ESPN's Chris Mortensen said.............. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said..............

Killa_B

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Miami even with AJ Feely will look hard at Kurt Warner as possible # 2 qb.

I'm afraid Warner would be a repeat of Brian Griese. Throws a nice ball when he has time but put anyone on his tail and he's road kill or he throws a pick ... no mobility or elusiveness AT ALL ... and fumbles a lot .... his last game with the Rams, he fumbled SIX times ... he's never been on the field since!

gearhead said:
I'm afraid Warner would be a repeat of Brian Griese. Throws a nice ball when he has time but put anyone on his tail and he's road kill or he throws a pick ... no mobility or elusiveness AT ALL ... and fumbles a lot .... his last game with the Rams, he fumbled SIX times ... he's never been on the field since!

I have to agree. I don't like Fiedler as a starter, but Warner is not an improvement in my mind. As you said, at least Fiedler can move around. Warner should retire. I just don't see him regaining his 2001 form.

Damaged goods. Warner is super talented as a passer. But the Griese analogy is dead on. The hand injury and concussions, combined with age, have done him in. He's becoming a sitting duck back there. And he constantly fumbles. In his last 4 significant games (excluded are the three in which he combined to throw 15 passes), Warner has fumbled 14 times and been sacked 22 times.

In Warner's defense, Mike Martz left him in too long in New York. Warner suffered a concussion early in the first half. And Martz responded by rushing Marshall Faulk a whopping 9 times, while Warner throws 54 times. Mike Martz said after the game that it was one of the biggest mistakes he's ever made.

But as much as you'd like to see a guy with those skills coming off the bench, he's really not the "come-off-the-bench" type. Great backup QBs tend to be warriors. Guys who rally the troops and make everyone better. This is what Jay Fiedler does. He's a tough guy. A bulldog. And his teammates love him for it. He's great off the bench. Witness the Washington game. Warner isn't fiery enough to be a great backup IMO. And his game (and body) has regressed a great deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FO at least brings him in to check him out...we are going for "competition and depth" right? I don't think he's got it anymore, but who knows...

This wouldn't be the first time Mort's been WAY off base about the Phins.

Actually, Mort mentioned us FIRST . . . along with about two other teams . . . as teams who might possibly offer him a chance to start. Then, he listed off about 8 other teams that would look at him for a backup. I think it is just total speculation on his part though. To Warner's credit, Martz completely screwed the offense up in my opinion. As Muck mentioned, Martz gave up on using Faulk (even out of the backfield on short passes which was their bread and butter play under Vermeil). Warner faced the same problem Griese did. He's not very mobile, and defensive linemen were able to spot rush him to death. Personally, I would like to see him end up back with Vermail in Kansas City . . . who is still running the same style offense that made Warner a two-time MVP.

Since the Dolphins right now are all about insurance policy FA signings, yeah I would not be surprised if they sniffed up Warner's skirt to see if he has the testicular fortitude to play in this league anymore. There's no guarantee that Feeley will be ready to play and win for us this season, his first in our system and only his 4th as a pro. And if that falls through, then our backup plan is Jay Fiedler...our groundhog day Quarterback.

I like Jay as a guy that can come in during any one game and lead the troops to a victory...or even over a stretch of a few games. But that assumes we have an established starter, because that is the situation where Jay would make the ideal backup QB. We don't have an established starter. We have a 4th year unheralded guy who lost his starting job in college, won some games two years ago (while not putting up very impressive stats no less), and waffled between 2nd and 3rd string in Philly this year. So, it might be wise to take a look at a guy like Warner as a roll of the dice insurance policy...especially if we draft a 1st round WR like Evans, Woods, Jenkins, or Clayton (Reggie will not be there now that Mike Williams is out of the draft).

We have a detail-oriented offensive coordinator who concentrates on matchups and uses a playbook derived from Coryall, a cousin to Martz's playbook, we have an established star at RB, two high quality starting WRs, and if we get a 1st or 3rd rounder that makes a third one (whether it be Derrius or the 3rd rounder)...plus a good TE and FB situation. What we're missing is offensive line at the moment. If we can manage to shore that OL up somehow it is a similar situation to ones that Warner has stepped into and succeeded before...in spades.

BUT, we don't know that the OL will even be decent.

We also don't know whether or not Warner is washed up or just caught some bad breaks in St Louis because of Martz' unwillingness to establish the ground game like he did in 1999.

We also don't know if AJ Feeley is a bonafied star in the making or a flash in the pan guy who just benefitted from his team stepping up and winning games practically for him.

What we do know, is that Jay Fiedler is not the QB to lead this team to the super bowl.

with an improved o-line i would welcome a warner signing, if the price is right :woot:

If Warner came for the veteran minimum, with the understanding that he had to earn a spot, I'd be all for that. I think he's washed up, but if there's no risk attached, that's fine.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will be the case.

I would only sign if he would take a serious pay cut and agree to leave his big mouth wife in St. Louis. Also he needs to change his attitude, his teammates help him win not just Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom