could start, depending on competition, but, for now, him starting isn't unreasonable. And, AFAIK, there's no certainty on williams and Wynn. It seems there is one critical need need at OL and a couple more who are targets for upgrade.

I wouldn’t invest a round 1 pick on an edge as it’s not a great class, and we have just signed a stop gap vet, and 2 good edges waiting to come back by mid season.

DT is a need, but I think we can grab one with our 5th (or maybe earlier if we trade down).

Our IOL/G is where we neee to invest. I’d go OL early and often, with our first 2, unless a legit WR, DT or LB prospect falls to our 2nd.

Last edited:
To state the obvious, FA isn't over. I think there is broad agreement on the top 4-5 needs and expect those positions to be draft targets depending on FA adds. My inclination is trade down if the opportunity is there, but every year there are 1-2 'top' players who drop so who knows. The draft strategy is triage and, for now I see that as at least one OL in the 1st 2 picks
Right. To your point, if Verse or Bowers make it to 21, I wouldn't be trading down. There are a few others. Maybe Mims, who has a very high ceiling. Maybe Murphy because DT looks like a huge need right now.

There seems to be a group who wants 5 All-Pro OLmen and anything else is unacceptable. To me, Jones is one of those who could start, depending on competition, but, for now, him starting isn't unreasonable. And, AFAIK, there's no certainty on williams and Wynn. It seems there is one critical need need at OL and a couple more who are targets for upgrade.
Yeah, everyone wants to find developmental players in UDFA, have some make the roster, develop them, then get pissed when they get a chance to start.
I don't know if Jones will start, but he should be in the mix. It's why a team signs UDFA in the first place- to do exactly what is happening with Jones.

If Miami can get someone like Arik Armstead, then I think offensive line with the first two picks would really help this team.

Right now, I see a glaring need at defensive tackle.

No idea what Armstead would be asking salary wise. He's good when healthy, but is injured a lot. The DT'S Miami has signed so far are depth only IMO.
I understand your concerns and they are very valid, but if I were GM if would address defense next year in the draft and look for stop gaps this year. Sure I would do my best to sign quality veteran defenders but I would not expect to land any big fish with our cap as it is at the moment.

My point of view is that we are about to sign a significant amount of cap space over to Tua. I would rather address the offensive line now and give him every resource to get the most out of that contract - health and firepower.

If a defensive gem dropped or there was a rush on oline and we missed out I would have to heavily consider pivoting but this would be my philosophy heading into draft night.

I understand your concerns and they are very valid, but if I were GM if would address defense next year in the draft and look for stop gaps this year. Sure I would do my best to sign quality veteran defenders but I would not expect to land any big fish with our cap as it is at the moment.

My point of view is that we are about to sign a significant amount of cap space over to Tua. I would rather address the offensive line now and give him every resource to get the most out of that contract - health and firepower.

If a defensive gem dropped or there was a rush on oline and we missed out I would have to heavily consider pivoting but this would be my philosophy heading into draft night.
I think that's the right philosophy.

IMG_0465.jpeg

I could have had Taylor III, but I went with a true NT. Only pick I didn’t like was Frazier; someone drafted Christian Mahogany 63rd. All the best OTs were gone at 21 so I traded down and got 2 2nds next year and some more picks this year. My favorite draft yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robert Jones ends up being one of the guard starters.
I'm not predicting it as a certainty, but it wouldn't surprise me. There never seems to be much drop off when he subs in, so I think he gets a shot to claim a spot.
He's the poster child for developmental oline: then resign for a nice price medium term at a position where a team shouldn't overspend.
He's OK, but probably not a perfect fit for wide zone. He has the power and pass pro is acceptable. The issue is lateral agility. Can he get to his mark on time?

Reminds me of Jalen Phillips
What are the traits that remind you of him? That would be exciting if so, and I would think he would not be available at 21 if the NFL agreed?

I actually liked what I saw from Cameron Goode before he went out with an injury. Hopefully his recover is going well and he can continue to develop.

Back
Top Bottom