Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special

LOL. Dude, we are coming with the same conclusion but at different angles. Basically I think we are both trying to say is that he's not a slave to the 3 second clock, and has a natural feel for timing and pressure.

Listen we could all sit here and argue about the ways Mallet is great but........ Wait actually I like that idea.
- strong arm who has the strength to throw the ball all over the field while still remaining fairly accurate
- improved decision making, although he could still improve when under pressure.
- not fast but has a great "3 second clock", which has helped him get better in terms of taking sacks
- comes from a pro-style offense and is used to taking snaps under center(which gives him a leg up on the other top qb prospects)
- doesn't have perfect mechanics but they are vastly improved from a year ago and worlds ahead of Newton, Kaepernick, Tyrod Failure Ect.
- has a good history when it comes to injuries which gives him the advantage over Chad Pennington Jr. Sorry I mean Christian Ponder.

Now for some cons to balance my post out
- May have at one time in his life done some booger sugar.
- Isn't the hardest worker in the world according to some(although he seems to have improved many aspects of him game) Must just be chance it couldn't be him working to improve because all I ever hear are knocks to his work ethic.
- Is a big meanie head

Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the Miami Dolphins Qb of the future and savior for us all........ Colin Kaepernick!!!!! (crickets with a small golf clap in background)

*slams head against wall and starts counting down to next years draft.

CK, do you think there's any truth to the rumor that Mallett will slip out of the first round?

I do not know. But I think teams are playing this one, in particular, close to the vest. Some teams (that need QBs) are going to look at Mallett and think he's the best passer in the Draft. That's a powerful motivator to get you to do what it takes to see him in your camp.

I think that whatever you hear out there, whether it's about Mallett rising or about Mallett falling...you take with a grain of salt.

This much I do take seriously, and that is Ron Rivera's officially naming him among the 8 players they are considering at #1 overall. That's just NOT something you do if you don't think he's worthy of that value. That one particular bit of news actually affected me as far as figuring out where Mallett is going to go. I believe Mallett is right in Ken Whisenhunt's wheelhouse and I wouldn't be surprised if he took him, either in a trade down...or even at #5.

Mallett has 90% of his work done before the ball is snapped... this is called "reading" a defense, it all happens pre-snap. This is why he's not a prisoner of his own perceived "lack" of athleticism, and why he's able to produce at an eye-popping rate against the most physical and sophisticated defensive schemes college football can conjure up to throw at a quarterback.

He KNOWS he can make the required throw with surgical precision regardless, any throw.

Post-snap is where you see the flaws, which CK did an excellent job of explaining. When you already have 90% of your work done, you've already visualized the play unfold in your mind's eye... When an unexpected, or unconventional event (defensive lineman dropping back into coverage, etc.) takes place during the process of "going through you progressions" (post-snap), that's when a quarterback who can't run around and extend a play with his feet can be put in a pickle.

That's where Mallett is going to have to change his game a little.. He's going to have to settle for the checkdown or hot read... which is something he admittedly doesn't prefer.

Every quarterback struggles with more guys in coverage and less guys rushing him, as opposed to vice versa. Ryan Mallett can deal with pressure, and he can deal with it better than any quarterback in this draft in my opinion.

What you don't want to see a quarterback struggle with is PERCEIVED pressure, or "phantom" pressure.. pressure that isn't there. Mallett doesn't even react to perceived pressure, he only reacts to a legitimate and imminent threat...

Miami can't pass this quarterback up with the 15th pick if they ever intend to amount to anything. I'd gladly let anybody in front of me have their Blaine Gabberts and Cam Newtons... and watch this guy fall right into my lap.

well maybe it is all a smear campaign...seems odd to me that guys like mayock and kiper etc though wouldn't have a pretty good understanding and neither of them see mallet as a 1st rounder...

Yeah, I wonder that too. And then I think about the "fact" that Ryan Mallett has never been voted a team captain at Arkansas, according to Rob Rang and the NFL Draft Scout boys, and how this reflects poorly on his leadership ability...and suddenly I realize that sometimes people are just full of it, joining in a herd mentality based on not a lot in particular, with zero fact checking. I mean even BASIC fact checking. Turn on an Arkansas game, there's Mallett at the coin flip with the rest of the team captains. Not saying I haven't been guilty of it in the past as well. It just is what it is.

You know, When Mayock and Kiper put this much work into a published article about Mallett, then we can bring them into conversation. For now, I trust CK over any of them. Universal Draft has done a mind blowing work with this article, and the rest of the experts can svck on that as far as I'm concerned.

my point being that mayock and kiper have interactions with gms and scouts every day that none of us have access to...you would think they'd be getting some info that this is all overblown...god knows the kids got some rediculous throwing talents...i know that...40 yard lasers...so why isn't he a lock 1st rounder to them???

but i do get that this fits your stance on mallet...

just a thought here,
Henne was coached up to be a pro with the "3 second and out" mentality.... why wouldn't our coaching staff coach Mallet up with the same idea?

