Espn Seems To Think Miami's Backfield Is The 5th-worst In The Nfl

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SCLSU Mud Dogs, Jul 7, 2018.

1. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

It's an insider article but this reddit thread provides the full list. It's pretty garbage.

2. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I love drake he's gonna prove alot of people wrong

3. SCLSU Mud Dogs

If he can stay healthy

4. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I can huff and puff and be all bothered by this thoroughly horrible ranking or I can just enjoy the success of the team that much more when it comes.

I was a Kenyan Drake fan before we selected him so I was always going to believe in his talent. What he did last year affirmed to me that he was exactly who I thought he could be.

If you offered me Chrisitan McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon or Jordan Howard for Drake, I know I'd pass.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  5. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

6. SCLSU Mud Dogs

Now that last part is a bit of a stretch. I think at this point, I'd take McCaffrey and Gordon over Drake.

7. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Opinions, opinions, opinions. Sure there are a number of teams with higher profile backs than Miami. By that I mean backs that are under 30, have either had a decent amount of NFL success or entered the league with a decent amount of draft hype. I'm sure people outside of Miami see Gore as being on his last legs, Drake as a young and unproven prospect and Ballage as a complete wildcard (could be a contributor or non-factor).

I just like that there seems to be no entitled backs or receivers on the roster. Nobody complaining because the team as a whole didn't run the ball enough or they didn't get x number of carries. No receivers complaining about their individual targets, receptions or td opportunities. Just a group players that will let the spotlight shine on different players on a week to week basis. It will make Gase's and Tannehill's job easier.

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  8. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I can't say I blame them, I mean even if Drake was the 5th leading rusher from the time he became our primary back during that same 8 game sretch the team overall was still 25th in rushing yards.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  9. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

The only one i thought about was Howard. Hard pass on the other two

10. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Drake proved to be one of the best (If not the best) RB in the final quarter of last season... Gore will probably be the backup in a sense (He will probably end up with as many touches as Drake by years end) this coming year, even though he again was very effective last year...Ballage has been the talk of camp, and many believe could have been a huge steal for the Dolphins.

Yes, ESPN yet again proving they are actually the last word in sports information....Well actually the last place you should get your sports information.

joenhre likes this.
  11. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Shifty Gold Administrator Finheaven VIP

Meh. No one will know for sure until the season starts. Until then, it's all opinion. And we all know what opinions are like.

lurking, crumpdaddy and joenhre like this.
  12. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I stopped paying attention to what anyone at ESPN has to say a long time ago.Too much New York/New England bias and a lot of lazy reporting. I know that I am excited to see what Drake can do as the starter from the start. Also happy to have a future HOFer as the #2 guy. Gore proved last year that he can still play. Very excited about Kalen Ballage's potential especially in the passing game. I am confident that Gase will use all these guys to their strengths.

Anvil35, Goin` Deep and FinaticalOne like this.
  13. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you.

Exactly.

Drake's potential is through the roof but until he can prove it for 16 games, the assumption will be that he has durability concerns.

14. Mach2

Mach2 Active Member

I wouldn't give ESPN any more credibility than the crazy cat lady next door.

There was a time when ESPN got 20 hours of viewership per week out of me. Now, I very very rarely watch, or go to their website.

tay0365, rickd13 and FinaticalOne like this.
  15. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

Espn was stupid five years ago. Now they cover professional wrestling as part of their journalistic endeavors.

16. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Also remember everything drake did after taking over as starter he did with the defense knowing no threat of a passing game and knowing are passes would be within 5 yards of the LOS. Drake excels is Tanne excels. If RT looks like his normal self than 0 reasons that drake cant be 5.0 ypc. I like it better when we are ****ted on . F them.

17. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

If Drake stays healthy, some people will feel stupid. I do think there's valid concern there, as he's never been a starter for 16 games and had a rap as injury prone coming out of college.

Hoping he proves a lot of people wrong.

18. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't care what espn has to say about our team good or bad. The only thing that matters is what the team does out on the field. Time will tell who's right and who's wrong.

19. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

It's BSPN … yeah, they lost credibility decades ago. Sure, if you're a team in New York, Los Angeles, Dallas or Boston, it's great, it's like your local network. But for teams in normal markets without a fleet of bandwagon fans … it's neither news nor analysis … it's spin and highlights. It's a bigger story when their analysis actually makes sense.

20. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Well only if we have terrible defensive coaches takent is top 5 to at least top 10 in NFL. No excuses.

21. jlfin

jlfin old pro

He already has.

22. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

Quick question... how many preseason rankings have been 100% accurate forecasts?

Mock Drafts predicting the actual draft?

Predictions are like opinions. Wait...

23. Bruh Man

Bruh Man Member

I know there are questions about Drake staying healthy, Gore still having something left, and Ballage as a rook but that's really low.

dcm likes this.
  24. 06HEMI

06HEMI Well-Known Member

Time will tell. It's not really something to get upset about it's just an opinion which we are allowed to agree or disagree with.

25. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

[​IMG]

Pesky ESPN...

26. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Read that earlier today on my google. I do have to say. I gave that a huge laugh and didnt ruin my day. Cause thats definitely false.

27. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

No disrespect meant to you brother, but I didn't know anyone watched or read ESPN anymore?

28. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Put another way -- I'd bet at least 26 teams would love to have our RB stable.

If Drake continues to emerge and Ballage sprouts as expected (based on his outstanding physicality + smarts) we're easy top 5 in this category IMO

29. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

28. Miami Dolphins (28)

Top three backs: Kenyan Drake, Frank Gore, Kalen Ballage

Projected unit stats: 330 carries, 1,379 yards, 8 TDs; 72 receptions, 554 yards, 2 TDs

Outlook: Drake has registered only 166 carries since being drafted in the third round of 2016, but his career 5.0 yards per carry supplies plenty of reason for optimism. He enjoyed a mini breakout down the stretch last season, pacing the league with 444 rushing yards once promoted to a full-time role in Week 13. He's expected to get the first shot at lead-back duties, but 35-year-old Gore, who is averaging 3.80 YPC over the past three seasons, also will be involved. Fourth-round rookie Ballage has generated some hype, but he'll need to dramatically improve on ugly efficiency at Arizona State.

superphin likes this.
  30. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy...and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

I just don't click on the links anymore (especially ESPNs). So much doom and gloom projected for this team in every facet. Why bother? We all know we have the POTENTIAL to be a good team. Patiently waiting for Sep. 9.....

31. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Yeah, I refuse to waste my time with those people.

32. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey hasn't shown much yet imo, watched quite a bit of him last year and he has trouble breaking through ANY type of contact and most of his TDs were just really good play designs where he was wide open and schemed to be that way...

The other 2 Id probably take both over Drake from a neutral standpoint

superphin likes this.
  33. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

I know they've had some controversy lately (which imo could easily be staged publicity stunts), but ESPN is still the #1 sports network in the us, a 40 BILLION dollar company etc... I feel like Fox Sports and NBC SN are both very big sports networks, yet both of them would love to have ESPN's ratings....think they are doing ok still

34. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Even Miami Dolphin fans who are sky high on Drake, like me, must concede to a small sample size. In that stretch he was simply awesome and he was playing with Cutler and a pretty poor o-line. If we project the numbers out he's a top back in the NFL. Projecting is expectations thorny cousin and we all know how if we have huge expectations it can come crashing down on us. The Dolphins have failed over and over for quite a while and the National mind set is that we'll screw up again and fail. I don't blame Vegas or ESPN. The narrative will change when we change it on the field.

But, most of us here in Dolphin land believe in Tannehill, Gase and the stunning make over of the entire roster. I think we'll cruise into the play offs as one of the hot teams going forward but let's tap the breaks until they put pads on!

72 silky, russst and lurking like this.
  35. sandaal72

sandaal72 Member

Agreed. Gase seems to value the interchangeable parts approach a la New England. I wonder if a piece of this has to do with Tannehill's personality-type. Brady doesn't seem to care too much about his receiver's feelings.

36. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

They make you pay to read those opinions. That tells you all you need to know and hopefully not many of you do it.

37. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin A True Fan

Cool story

SuperMarksBros. likes this.
  38. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Miami has a lot to prove. The running game was inconsistent last year, but certainly picked up with Drake. That's really a big question this year. Can the running game improve to the point where it's maybe top 10 in the league? I think it can be that good, with the additions of Sitton and Kilgore on the offensive line, plus Gore to complement Drake.

39. EmperorPhin

EmperorPhin Scout Team

Is this ranking by talent or wokeness. ESPN usually favors wokeness in their rankings

40. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

That's pretty much how I see it as well.

tay0365 likes this.