Eric Berry, McClain, D.Bryant...who should we pick at 12? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eric Berry, McClain, D.Bryant...who should we pick at 12?

Who should we take at 12?

• Eric Berry

Votes: 72 69.9%
  • McClain

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Bryant

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters
Eric Berry. I would run naked all the way up to New York to personally hand in the card myself. I would be that excited if Berry landed in Miami.

I can't disagree with that and the chances of him lasting until the tenth pick aren't good. he's a special player. but imo, there is a chance only because he is a safety. the top ten is where teams find their QB, LT and DT while best safeties, guards and centers are routinely taken in the bottom half of the first round. there are exceptions every year and Berry will probably be one, safety is more important than it used to be. but there are scenarios where he could fall. maybe the Rams take a QB so Tampa decides to go with MCCoy and Cleveland takes Haden believing CB is more important than safety. is it likely? no, could it happen? I have to say yes
While I agree with safeties usually not being high picks, Berry just has too much talent and potential. He won't get past the Browns at 7 imo.

Believe everyone can agree that the thing about this year's draft is what happens with that first pick. Rams go QB, Berry could slip out of top 5. Rams go DT, i seriously doubt he will make it past the Bucs at 3.

That being said, if he does fall out of the top 5, how can you think the Browns wont take him? All it takes is 1 team to fall in love with his talent(and whats not to love) and the decision to go with talent over need is usually not a bad thing.
I just can't see one of the drafts most promising players, a rare can't miss at his position no less, dropping past a third of the teams in the draft. Then again, i said the same thing about Brian Orakpo last year...but i also forgot just how bad the Bills are at any and every football decision.

The Bucs need DT and DE before any FS. Don't see them picking Berry. CLE is in my opinion going for either CJ Spiller or Dez Bryant, but yes, they are the one team that has me thinking they can select Berry. But like I said, very possible that they don't. Either way, I won't cry if Bryant is bypassed any of those teams to select Berry. Bryant is a VERY good consolation prize. BOth are possibilities to me.

Even if those teams have other needs, someone else will jump us and grab him. Your theory makes no sense. No way will he last til #12.

You act as if those top 11 teams would rather trade down behind us. So yours doesn't make any sense. Why would one of the top 11 teams trade back with the likes of McCoy, Pierre-Paul, McClain, Okung, Bryant, Bradford, Spiller all available? Never have I seen a team trade up for a dam Safety. A QB maybe, but not Berry. Please. Berry has just as much a chance to be available at #12 as Bryant does. Could they get selected top 11? Of course, could they be available at #12, yes, very much so. :rolleyes2:

I voted McClain because he is the only one who has a shot at being there by our pick and I only see it happening if the Rams pass on Suh for a QB.

The Bucs need DT and DE before any FS. Don't see them picking Berry. CLE is in my opinion going for either CJ Spiller or Dez Bryant, but yes, they are the one team that has me thinking they can select Berry. But like I said, very possible that they don't. Either way, I won't cry if Bryant is bypassed any of those teams to select Berry. Bryant is a VERY good consolation prize. BOth are possibilities to me.
I very highly doubt Cleveland goes for Spiller with Jerome Harrison. I highly doubt they go for Bryant as they really like Massaquoi. They need to bolster up their secondary, and if Berry falls to them, there's no way they pass on him.

You act as if those top 11 teams would rather trade down behind us. So yours doesn't make any sense. Why would one of the top 11 teams trade back with the likes of McCoy, Pierre-Paul, McClain, Okung, Bryant, Bradford, Spiller all available? Never have I seen a team trade up for a dam Safety. A QB maybe, but not Berry. Please. Berry has just as much a chance to be available at #12 as Bryant does. Could they get selected top 11? Of course, could they be available at #12, yes, very much so. :rolleyes2:
Berry does not have just as much a chance to be available at 12 as Bryant does. Bryant will be taken higher than he should be because of such a lousy WR class, but may very well fall to 12, mainly because of character issues. Berry is the best DB prospect to come out in years, and won't fall out of the top 10.

I very highly doubt Cleveland goes for Spiller with Jerome Harrison. I highly doubt they go for Bryant as they really like Massaquoi. They need to bolster up their secondary, and if Bryant falls to them, there's no way they pass on him.

:err: You highly doubt that they go for Bryant, but if Bryant falls to them, there's 'no way' they pass on him? Which one is it? :bobdole:

Funniness to the side, you could be right about them passing on Spiller, like I said, to me they pose the biggest Berry threat to me..not the Bucs.

Berry does not have just as much a chance to be available at 12 as Bryant does. Bryant will be taken higher than he should be because of such a lousy WR class, but may very well fall to 12, mainly because of character issues. Berry is the best DB prospect to come out in years, and won't fall out of the top 10.

Joe Haden is up there as a top ten prospect too. So Berry isn't the only top notch DB available. Also, Earl Thomas looks the part of a stud too. Yeah, I agree that CLE could take Berry, but they could go Haden too. But if CLE goes another way, Berry can slip to us.

Just think we are overhyping him up to Suh level. Nope, because of the position he plays...

:err: You highly doubt that they go for Bryant, but if Bryant falls to them, there's 'no way' they pass on him? Which one is it? :bobdole:

Funniness to the side, you could be right about them passing on Spiller, like I said, to me they pose the biggest Berry threat to me..not the Bucs.
Sorry, meant Berry. Berry, Bryant, Berry, Bryant, I'm sure you can understand the typo :) I think the Bucs could be players for Berry, but not quite like the Browns. Honestly, the Bucs have so many holes who knows who they will pick.

Joe Haden is up there as a top ten prospect too. So Berry isn't the only top notch DB available. Also, Earl Thomas looks the part of a stud too. Yeah, I agree that CLE could take Berry, but they could go Haden too. But if CLE goes another way, Berry can slip to us.

Just think we are overhyping him up to Suh level. Nope, because of the position he plays...
I agree. I think if Berry isn't available, CLE picks Haden. I like Thomas too, but as been pointed out earlier, safeties usually don't go very high, and I don't see Thomas any different. Berry of course being the exception to the rule being he's the best DB prospect to come out in sometime and is arguably the best player in the draft depending on who you ask.

as I said last month, if Eric Berry falls to us and we don't take him, I'm walking down to Miami from PA and personally kicking Ross, Tuna, Ireland, Sparano, Bowles, and Nolan square in the nuts. The only way I wouldn't be pissed is if a team like San Fran traded us both their firsts and another pick to get Berry.

People have to remember that as good as Berry was his 3 years at Tennessee, he still has a lot of room to grow. He was a primary QB in High School, and really was never a full time safety. Yeah that's his primary position, but he also started quite a bit at CB. Berry is a difference maker and is probably the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor, and one could argue that he might be a better prospect (again it's debatable, I don't remember Taylor in college as much since I wasn't even in High School when he entered the draft).

If Berry isn't there and it's McClain vs. Bryant... that's a bit different. Bryant would give us that safety valve at WR we lack, and McClain would give us a the high IQ/potential playmaking ILB we lack. I'd probably go with Bryant because our lack of explosiveness on offense hurt us a lot too (and our biggest problems late on defense were safety related).

Berry is an ELITE prospect, but still pales in comparison to Sean Taylor as a prospect. Taylor was every bit the playmaker and ballhawk that Berry is, but was 3 or so inches taller and about 30 pounds heavier. He also hit harder than most linebackers and was just as fast as Berry.

Taylor, R.I.P., was truly the one in a lifetime prospect that many people talk about and was as complete a Safety, Defensive Back, or Defensive Player in general that you will ever see. Bottom line.

Back
Top Bottom