Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...2011/03/draft_winds_lies_damn_lies_and_1.html

You are commanded to read it!

hypnotoad-1.gif

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that Mallett has the "3 second rule" down. Now, we mostly all know about the 3 second clock used in practice, which QB's need to get rid of the ball within 3 seconds. Mallett already has this mental clock. After 3 seconds he has already released the football. If not he either will step up in the pocket to create a bit more time to check down or will "scramble" out of the pocket to find the open receiver. Now, while Mallett isn't going to win any foot races, he knows how to create a bit more time in the pocket to find his men. This is extremely important for a non-mobile QB to do. All the greats know how to move in the pocket to create space. Mallett knows how to do this.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that Mallett has the "3 second rule" down. Now, we mostly all know about the 3 second clock used in practice, which QB's need to get rid of the ball within 3 seconds. Mallett already has this mental clock. After 3 seconds he has already released the football. If not he either will step up in the pocket to create a bit more time to check down or will "scramble" out of the pocket to find the open receiver. Now, while Mallett isn't going to win any foot races, he knows how to create a bit more time in the pocket to find his men. This is extremely important for a non-mobile QB to do. All the greats know how to move in the pocket to create space. Mallett knows how to do this.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this assessment. Ryan Mallett relies on his feel for pressure, rather than a clock in his head, and that to me is a very good thing. Quarterbacks are supposed to feel pressure and learn to handle it. If you go out and watch non-Henne quarterbacks out there in the league, ones that aren't trained by the Miami Dolphins' buzzer-obsessed coaches, those quarterbacks put on their big boy pants and operate in the pocket however they see fit, until they feel pressure coming and then they do something about it.

That was what was so remarkable about Mallett's "Under Pressure" tape. What you're describing is phantom pressure, as in nobody is actually pressuring the guy but because he knows he's held onto the ball a little long, he's scrambling around like he's got someone on his tail. Blaine Gabbert does that a lot, he's taught to. Cam Newton is taught to. I don't think Ryan Mallett was taught to handle the pocket in that manner and I'm glad of it for him.

The three second buzzer in a quarterback's head are like training wheels. You've got to take them off if you want to do any serious riding.

Dude, this is your most glorious work to date. This deserves an award. An absolute gem, a must read.

Can someone please send hypnotoad in am email to Ireland commanding him to pick Mallet? Pretty please.

This kid is far to good physically and mentally(on the field) to pass up on for "character issues". So he likes to do a little blow now and then, it worked out fine with Marino.

I don't care who thinks #15 is to early for him either, why not go get the best guy we can at our earliest opportunity rather than trade back for "value" and cross our fingers he will still be there when we pick. When we all know we will lose out on Mallet, and end up with another bum or long term project like Kaepernick, or Tyrod Failure.

The reason I say this is when watching the film, Mallett is releasing the football within 3 seconds under normal pressure circumstances, when he has a man to get it to. If Mallett feels pressure or can't find a man open, he does what he has to do. By no means do I mean to say that Mallett knows that after 3 seconds Mallett always gets rid of the football, like Henne. What I'm seeing is that after 3 seconds under normal pressure circumstances, Mallett either has the ball gone already, or will take a step up in the pocket or scramble out. This doesn't mean that he's feeling phantom pressure, it means that in his head he knows he needs to create more time to find the open man and does it. Not that I'm not saying Mallett is Marino at all, but Marino wasn't a mobile QB either and Marino had the same awareness in the pocket. He knew he couldn't outrun anyone, but he knew how to move around in the pocket, I'm saying Mallett already has a good awareness of how to move in the pocket.

Edit: I'm already 3 minutes into the bad decision part of the video and have counted 6 times where Mallett has the ball gone in 3 seconds or has moved up or around the pocket. Not a bad thing, good thing.

The reason I say this is when watching the film, Mallett is releasing the football within 3 seconds under normal pressure circumstances, when he has a man to get it to. If Mallett feels pressure or can't find a man open, he does what he has to do. By no means do I mean to say that Mallett knows that after 3 seconds Mallett always gets rid of the football, like Henne. What I'm seeing is that after 3 seconds under normal pressure circumstances, Mallett either has the ball gone already, or will take a step up in the pocket or scramble out. This doesn't mean that he's feeling phantom pressure, it means that in his head he knows he needs to create more time to find the open man and does it. Not that I'm not saying Mallett is Marino at all, but Marino wasn't a mobile QB either and Marino had the same awareness in the pocket. He knew he couldn't outrun anyone, but he knew how to move around in the pocket, I'm saying Mallett already has a good awareness of how to move in the pocket.

Edit: I'm already 3 minutes into the bad decision part of the video and have counted 6 times where Mallett has the ball gone in 3 seconds or has moved up or around the pocket. Not a bad thing, good thing.

