ESPN: Reports Dolphins Dominate Defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN: Reports Dolphins Dominate Defense

or maybe the o just blows the big one

If this was after the third preseason game I would agree. However the defense generally is quicker getting up to speed and thats with a consistent returning offensive system. We are implementing a new offense with new personnel while the defensive system and personnel are largely the same. Add to the fact we are in week 1 of camp and I am not overly concerned at this point.

Miami was 5th in scoring defense last year. The Jets were 6th. I really don't care how many yards we give up as long as were not letting the other team score at will.

If not for for the fact that we were embarrassed by the Jags to a tune of 41-0 early in the season we might have been 5th and the Phins 6th, so I think the "considerably easier" claim is wishful thinking.

I feel i should apologize for the 'over-aggressive nature' of some of the dolphins fan on here. You made one comment about how our defense is better than our offense and people respond by smack-talking against the jets just because your a jets fan. You speak the truth and some people just see the jets logo and attack. Tsk.

Miami was 5th in scoring defense last year. The Jets were 6th. I really don't care how many yards we give up as long as were not letting the other team score at will.

If not for for the fact that we were embarrassed by the Jags to a tune of 41-0 early in the season we might have been 5th and the Phins 6th, so I think the "considerably easier" claim is wishful thinking.

With Trent Green at QB, I think we're going to be able to pound you guys with Ronnie for 100+ yards (again) and blow your DBs minds with our receivers this year. If Ted Ginn is out there at receiver, your safeties better get waaaay back in centerfield. You might want to have 3-4 guys camp out on your 10 yard line for kick/punt returns too. :chuckle:

I feel i should apologize for the 'over-aggressive nature' of some of the dolphins fan on here. You made one comment about how our defense is better than our offense and people respond by smack-talking against the jets just because your a jets fan. You speak the truth and some people just see the jets logo and attack. Tsk.

It's cool man. I don't mean to be disruptive, but I do have an interest in what the Phins are doing. Gotta expect to get some flack when posting behind enemy lines.

you see you gotta take this as a good and bad thing. see one on side it could just mean Miami has a nasty *** defense and no offense can stand a chance against them or it could mean that our offensive line sucks that bad and its like walking through an open door for the defense. If this is the case then be ready for a long long season, but to stay on the optimistic side lets just say its still early in camp.

With Trent Green at QB, I think we're going to be able to pound you guys with Ronnie for 100+ yards (again) and blow your DBs minds with our receivers this year. If Ted Ginn is out there at receiver, your safeties better get waaaay back in centerfield. You might want to have 3-4 guys camp out on your 10 yard line too for kick/punt returns too. :chuckle:

2 things in that statement I consider to be legit.

1. Brown for 100+ a game. The guy has talent and the Jets run D was miserable last year. If your O-line sorts itself out and manages to get good chemistry going then I don't doubt he'll be able to attain those numbers.

2. Ginn on punt an kickoff returns. If the guy can replicate what he did in college at the NFL level then the Phins will be able to get by with a lower/middle echelon offense this year. Cam could end up looking like a genius if Ginns returns are able to shorten the field enough to make up for the short comings of the Phins offense.

I don't fear Trent Green or the Phins receiving corps at all. Word out of camp is that most of the Jets DB's are playing above expectations. Once we get Revis into camp, DB could become a strong suit for the Jets defense.

Let's see it again and I'll be impressed. Sizeable differences between scoring defense and yards allowed tend to be fluky and often indicate an inordinate amount of good fortune rather than skill and design.

Not surprising at all....It will get better but how much is the question.

Having a new play book , a new QB , a new QB , a new WR , and a new O-line a new OC/HC , playing against a top 5 D that's been together more than few years , in the first week of camp , does it surprise anyone that our D is dominating early on? If our O gets to the point of actually being able to compete with this D then we sould be fine against 80% of the D's in the NFL.
I've always believed that playing against superior opponents raises your own level of play.
Yeah, this really doesn't concern me nearly as much as if it were the other way around. If the ESPN article said that the Dolphins Offense was Shredding the Defense, then i'd be very worried, but the fact that a Defense that pretty much makes most offenses they face look pathetic, is making an offense with two rookie O-Lineman, a new offensive scheme and a new QB getting used to his O-Line and Receivers doesn't seem like news, it seems pretty much what I expected out of the first 2 or so week of training camp.

Let's see it again and I'll be impressed. Sizeable differences between scoring defense and yards allowed tend to be fluky and often indicate an inordinate amount of good fortune rather than skill and design.

That may be, but tell me...would you rather give up more yards or more points? The Jets defense gave up a lot of yards no doubt, but they were in the top 10 when it came to 3rd and 4th down conversion percentage. In other words teams where able to mount long drives on them, but more often then not they came away with 3 points or none. Bend but not break.

I hear that Carey is holding off Taylor very well thus far.
If you can defend the DPOY's rush... I think he'll be okay.

When your offense can handle your defense, you should be worried about your defense.

Hate to agree with a green slime fan but you are right man. At this time of year when we are essentially re-tooling our offense with a new HC our D should be ahead of our O. I would be very concerned if our D were not able to handle (non manhandle) the Offense at this point of camp/preseason.

Thanks for your line of common sense. Now go back to worrying if the Indians will revolt vs. the hard *(_ Chief (Mangini) and keep that lucky rabbit foot around every time you see your boy Chad go back to pass hoping no DL smashes into his knee or the arm stays glued to the body LOL. No serioulsy don't mind intelligent talk from Jets fans.

That may be, but tell me...would you rather give up more yards or more points? The Jets defense gave up a lot of yards no doubt, but they were in the top 10 when it came to 3rd and 4th down conversion percentage. In other words teams where able to mount long drives on them, but more often then not they came away with 3 points or none. Bend but not break.

Obviously you want to give up less points, but my point is that statistic is only relevant to last year. It's quite possible that without a little more talent your defense could break a bit more this year.

Obviously you want to give up less points, but my point is that statistic is only relevant to last year. It's quite possible that without a little more talent your defense could break a bit more this year.

I wont go into it too much because I don't want to thread jack, but I can assure you that the Jets have added talent at the DL, LB, and DB positions, and they've also gotten younger. Whether or not it all comes together on the field is anyones guess at this point.

2 things in that statement I consider to be legit.

1. Brown for 100+ a game. The guy has talent and the Jets run D was miserable last year. If your O-line sorts itself out and manages to get good chemistry going then I don't doubt he'll be able to attain those numbers.

2. Ginn on punt an kickoff returns. If the guy can replicate what he did in college at the NFL level then the Phins will be able to get by with a lower/middle echelon offense this year. Cam could end up looking like a genius if Ginns returns are able to shorten the field enough to make up for the short comings of the Phins offense.

I don't fear Trent Green or the Phins receiving corps at all. Word out of camp is that most of the Jets DB's are playing above expectations. Once we get Revis into camp, DB could become a strong suit for the Jets defense.

Revis is currently scheduling his courses for the upcoming semester back at Pitt. :sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

Back
Top Bottom