Espn reports on Boston | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Espn reports on Boston

I would definitely, definitely like this to happen. OPTIONS in the first round. As I was saying before. Assume we work out some deal with Damian McIntosh that makes him a fin but doesnt pay him as much because of the ??? surrounding his ankle.

Imagine this situation...

You step into the draft at pick #20. Talents are dropping to teams in a flurry of activity and some guys get taken higher than you thought they should have...while others are falling for reasons you can't possibly explain.

You have a question mark at RT because of McIntosh's health, you've got about the best RB/FB situation you possibly could have, you've gone out already and spent money on a good guard and dont want to give up too much for a position that isn't all that hard to fill in the NFL, you've got a Center you've been grooming for years but who hasn't shown the kind of potential you once thought he would, your linebacker situation is backed out the door, you've got three high paid quality starting CBs, a pro bowl SS and a solid FS who has been promised the start, two unbelievably good DEs, and 3 solid guys at DT. You gave up a 3rd round equivalent for someone at QB you think has some potential and you managed to keep the incumbent starter who could be an IDEAL backup QB in the NFL. In other words, you have question marks. Not big ones, just enough that you could use a solid to excellent player at any number of positions, but don't particularly NEED one at any position. Its time to figure out who the best player on the board is, and you salivate as a few of them you never dreamed would be there fall toward you...

OH WAIT!!! Crap, didn't we forget somethin? WIDE RECEIVER. A big phreaking, gaping hole at 2nd (and 3rd) WR that you failed to fill in free agency this year or years past, or in past drafts. This, is a NEED. This, dwarfs the need at ANY other position...makes them look downright settled with pro bowlers compared to the chicken scratch you've got on paper at the WR position. You look sadly at a few of the players on the Big Board that are still there waiting to be plucked, but with immense difficulty you force yourself to look away from the Big Board and instead look at the positional rankings.

"Well, who's the best WR we've got left on the board?" You ask. "That would be Player X" says your assistant. You didn't have a solid first round grade on the guy, you figured he would be taken somewhere between the bottom of the 1st and the beginning of the 2nd round. But, a run at the position forces your hand, because you know the guys worth anything will be gone by the time you pick again in the 3rd round.

So you buck up, put on your game face, and start looking at the positives. This, after all, should by all means be a pretty talented WR. You start to smile and get ready for interviews...forcing yourself not to hear the names of guys you knew had a real shot at being pro bowl talents fall shortly after you to teams who you suspect, don't even know what they are getting.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
It's amazing so many people would be against a 3rd rounder for david boston when we havent had a receiver come close to doing what he can. When healthy he has the ability to be better than chambers...he hasnt missed a lot of time. He had one season where he missed 8 games. the rest. 16, 16,16,14.. with jerry sullivan as his WR coach... 1600 yards 8 tds... 1200 yards 7 tds, thats where he was the only option and had no help. Hes dealt with the AZ qbs/flutie/brees... fiedler/feeley would be fine. the guy can play.
even last year in sd in 14 games he had 70 recs. 900 yards and 7 TDs.

so he likes to do things on his own, he likes to weight train on ihs own(seems to be working) he isn't the best team guy, but ricky likes to do things alone too. He would not criticize a winning team, hes not an ******* like TO, he doesnt demand the ball every play like moss...As long as the team doesn't have a problem with his personality, it shouldnt even be an issue, we should be pursuing him actively

we would be stupid to give up the next wade smith or taylor whitley or some other 3rd round pick for the risk of david boston IMO

I agree. Boston for a 3rd rounder is well worth it, and it opens up many 1st round opportunities.

CKParrothead:

I agree with you on this fact. I would much rather be able to pick The Best Available Player with the number 20 rather than The Best Player on the board that fits our needs

Getting Boston will allow us "Free Range" in the draft. Our WR's will be set, and we can then draft The Best Available Player

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
So, you take the best OL left at that pick, Carey maybe.

No, no, no.

That's not the Dolphin way!

You take a CB, because he's "the most gifted athlete on the board". ;)

That's step one in the "How to Draft in the First Round" handbook, written by Dave Wannstedt.

Originally posted by LandlockdFinFan

No, no, no.

That's not the Dolphin way!

You take a CB, because he's "the most gifted athlete on the board". ;)

That's step one in the "How to Draft in the First Round" handbook, written by Dave Wannstedt.
Man I hope Chris Gamble isn't available when we pick:smackhead

We take The Best Available Player on the board

Originally posted by LIQUID24

Man I hope Chris Gamble isn't available when we pick:smackhead

Regardless of the needs of the team, you KNOW that Wannstedt is chomping at the bit for that guy. If there hadn't have been so much bad press about the lack of offense, I GUARANTEE, he'd draft defense.

You know he would.

Originally posted by KATSKAN
He won't be the first one....who cares what you do off the field as long as you get it done on the field. Give him a tryout and if he ruins it, cut him.

See.......that's my view. I don't care if he's a goth and goes to secret vampire meetings in his time off. As long as he's breaking 60 yard TD runs on the field then good for him.

I'd make this deal in a HEARTBEAT... A third rounder for a guy who not that long ago was one of the elite WRs while playing for a very bad Cardinal team...

What do we have to lose?? A third rounder?? Big deal go for it.

If we pay anything more than a 3rd I would say no way, but I am not the GM... so roll the dice:-}

What you've got to understand is that Wannstedt falls victim to trends too easily and this is why GM power was taken away from him. Wannstedt directed his draft picks very very strategically. I liken it to when Oakland drafted Sebastian Janikowski. Remember that? The year prior to that draft the Raiders had lost like, something ridiculous like 5 games on last minute FG misses and the generally horrible kicking game. So what did Gruden do? Drafts a kicker in Round 1. Ever hear the term "Don't use a cannon to kill a mosquito." ? Obviously Gruden never heard of it. And neither has Dave Wannstedt.

We get victimized by teams spreading us out on defense with 3 and 4 WR sets and having to rely on poorly-equipped Jerry Wilson in order to handle teams that have a decent slot WR. We get beaten badly...once on national tv in what was one of the worst Dolphins losses in history. So what does Dave do? Draft a nickel CB in the first round. You say that was the best talent available? I say thats a load of crap. We put the blinders on, either QB Brees or CB.

But that semi-fictitious situation I wrote out definitely reminds me of the Eddie Moore thing

Back
Top Bottom