I admit, it's a subtle difference. I like guys that get the ball out. That's a good thing. It shows the speed of your mental processing and it shows decisiveness. Mallett seems decisive, and that's good. And I always love guys that get the ball out. I believe that's ultimately what that 3 second buzzer is supposed to help a quarterback get the hang of, but the problem is if you really need it, that's not a good thing. Then again, who knows. Maybe it's just Henne that can't process the field quickly enough in general.

I like guys that get the ball out and I like guys that start to feel the ticking of a clock after so long and they still haven't done anything with the ball. But, to a degree. I do believe that when you start scrambling around not because you've felt a threat to the pocket, not because you know there's a blitzer coming from a certain direction with not a lot of hope blocking him, but just because you feel the clock ticking...that to me is the very definition of phantom pressure. I really have a bad taste for it, but I know a lot of kids in college are coached that way, so sometimes it's hard to hold it against them, as is the case with Blaine Gabbert (for me). I just don't want them walking into the pros thinking that's what they should do. When I watch Tom Brady play, some of the best throws I've seen him make especially back in 2007 were ones he could just stand in the pocket all day and the OL would protect him. If you're feeling phantom pressure, you're not giving your offensive line a chance to be great for you, and help you make a big play. As soon as you break the pocket, the angles for OL blockers go up in smoke, and the defensive players now have you in sight.

What I was trying to get across in that Mallett video is he only felt phantom pressure I believe on ONE of those pass attempts. Every other one, if you see him trying to deal with pressure, it's because he senses it.

I admit, it's a subtle difference. I like guys that get the ball out. That's a good thing. It shows the speed of your mental processing and it shows decisiveness. Mallett seems decisive, and that's good. And I always love guys that get the ball out. I believe that's ultimately what that 3 second buzzer is supposed to help a quarterback get the hang of, but the problem is if you really need it, that's not a good thing. Then again, who knows. Maybe it's just Henne that can't process the field quickly enough in general.

I like guys that get the ball out and I like guys that start to feel the ticking of a clock after so long and they still haven't done anything with the ball. But, to a degree. I do believe that when you start scrambling around not because you've felt a threat to the pocket, not because you know there's a blitzer coming from a certain direction with not a lot of hope blocking him, but just because you feel the clock ticking...that to me is the very definition of phantom pressure. I really have a bad taste for it, but I know a lot of kids in college are coached that way, so sometimes it's hard to hold it against them, as is the case with Blaine Gabbert (for me). I just don't want them walking into the pros thinking that's what they should do. When I watch Tom Brady play, some of the best throws I've seen him make especially back in 2007 were ones he could just stand in the pocket all day and the OL would protect him. If you're feeling phantom pressure, you're not giving your offensive line a chance to be great for you, and help you make a big play. As soon as you break the pocket, the angles for OL blockers go up in smoke, and the defensive players now have you in sight.

What I was trying to get across in that Mallett video is he only felt phantom pressure I believe on ONE of those pass attempts. Every other one, if you see him trying to deal with pressure, it's because he senses it.

LOL. Dude, we are coming with the same conclusion but at different angles. Basically I think we are both trying to say is that he's not a slave to the 3 second clock, and has a natural feel for timing and pressure.

Edit: The difference between Mallett and Henne is that Henne is a slave the the 3 second clock. He knows that at 3 seconds he has to get rid of the ball no matter what, which leads to the throw aways or the poor ball management. What Mallett does is naturally accept what the defense gives him.

CK, do you think there's any truth to the rumor that Mallett will slip out of the first round?

LOL. Dude, we are coming with the same conclusion but at different angles. Basically I think we are both trying to say is that he's not a slave to the 3 second clock, and has a natural feel for timing and pressure.

Edit: The difference between Mallett and Henne is that Henne is a slave the the 3 second clock. He knows that at 3 seconds he has to get rid of the ball no matter what, which leads to the throw aways or the poor ball management. What Mallett does is naturally accept what the defense gives him.

just a thought here,
Henne was coached up to be a pro with the "3 second and out" mentality.... why wouldn't our coaching staff coach Mallet up with the same idea?

Obviously you hope they dont, but tigers dont change their stripes........

well maybe it is all a smear campaign...seems odd to me that guys like mayock and kiper etc though wouldn't have a pretty good understanding and neither of them see mallet as a 1st rounder...

well maybe it is all a smear campaign...seems odd to me that guys like mayock and kiper etc though wouldn't have a pretty good understanding and neither of them see mallet as a 1st rounder...

You know, When Mayock and Kiper put this much work into a published article about Mallett, then we can bring them into conversation. For now, I trust CK over any of them. Universal Draft has done a mind blowing work with this article, and the rest of the experts can svck on that as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom