DT are made, not Drafted... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DT are made, not Drafted...

That could be a good strategy. I would add that maybe wide receiver could be an option at 21, or in a trade down.
Ya, whatever order with those first two picks, wherever the best perceived value was. Also in favor of a trade down if we don't move too far and get a 3rd in this draft as the top 100 overall are supposed to be pretty good with a steep drop off after that, if able to do that then we can add another position to the OL/WR concept, maybe another IOL. I really want to head into next season feeling super solid on the OL and with an extra playmaker at WR (plus the one we already have at TE).

There are always very active college defensive tackles who get shoved down into the middle rounds, below their ability level. I'm not following college personnel closely anymore but I'm sure the trend is ongoing. Southern schools in particular. The two names that stood out were Grady Jarrett and Javon Hargrave. As soon as they were drafted I was wondering why they fell so far, given disruptive level.

The Dolphins once tried the same thing, with Godchaux from LSU. That wasn't too bad either. From memory they took Vincent Taylor from Oklahoma State in the same draft. He wasn't awful but more of a fire plug. There is more upside with the agile guys, no matter what they look like in college.

Grier doesn't like to explore that position, by rule. Seemingly every year we draft a marginal wide receiver, running back or tight end during those rounds.

The Ravens obviously believe rounds 3-5 is the trenches sweet spot. In looking at their draft history they have drafted at least one defensive lineman in those rounds during 10 of the past 11 drafts. The only exception is 2018, when they took Sieler in the 7th.

Grier doesn't like to explore that position, by rule. Seemingly every year we draft a marginal wide receiver, running back or tight end during those rounds.
Right. It seems that every year, Miami opens camp with a ton of WRs, RBs, TEs, and DBs, but never places enough emphasis on the trenches.

The best way to counter what teams were doing to us late last year is to build a powerful run game. We have Mostert and Achane, now we need to open some holes for them. Build a better oline than we've had in years. It keeps killing us every year so time has come to get some horses in here that can run block and pass block. This is a great and deep draft for oline and dline.

There are always very active college defensive tackles who get shoved down into the middle rounds, below their ability level. I'm not following college personnel closely anymore but I'm sure the trend is ongoing. Southern schools in particular. The two names that stood out were Grady Jarrett and Javon Hargrave. As soon as they were drafted I was wondering why they fell so far, given disruptive level.

The Dolphins once tried the same thing, with Godchaux from LSU. That wasn't too bad either. From memory they took Vincent Taylor from Oklahoma State in the same draft. He wasn't awful but more of a fire plug. There is more upside with the agile guys, no matter what they look like in college.

The Ravens obviously believe rounds 3-5 is the trenches sweet spot. In looking at their draft history they have drafted at least one defensive lineman in those rounds during 10 of the past 11 drafts. The only exception is 2018, when they took Sieler in the 7th.
This fits in with what I've read about Miami's interest in the DT prospects. All of them with the exception of Maason Smith who's been mocked as high as mid 2nd, are mid round prospects.

Maason Smith and Gabe Hall are both 6'6" and about 295lbs. More or less a DE/DT hybrid type player. The other 2 LSU DT's are on the shorter side at about 6'1"-6'2" and more agile.

Last edited:
This make's a lot of sense. We would all hope to hit in the Draft with an ALL-PRO from the start, but that is more luck, even when they look like Can't miss. This allows you if you have the right people as teachers to create solid to great players from any players drafted anywhere in a draft.

Who makes em?

The Keibler Elves probly
stacy keibler dancing GIF

I seached Keibler and this popped up.... your welcome

Why do I get the feeling we are drafting Waddle's replacement at 21 and a guard in the 2nd round?

Possibly, but unlike Wilkins, Waddle won’t walk for only a 3rd round comp.

I hope they are not even considering getting rid of Waddle unless medically they know something we don't, or someone comes back at us with some ridiculous trade scenario like the Texans did a while back.

I don’t think they are but they might be preparing for his agent to make an absurd demand.

Back
Top Bottom