ESPN's Mort reports according to another forum.. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN's Mort reports according to another forum..

byroan said:
It'll make all the fans happy, we know he won't be back next year!

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Knowing we are rid of Wannstedt would be a big sigh of relief and it would be nice to see Wayne taking some action....

when have you seen Wayne make a decision to appease the fan base? When has he made a decision to be popular? Not one that I can think of. This is rumor non-sense. We will stay-to until the end of the season. Even with a new coach and the exact same players I'd venture to say we'd be alot better then this year with a year of the Oline growing, Boston back, maybe a healthy RB and everyone together to work again next preseason. On top of that....draft a QB in the first rd :)

jbond said:
when have you seen Wayne make a decision to appease the fan base? When has he made a decision to be popular? Not one that I can think of. This is rumor non-sense. We will stay-to until the end of the season. Even with a new coach and the exact same players I'd venture to say we'd be alot better then this year with a year of the Oline growing, Boston back, maybe a healthy RB and everyone together to work again next preseason. On top of that....draft a QB in the first rd :)

Thank you!!! Jbond earns my eternal respect for this comment.

No NFL owner worth his salt should, or would, make a decision on a coach simply to appease the fan base, especially at midseason. There's no evidence that Wannstedt is hurting Huizenga's pocketbook. In fact, by firing him on Monday, Wayne would take a hit for the 2 years remaining on Wanny's contract. That would hurt far more than the uncertain prospect of fans staying home because Wanny's in charge.

Winning teams sell tickets, regardless of the coach. Losing teams (usually) don't. If Trestman or Bates takes over and guides the Phins to a 4-12 record on the year, that's not going to have any different effect on ticket sales.

There may be good reasons to fire Wannstedt on Monday, but the idea that he's hurting Huizenga financially by remaining as coach is not among them.

I would have though it hit him in the pocketbook.

He owns the stadium, gets revenue from the parking and concessions so if nobody turns up he's not making as much. He's got the money for tickets, for sure, but there's more to be made if people go to the game and spend.

Sooner or later the concession owners and sponsors are going to make a noise about the product not selling their goods.

GazPhin said:
He owns the stadium, gets revenue from the parking and concessions so if nobody turns up he's not making as much. He's got the money for tickets, for sure, but there's more to be made if people go to the game and spend.

Sooner or later the concession owners and sponsors are going to make a noise about the product not selling their goods.

Right, but people aren't going to be more or less likely to come because Wannstedt is coaching. They're less likely to come because the team is bad. That's not going to get better this year, regardless of who's coaching. People aren't going to come to the stadium in droves just because Marc Trestman or Jim Bates is in charge.

Hear you...

but I think the product is bad because of Wannt and his endlessly conservative approach which is predicated on being error free. Change the coach, change the approach and there may be something worth watching.

For example, if the new coach feels that you need to go for the high risk high reward type of play 30% of the time instead of less than 5% of the time, maybe you're more excited about what you'll be watching.

Maybe the new coach has the brief to evaluate the talent so that he knows who he wants as his core next term and AJ Feeley gets a proper shot instead of Wanny's mistress getting the ball the whole time. If I'd already paid for my ticket, I'd turn up to see what someone else calling the plays could do for sure. I know what I'm getting from the Wanny and Jay double act of shame so there's no way I'd waste my time at 0-6 with all 6 L's being divisional games, therefore there's no hope of the playoffs even statistically.

If we don't fire him while the kettles hot, maybe we finish the season one under 500 with Dave or close to it, and Wayne has a change of heart and thinks well that ain't so bad considering.......... Do it now , for our future, we have seen what Dave has done in Chicago, and what he is doing here ,now.

Fire Dave now. Keep Rick for now. Whomever is interim HC will have to answer to the new GM in January anyways.

Firing Dave now just means that we can potentially evaluate some bench talent (QB's) now, instead of after next years draft.

Every week you keep, Dave, is another week you are behind for next season. Face it, even the most myopic homer knows this season is gone already.

jaxdolfan said:
Fire Dave now. Keep Rick for now. Whomever is interim HC will have to answer to the new GM in January anyways.

Firing Dave now just means that we can potentially evaluate some bench talent (QB's) now, instead of after next years draft.

Every week you keep, Dave, is another week you are behind for next season. Face it, even the most myopic homer knows this season is gone already.
Exactly. We need to see what we have for next year. If AJ pans out then that is one less position that we need to look for.

X-Con said:
EDIT: October 10th? Hmmm...

You guys believe message board rumors too much.
It was on the FOX pregame last sunday! Not a message board.

Back
Top Bottom