Obviously you hope they dont, but tigers dont change their stripes........

Simple, Henne has been told to get rid of the ball after three seconds because he struggles with pressure. Mallett already has the 3 second rule understood but its natural to him. Meaning he creates time based on what the d gives him. For example, Im a teacher and when I first started I had to write up each lesson plan because the details didn't come natural to me. Now, I have internalized the thought process of writing a lesson plan so I don't have to always write it down. It comes natural to me. Pressure and getting rid of the ball comes natural to Mallett. Mallett doesn't have to think about it, he has adapted to what he is given.

Those relationships are a little more at arm's length than you'd think. It's a symbiotic relationship in some ways, but there's also a certain amount of knowing what to hold back and why.

Yeah, I wonder that too. And then I think about the "fact" that Ryan Mallett has never been voted a team captain at Arkansas, according to Rob Rang and the NFL Draft Scout boys, and how this reflects poorly on his leadership ability...and suddenly I realize that sometimes people are just full of it, joining in a herd mentality based on not a lot in particular, with zero fact checking. I mean even BASIC fact checking. Turn on an Arkansas game, there's Mallett at the coin flip with the rest of the team captains. Not saying I haven't been guilty of it in the past as well. It just is what it is.

Who the hell said Ryan Mallett wasn't a team captain? That right there tells you they haven't watched the kid play. Not only that, they haven't even watched so much as an Arkansas Razorback coin-toss...

what about injury concerns with mallet...i've seen him take a ton of hits where i didn;'t think he'd get back up not because i didn't think he was tough but because his legs and lower body were always in such odd positions...the kind of things that blow out knees etc

it's probably just that i'm more concerned given his height and length that he's gonna have a hard time protecting his gumby like limbs...not that its anything i wouldn't take him over...

it's an interesting read...i've known for quite some time on the field he's a much better prospect than chad henne...i just still don't get that no one in the media is saying bs out loud on all these rumors

i wouldn't be upset with him at #15...i definitely think his physical talents warrant the pick more than christian ponder...although minnesota at #12 may be thinking mallet also

Who the hell said Ryan Mallett wasn't a team captain? That right there tells you they haven't watched the kid play. Not only that, they haven't even watched so much as an Arkansas Razorback coin-toss...

Rob Rang and the NFL Draft Scout guys.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632241

Intangibles: Some have concerns over his maturity level. Has a brash personality that has caused some to question whether he possesses the leadership to handle an NFL huddle. Was never voted a team captain with the Razorbacks despite the fact that quarterbacks are often pushed by coaching staffs as such. Very confident in his own talent and early in his career wasn't known for his dedication to the film room. Arrested for public intoxication on March 1, 2009, in Fayetteville.

They're good people and they traffic through so much information on so many players, oversights happen. I think I even know how it happened. If you manage to find Mallett's official Arkansas bio page there's no mention of his being a team captain two years in a row. But they do mention it on other players' bio pages like DeMarcus Love.

But so many people pay attention to what they write and the information they gather, it's just funny how many places that bit of disinformation flowed through to, and I only just caught wind of it yesterday.

what about injury concerns with mallet...i've seen him take a ton of hits where i didn;'t think he'd get back up not because i didn't think he was tough but because his legs and lower body were always in such odd positions...the kind of things that blow out knees etc

it's probably just that i'm more concerned given his height and length that he's gonna have a hard time protecting his gumby like limbs...not that its anything i wouldn't take him over...

Enter the zebras with their little yellow shields...

Seriously, half the hits I've seen Mallett take I keep thinking to myself, that would be illegal in the NFL. They would flag that.

Mike Mayock thinks Jake Locker's the 2nd best QB in the draft. Some teams have been asking him to work out as a safety.

That right there tells me all I need to know.

And Boston Phin4.......Mallett is ridiculously hard working. I've not encountered a player who will outwork him in this years draft. Maybe Rock Carmichael. So this stuff about him not working hard is lies.Turst me. I spent HOURS poring over articles, cuttings, emails to people, etc. Anything else is just a lie.

I've seen Dan Marino tear his achilles without even being touched. I've seen an athletic beast with tree trunks for legs like Daunte Culpepper annihilate all 3 ligaments in his knee scrambling for a 1st down. I've seen Carson Palmer and Tom Brady get their knees blown out by standing firmly in the pocket and having a guy launch at their knees...

If you're going to get injured, you're going to get injured... Mallett will be protected in the NFL more than he ever was in the SEC.

Ehh, he wears a knee brace, he's fine. Lol. I don't have any more concern about injury than gabbert if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom