DT are made, not Drafted... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DT are made, not Drafted...

You might be forced to get rid of him for cap reasons. Do you think the Titans wanted to "get rid" of AJ Brown? I'm not advocating moving Waddle. I'm just saying they would be smart to plan ahead.
For one, you dont release your start homegrown WR talent, you just don't. Second, Grier has stated on camera that Waddle isn't going anywhere.

I would offer Waddle to The Chargers for #5 and take Nabers, but they could just do that themselves................. :chuckle:

For one, you dont release your start homegrown WR talent, you just don't. Second, Grier has stated on camera that Waddle isn't going anywhere.
Who said release? I'm talking a football trade. Not now obviously but at next year's draft? It's a possibility.

This make's a lot of sense. We would all hope to hit in the Draft with an ALL-PRO from the start, but that is more luck, even when they look like Can't miss. This allows you if you have the right people as teachers to create solid to great players from any players drafted anywhere in a draft.

Doesn't really fit the point when the tweet by CK mentioned all but one of the players were drafted! :lol:

Doesn't really fit the point when the tweet by CK mentioned all but one of the players were drafted! :lol:

Point is not as much whether they were drafted or not, more to do with no matter where you draft them, if you have the right people, you can work with them to reach being a much better player.

Though getting a 1st round diamond in the rough, or elite player is great, with good people around them, you can get almost as good in the later rounds.

Austin Clark is perhaps our most valuable position coach. Gallimore took less $$ to sign with Miami specifically to work for Clark.
I’d throw Butch Barry in the convo as well, which is why I have more confidence than many that we can improve the O- line with draft picks and free agents who may have some question marks…

I don't think they are done. They are all over the DT's in the draft. The Dolphins Asst Dline coach is a former LSU defensive coach. He's appearently selling the Fins on all three of LSU's draft eligible DLinemen. Maason Smith is a guy to keep your eyes on. And then there is Baylor's Gabe Hall, who Miami has been showing interest in. They could be done given the ages of some of these F/A signings, but you never know.
This IDL group is not top-heavy this year. There is a reasonable chance none are taken before pick 21. If we can get Byron Murphy there, IMO you have to seriously consider it.

We need a WR but not to replace Waddle or Hill. We desperately need a good possession receiver who can step up when teams lock our speed down. Just like we need a power RB for when they do the same to our speed running game. We can still be a speed offense like we were last year, but unlike last year we need a solid Plan B for when teams are able to slow down our speed. We can't go into this year as totally one dimensional on offense as we did last year. When teams have an answer for our speed, we have to be able to hit them with a different question.
Jonnu Smith says hello.

I’d throw Butch Barry in the convo as well, which is why I have more confidence than many that we can improve the O- line with draft picks and free agents who may have some question marks…
Great point. Clark is aided by Weaver and the new Asst DL coach. Barry is the man when it comes to OL. More autonomy there.

This make's a lot of sense. We would all hope to hit in the Draft with an ALL-PRO from the start, but that is more luck, even when they look like Can't miss. This allows you if you have the right people as teachers to create solid to great players from any players drafted anywhere in a draft.

I agree with this. In my experience while you sometimes get the rare Aaron Donald level prospect, it's preferable to simply sign the FA NT type who doesn't get a ton of sacks but has learned/developed into that guy that can handle double team blocks. I'm not a fan of spending high draft picks on DTs even though most pundits list it as one of those "premium" positions

Why do I get the feeling we are drafting Waddle's replacement at 21 and a guard in the 2nd round?
More like Hill’s replacement than Waddle’s replacement. Hill is a little flaky. We don’t really know how much longer he will play. He’s talked about his current contract being his last,

I wonder if that means Miami is essentially done at defensive tackle. With perhaps only a later round add?
Could be and if that was the case, maybe going with the strategy I've been peddling, build the offense with everything we have here in the draft to get that unit to true elite while the D is a work in progress. If we didn't feel the need for a DT with one of our first two picks I could see OT (guy that can play guard rookie year and move to tackle for Armstead going forward) and WR (get that top end 3rd weapon to go with an improved TE room and the stud WR's and RB's we already have).

Could be and if that was the case, maybe going with the strategy I've been peddling, build the offense with everything we have here in the draft to get that unit to true elite while the D is a work in progress. If we didn't feel the need for a DT with one of our first two picks I could see OT (guy that can play guard rookie year and move to tackle for Armstead going forward) and WR (get that top end 3rd weapon to go with an improved TE room and the stud WR's and RB's we already have).
That could be a good strategy. I would add that maybe wide receiver could be an option at 21, or in a trade down.

Back
Top Bottom